Chapter 1 (Battles)

As the limo drove down the long bumpy dirt road, I couldn't help but notice the cows and horses in the fenced in grassy fields when we passed by. I'd be insane to overlook the scene, especially with the handsome men in cowboy hats riding those horses and herding those cows. I intently observed them, not just because I thought they looked nice, but mostly out of fear that Jack and Stella were going to make me do the same thing.  

The cowboys looked this way, their curiosity getting the best of them at the sight of the long black vehicle I was riding in. It was definitely going to be hard fitting in around here. Where I come from, their plaid shirts and cowboy boots would just gain laughter from every person they came across. I'm quite sure my black pencil skirt, baby blue ruffle top, and matching shoes were going to cause a uproar of laughter at the Young's home. With a heavy breath, I looked away from the range, touching the home screen button on my iPhone to see if I had any messages. "No bars" I muttered under my breath. "Just great." 

My dad didn't say how long I was staying, but I'm sure Chanel wanted me to suffer here permanently. What a fool my daddy is. How could he be so blind that he would send his own daughter away because she was being 'unruly' toward his fiancee and gaining bad publicity. It should've been a sign, he should've listened to my cry for help. She was evil, I would never believe she loved him, but I guess it's tough love time now. When she breaks his heart, I'll let him suffer, and then maybe after a couple of days, possibly weeks, I'll help him pick up the pieces.

I couldn't stop the angry tears from pricking my eyes, it just wasn't fair at all. He had the nerve to threaten my company too! I shook my head, trying to shake this rage brewing inside of me. My mom loved fashion, he knew I wanted to pursue her dream, not just to make her proud but him as well. Why was he doing this to me? Why was he in love with Chanel? I'd never accept their marriage. I'll stay here in Motown, Kentucky before I tell him that I'm happy he found her. I punched the black leather seat in front of me, startling Jives who willingly came along with me to drop me off. "Charlotte, are you okay?" he worriedly asked.  

I looked up through the privacy screen window which was let down, seeing his eyes glancing at me in the rear view mirror. He was actually concerned about my sanity. He should be use to my craziness by now.  "Look around us Jives! No, I'm not okay!"

For some reason he smiled, then snickered until he erupted in joyous laughter. Annoyed that he was amused by my pain, I rolled the privacy screen up and sulked in my seat. This was going to be torturous, I just knew it. I glanced out the car window as the limo made a right turn, hoping that the house we were nearing wasn't Jack and Stella's.

The roof shingles were old and worn, the white paint also looked rough thanks to the fact it was chipping away as the old two story house continued to age. On the other side of the gravel road was a pretty decent barn right next to a fenced in field that seemed to go on for miles and miles. There, in the midst of it all was a majestic black and white paint flicking his tail and grazing on the grassy plain. He was proud, beautiful, not to mention in charge. The fillies and mares around him were practically nudging him for attention. Sounds like most desperate women today.

I've always loved horses, I've even had riding lessons. It's been so long, I'm not even sure if I could possibly remember what to do. Maybe, just maybe, they'll let me ride the paint I just saw. If I did, that alone would make this stay worthwhile. I could see me now, my blonde hair swishing in the wind along with his black mane and tail. The joy on my face would be astounding, my smile like dazzling white diamonds. We'd ride for hours on this land, getting to know one another and become the greatest companion for each other. I sighed at the thought.

The limo halted at the house I didn't, but did, want to stop at. If this is where they live, then more than likely the paint horse belonged them. Suddenly I was excited, not to be here particularly, but just to see that gorgeous horse up close. I didn't wait for Jives to open the door for me, I crawled over and slung it open myself, making sure to grab my purse when I slid out from inside. 

There was only one word to describe the scent in the air, and that word was horrid. My nose crinkled, wanting to sink into my face and never return until I was a safe distance away. "Charlotte.." I blinked my watering eyes, turning my attention away from the house on the brink of condemnation and to Jives who was now standing beside of me with my light pink suitcases. 

"What do you want?" I grumbled. "I don't fairly like talking to people who laugh at my problems."

