Chapter 35 (Their Future)

Start from the beginning

"Other than that I found out she's been sexting some French boy in Paris, took back my ring when I learned he was the one who drained my accounts both times, and sent her on a plane ride to France to fend for herself, everything is great, sweetheart."

He was both angry and heartbroken, something I had hoped to see when he first sent me back here. I had wanted him to suffer, now I only wanted him to move on. Hopefully he was really giving up on her now. For far too long has he let her poison our family. She ripped us apart, turned us against one another, and ultimately she kicked me out of my own house. It was time that we heal and forget.

My father reached out to Brant, ruffling his hair while genuinely smiling at him. "Happy Birthday, son. My present to you is allowing my daughter to be with you. You're welcome."

Brant softly laughed in my hair. "Thanks, Phillip! It's a beautiful present."

My father had a proud look on his face as he said, "Of course she is, I made her." He pointed to the wall next to his bedroom door. "I made her right there to be exact."

"Dad!" I complained. I did not want to hear this story again. It's bad enough he told me once, a millionth time didn't make it any less awkward. He laughed, tugging me into his side as he kissed the top of my head. Still, what happened against that wall, I was glad it happened or I wouldn't be here today.

When we reached the kitchen, I was put to work by both Brant and my father while they chatted amongst themselves at the kitchen table. Turns out dad actually did get Brant a present. He pulled it out of his pajama pants pocket and laid it on the table for him to take.

I glanced over at them while preparing the food, anxiously awaiting for Brant to open the white envelope. I had absolutely no clue as to what my father got him. Brant pulled out a piece of paper first. "Roses are red, Violets are blue, if you have sex with my daughter tonight, I'll kill you. Love Phillip," Brant read aloud. He laughed at my father's written words and softly patted the glaring man's back. "That was very heartfelt, Phil."

My dad gave him a stern look that lasted all of two seconds before he cracked a smile and urged Brant to look in the envelope. "Aw, is there a bullet inside as a demonstration?" Brant cooed.

My father pouted. "Why didn't I think of that?"

I turned away for only a moment to stir the eggs I was scrambling, then looked back to see Brant frantically stuffing whatever it was into his pajama pocket. "I missed it!" I whined. "What is it?" Brant looked up to my father who was already smiling at my skittish looking boyfriend.

"It was nothing, Charlotte," my father dismissed. "Don't you have to take your pill in a couple of minutes."

I checked the clock on the stove, seeing that he was right. I grabbed my container from the counter, dumping out the pill for today. Just because they changed the subject to something important didn't mean I was going to forget about the mystery present my father gave Brant. It couldn't have been more embarrassing than the skimpy lingerie I received from Justin back at Christmas.

Brant was a dear, he fetched me some water to wash the pill down with, though I figured that had something to do with not having to worry about condoms in the future. He made certain that I took my birth control on time every day. Either he reminded me, my father, or my brothers. They were all diligent for very different reasons.

I tossed the pill into my mouth, washed it down my esophagus with the water, and continued to make Brant's special breakfast. He gently rubbed my tummy as if he was helping the medication settle in stomach. When I looked back at him to tell him to knock it off in joking manor, he cut me off when he let his lips collide with mine. "I'm going to take a shower," he quietly told me. "Don't let your father eat all of my food." I promised that I wouldn't and softly kissed his cheek. The twins came trudging in, sleepy looks on their faces. "Don't let your brothers eat all of my food either," he softly laughed. He nuzzled his nose into my collarbone. "I shall return to you my love."