He reached over, his white glove covered hand ruffling my hair in order to make me glare at him in feign hate. "I wasn't laughing at your problems Charlotte" he told me. "I was laughing because I know you, and I know that this isn't going to phase you as much as you think. I actually feel sorry for the Young family. Whenever I return to get you, I'm almost scared that the house will be hot pink and bedazzled."

I crossed my arms, amused by my butler's words. Jives has always known how to make me laugh. Growing up, obviously I couldn't drive at such a age, so my father had Jives carry me to school or slumber parties. Now that I have my own license and work a lot more, we haven't been able to talk like we normally do, except for when I come home from work.

"No way Jives" I responded. "That would be extremely tacky, it wouldn't match the red barn."

He chuckled, allowing me to take my suitcases away from him. I told him goodbye, just a simple one because I have never been good at saying goodbyes. Jives understood, he just got into the limo and drove away without any other thought. I know that if I would've asked him, he never would have brought me here. He knew how Chanel was, he knew that my father was being careless with his fragile heart. I couldn't let it bring me down, no I had to be brave about this, about being here. 

"Charlotte?"

I looked to the run down house, smiling at the woman who I haven't seen since I was a little girl. I do remember her, just faintly. Her lush brown hair was tied up in a pony tail, and her smile was brighter than the sun itself. She was wearing some jeans that were tucked into her cowgirl boots and just a plain fitted red t-shirt. It could use some accessories, but she was so beautiful that it worked for her.

"Hi Stella" I greeted.

Quickly she ran over and engulfed me into a hug. I hugged her back, giggling to myself when she started going on and on about how grown up I was now and she hasn't seen me since I was yay high. Apparently yay high was waist high, because that's how tall she showed me I had been. 

"I don't remember much about that" I admitted. "I remember Brant mostly." The reason why I remembered Brant was because I use to think that he was the best person in the world and I may or may not use to have a little crush on him. Avery was really young the last time I saw her, she should be about fourteen now. I remember the day she was born. Brant and I colored in our coloring books for hours while we waited for Stella to give birth.

"Ah yes" Stella teased, nudging me in the side as we made our way toward her home. "I remember how you use to cling onto Brant like your life depended on it."

How embarrassing! I let out a awkward laugh, knowing that I couldn't deny it. When I was younger, I may or may not have been a chubby little thing. Almost everyone goes through a chubby stage, if you're fortunate not to have one, I applaud you for not having that hung over your head for the rest of life. I use to cling to Brant because he was nice to me, it was as simple as that. 

"Well Brant and Jack have gone to pick up some feed for the animals, come inside, you have to see Avery" Stella insisted. We stepped onto the creaky porch that she didn't seemed phased by at all. I was scared it would fall through for sure, but it didn't. 

She opened the door and I had a sense of familiarity once we stepped inside. The interior of the house was extremely beautiful and homey. I never would've guessed that it looked this lovely from the outside. It had a nice dark hard wood flooring in the living area, and a indian type of rug in front of the tan leather couch that faced a older TV. It wasn't a flat screen, but it was at least a television. 

Family pictures were scattered all around the deep maroon colored walls. Vintage looking furniture was also present in the room like an old timey sewing machine to give the house a older but nice effect. "Anything look familiar?" Stella asked, taking my suitcases from me.

I looked around the room until my eyes found the fireplace off the the right of the TV. "Brant and I use to roast marshmallows there" I told her when I pointed to the fireplace. "I remember because I was too scared to get too close to the fire and he always roasted mine for me."

Stella giggled in remembrance. I smiled a little at the memory. Brant use to be a little charmer. "Come with me Charlotte, you're sharing a room with Avery and she's excited to meet you."

Willingly I walked across the living room area and made a right down the hall. The first entry way on the left was the kitchen that connected to the dinning room. On down the hall a little ways on the right was the wash room and a half bathroom next door to it. At the end of the hall there was a cedar staircase that led up to the bedrooms. We climbed the steps all the way up to the floor and walked straight to the first one on the left side of the hall.

"You'll share a bathroom with Brant and Avery, I hope that's okay" she told me, and showed me the only door on the right which I was guessing was the bathroom she had mentioned.

"It's fine" I insured. She smiled in response and turned the circle white knob on the door we were standing in front of. The door squeaked open and I was impressed by the teenage room lying behind of it. 

There were two twin sized beds vertically on the left and right side of a window. They were wearing plain white comforters with a orange throw blanket stretched across to match the headboard and orange and white floral pillows. A white desk was sitting underneath the window in between the beds, a clear vase of marigolds sitting on top of it to give the room a sweet fragrance. 

I tore my eyes away from the flowers when I saw a beautiful young girl step out of her closet. She exclaimed, "Surprise!" making me laugh and applaud at her wonderful entrance. "Thank you" she grinned, bowing in gratitude. Avery was the definition of her mother. Just plain gorgeous. She too was in a pair of jeans and a regular tee, but she was a pretty girl, especially since she didn't wear make up. I try my best not to hide my face with make up, but my insecurities get the best of me sometimes. 

Avery's silky brown hair flowed past her shoulders and her eyes were as blue as I remembered Brant's being. "You must be Charlotte" Avery spoke up. Her eyes flickered over me and she nodded. "Yeah, you're definitely her. First thing is first city gal.." she said strictly but with a sparkle in her eye. "We have got to get you out of those clothes, as a matter of fact, just take your underwear out of your suitcase and things you'll need, but leave the clothes inside and toss those suitcases in the closet."

She was a sassy little thing that was for sure. I could tell by her tan that she was a hard worker, and her tone of voice told me that she wasn't going to be seen with a city slicker like myself. I was a city girl and proud, but Avery obviously wasn't having it.

"Avery.." Stella said in a warning tone.

"It's okay" I told Stella. "She has a point, but I don't have any other clothes." If I was going to stay here, I really didn't want it to seem obvious that I was a city girl. My clothes were the first to go.

"I have plenty of hand me downs that I'm sure you can wear" Stella offered. "I'll just go get them from my closet."

I thanked her, and she left Avery and I alone while she went to go search for them. I took Avery's advice and placed my suitcases on the bed on the right side of the bed and opened them both. "I'll take your bath supplies into the bathroom" Avery volunteered. 

I pulled out my shampoo, lotion, toothbrush, tooth paste, make up, hair irons, hair spray, hair brush. Lets just say I had a lot of things that needed to be in the bathroom. Avery sighed, looking over all of the stuff. She picked up my makeup bag, tossing it back into the suitcase without a care.

"No Avery, you don't understand" I said as I went to retrieve it. She smacked my hand, shaking her head in disapproval. I needed makeup, I wasn't blessed with a perfect face like her!

"All it would do is run. Around here we don't worry about looks unless we're going out as a family or to Peggy Ann's to have fun."

She tossed my irons back inside, my hairspray next to go. With a smile of triumph, she took the remaining items into her arms, telling me she would take the supplies to the bathroom. I let her go, even though I was scared of how I was going to look in the morning. Hopefully they were kind to me even when I was at my lowest hideous point. 

I looked at the clothes resting inside of my suitcase, knowing that I had to do this. I couldn't let this phase me, just like how Jives told me that it wasn't going to. I love the city, but something in my heart told me that staying here was going to be okay. Courageously, I shut the suitcases full of city memories, and tugged them to the closet. 

I had to do this, I had to reach my inner country. I didn't bother with carefully sitting my suitcase inside of Avery's closet, no, I slung them inside and slammed the door closed before I changed my mind. If my dad wants me to stay here, fine, I will prove that I rather live here anyway. For once, I was having a peaceful, Chanel drama free, afternoon. It felt great.

"Here are the clothes" Stella announced. I turned around, seeing that she was pushing in two large storage tubs into the room. Quickly I went over and helped her. "I want you to change into this one outfit first. It use to be my favorite."

Stella may be some years older than me, but her country style saved my butt big time. She popped off the top to a tub and pulled out some dark blue jeans, holding them up in my direction without looking to me, she was too busy searching for the next item. I took the pants from her, along with the black and red plaid vest she managed to find. She dug deeper into the tub and pulled out some black cowgirl boots that made me smile. 

"Hurry and go change" Avery said from the doorway. Lately I've been taking orders from a bossy fourteen year old, and so far the advice is turning out to be useful, why stop now? I didn't. I took the clothes and hurried out the room with them, excusing myself when I passed Avery.

Just when I stepped into the hall, I heard something I wasn't sure I was suppose to hear. "Dad, she's lived in her city her whole life, she's going to be nothing but trouble." 

It was a manly voice I didn't recognize, a judging voice that made me clutch the clothes in my hand. My heart did sink at the person's words, not because they were harsh, but because they thought I was going to a burden. I didn't want to be a burden to this family. The last thing I want is for someone's family to fall apart like mine was doing. 

They reached the top of the stairs before I could move my stone feet, which turned things into a terrible mess. I gave a little smile at the sight of Jack who I remembered more than Stella. He was a good man, and it definitely hadn't been his voice that said those things earlier. 

In embarrassment I fiddled with the clothes in my hands, letting my eyes flicker to a familiar blue pair. The guy was my age and had Brant's perfectly messy brown hair, it could only be him. The boy who I use to think was my hero growing up, he had definitely changed. 

"Hi Jack" I murmured in greeting. Jack has been my father's friend since kindergarten. We use to live here in Motown for a short while, that was until my father got his big break in acting. He's never lost contact with Jack though. 

I looked to Brant and smiled a little even though he seemed a little shocked at the moment. "Hi Brant." I looked down away from his eyes knowing that I could escape within three seconds because I was so close to the bathroom door. "I'll try to stay out of trouble" I said with a faint laugh at the end. 

I stepped into the bathroom, closing the door in behind me and locking it once it was shut. "I think she heard what you said" I heard Jack's deep voice say as they passed by the door. There wasn't a response. 

I turned my head and looked at myself in the mirror. My shoulder length blond hair had just been brushed through today and that was it. My blue eyes didn't compare to Avery's or Brant's. Right now they looked almost grey. I hated it when that happened. Most of the time they lightened when I wanted to cry, but I didn't want to, my eyes just did. 

I forced that feeling away and started disrobing. So two people didn't think I could make it here, I wouldn't let myself get discouraged by Chanel or Brant. Just before I was put on a flight to come here Chanel made sure I knew that she wanted me to suffer. I refuse to. While being here, I was going to have fun, and riding that paint horse out in pasture was definitely on my list of things to do. 

A knock made me jump as I pulled on the vest like shirt. I had already dressed in the jeans that fit perfectly. I finished buttoning the shirt and open the door. Avery smiled at me and held up a pair of red socks. "If you're going to wear those boots, you're going to need these."

I took the socks, carefully pulling them onto my feet. She looked me over, seeming proud about my makeover that she had suggested. "Hey Avery?" She nodded, watching as I pulled on the boots her mother had given me. They were a perfect fit, not too snug to hurt my feet, and not too loose to give me blisters. "Whose black and white gelding is that out there in the field across the driveway?"

In an instant she replied with, "Brant's." Might as well erase ride the paint horse off my to do list here. If Brant thought I was trouble, there was no way he would let me ride his horse. "Wait.. How did you know Ranger was a gelding?"

Wasn't it obvious? "Well, he's not out there jumping the mares and fillies" I explained. "I kind of guessed from his size, and I knew he wasn't a stud because he looked quite calm when I pulled into the drive. Studs are usually rambunctious aren't they?"

With her jaw dropped, she nodded in confirmation and I proudly smiled to myself. "Don't seem so stunned Ave, I love horses" I said with a shrug. "I use to ride a Mare named Coco. She was one of the best trail riding horses I have ever been on. That was a long time ago, I was about twelve."

Seeming impressed, she urged me to tell more about my horse experience. I told her about how I use to go to this center, kind of like an arena, and ride. They also had trails out back of the place if you wanted to ride on those. "I use to have a blast with Coco" I sighed. I laid across the twin bed I had claimed as mine, looking over to the other bed where Avery was resting. 

"So you're not a hopeless cause" Avery happily gleamed. "You have a little country in you." I hugged the floral decorative pillow to my chest, trying not to let my mind go to my father right now. It was hard not thinking about him, extremely hard. I was more worried than anything. 

"I heard what Brant said Charlotte" Avery suddenly confessed. "How could I not? He's dead wrong about you, okay? I think you're going to be just fine here."

Weakly, I gave her a grin of confidence and she frowned at how dull it was. She insisted that we finish going through her mother's clothes to find some things that would best suit me. Sluggishly I let her pull me up from the bed, managing to plop down onto the floor space next to the tubs and begin the search. 

Item after item we pulled out either went into the keep pile or over to the lock up for forever pile. Some things only stay in style once. Avery placed a black cowgirl hat on my head, giggling at the sight when I made funny faces at her. "You actually look normal" she teased.

I tossed a shirt at her face to quiet her. She laughed throwing it into the keep pile because we both thought the top was cute. Overall Avery and I bonded over the hour of time it took me to get settled. All the clothes in the tub had been washed before they were stowed away and I trusted them, so Avery helped me put my things into the dresser she cleared out for me and placed the multiple pair of boots into the shoe compartment at the edge of my bed. 

"Would you like to go see the animals?" Avery offered when we finished. Excited to see the paint horse again, I agreed to go check out the farm with her. I listened to everything she told me about herself on our way downstairs. She loves horses, loves riding, and I got to hear about this guy she likes. 

Playfully I nudged her at the mention. She blushed at my actions and told me that it was none of my business, though she had clearly made it known to me seconds ago. We walked out the house and made our way to the barn on the side of the house first.

We passed the barn, the doors to it being wide open and showing Jack inside dumping cow feed into a barrel. "Hi daddy" chirped Avery as we passed. 

He looked up from his task and shot us a smile before waving. "Hello girls. Have you missed the farm Charlotte?" 

"Of course, even if I barely remember it." He laughed, amused by my flattery. Before we could chat anymore, Avery tugged me along and showed me the cattle, chicken coop, and of course the quite smelly pigs. 

Finally I begged her to go see the horses. She inclined to my wishes. Arm in arm we walked across the yard on this actually beautiful day, going to see a group of wonderful creatures that have always peaked my interest. There was just something about a horse that fascinated me. We walked up to the white fence, but much to my disappointment, the black and white paint was no where to be found. 

"Brant must have taken Ranger out for a ride, sorry." I shook my head, letting her know that it was alright. She pointed to a pretty palomino horse grazing on the field. "That's Trixie, she's my horse." Avery simply whistled and the horse came trotting over. Trixie was elegant, stupendous, and was just plain beautiful.

Her blonde mane swayed like a white wheat field when she ran over, and her tan body was sleek and built to ride. She had one streak of white running down her nose and her eyes were a deep brown. Most horses have brown eyes. "Hey girl" Avery cooed when the horse galloped up to the fence and nudged her with her nose. I watched as Avery kissed her nose with a happy smile. The horse just stared at her with interest, wanting to know what they were going to do today. I could tell Avery spent time with this horse. She was the only one who came when Avery called, now that was remarkable.

"You can pet her Charlotte" Avery told me. "As a matter of fact, how about we go riding?" 

The thought of riding again was exciting but also nerve racking. I haven't ridden a horse in roughly about five years. Five years may not seem like a bunch, but it actually was. "I don't know Ave, it's been a while."

She shrugged. "Learning to ride a horse is the same as a bicycle, you never forget." She dragged me off to the horse barn with Trixie following on her side of the fence. Avery and I entered through the barn door, making sure to just shut the gate built to close so you don't have to shut the two big red doors. 

I would've been interested in how neat and tidy the barn was and even how it was built if it wasn't for Trixie who came in through the back door that was open. She trotted over to us and Avery encircled her arms around the horses neck for a moment. "Take this lead rope.." Avery said as she entered a tack room and came out with a rope that had a hook on it. "..and go out into the field. All of the horses are wearing halters, just find a horse you like and bring him or her back here to saddle up."

I thanked Avery and headed out the back of the barn into the grassy field. They had about eight horses all together, which meant that I had six different ones to choose from. Their were a couple of greys, bays, and I even saw a appaloosa, which is a half colored half speckled kind of horse, or even sometimes they have a whole speckled coat instead of just having spots on their rear.

No one compared to how Ranger looked, still, I settled on a pretty buckskin horse who had a nice tan coat and dark black mane. It was definitely a male, I could just tell by how he was built, and he was kind of wearing a dark blue halter. I was actually proud of myself at that moment. Avery was right, I wasn't a hopeless cause. 

I walked up the horse who didn't seemed disturbed by my presence at all. I touched his neck, and he looked up to me from his grazing position. "Is it alright if I ride you?" I asked him, even if he couldn't reply. I clipped the lead rope onto the tame horse's blue halter, and with no resistance, he followed me back to the barn. 

"You picked Spirit, nice choice" Avery praised. She then pointed to a saddle on the ground. "I'm sure you know how to do this."

Warily I smiled. "I use to." She didn't take that as a answer and told me to saddle up. I knew the first thing I had to do was put the saddle mat on him. After I tied him to a post built into the barn, I grabbed the mat and tossed it over him. Next was the saddle. It was a little heavy, but I didn't wimp out and finally got it on right. 

I reached under the horse and grabbed the front girt strap that I slowly tightened to perfection, but the back girt strap was different than the front. I remembered that you weren't suppose to tighten it as far as it could go around the stomach. Once they were in place, I hooked up the set of reins, which involved taking off his halter and replacing it with a bridle. Spirit willingly took the bit into his mouth and I pulled the reins back to the horn of the saddle.

"Avery, please tell me this is right" I begged. I may not have much farm experience, but hopefully I still had some horse experience so that I didn't look like a huge doofus around here.

Avery came over and inspected my straps and headgear, then gave my back a pat. "I knew you could do it Charlotte."

I'm excitement I hugged her. She laughed, but hugged me back and told me she was proud of me. You could hardly imagine how happy it made me to hear someone say that. With a happy smile, I put my left foot into the stirrup and pulled myself up onto the saddle. Automatically I put my feet in the stirrups, but Avery told me something I never thought of before.

"Don't use your stirrups" she said as she headed to Trixie. "If the horse ever starts to panic, the last thing you want is for your foot to be caught in the stirrup, trust me, it's happened to me before. I thought for sure I was going to die. Now we never ride with our feet in the stirrups."

I took my feet our as a caution and watched as Avery mounted her horse. When you're sitting on top of a horse, everything is different. The height, the view, the excitement of the upcoming ride, it all took over your body once you climbed onto the saddle. I grabbed my reins and lightly kicked Spirit so he would move. "There's a gate at the end of the fence that wraps around this field. Our riding trail is there." Avery motioned me to ride out the back door, and like the spunky teenage girl she is, she kicked Trixie a little bit and urged her to go faster. 

I copied her and made Spirit run out the barn  into the open field. There were no worries at that moment, just freedom. For over five years I haven't been on a horse, and I was sincerely regretting it now. As Spirit ran through the field and Avery and I laughed as we raced to the gate, nothing felt better than that. I had a feeling I was going to like it here, I was going to like it a lot.

Avery opened the gate when we arrived at it. I had Spirit to walk through the opening, but made him halt so we could wait for Avery to climb onto Trixie again. Avery and I took it slow on the trail, it was best that way because you never knew what might be on a trail. This was the perfect time for girl talk. 

"So, about this boy you like" I spoke up. "How cute is he?" We were riding side by side, making it easy to reach over and push me. I innocently smiled but urged her to tell.

"He's very cute, and his name is Jax" she murmured. I smiled to myself and pretended to be interested in the beauty of nature that was surrounding us. The trees shaded us from the beaming hot son, and there was a patch of wild flowers ever now and then that filled the air with their fragrance.  I shifted uncomfortably on my saddle and knew my thighs were going to be sore later.

"I don't want to talk about me though. I hear you use to have a thing for my brother" she started up. Avery was worse than her mother. 

"I was like three when that started!" 

"But you remember it" she cheekily sang. In annoyance, I decided to ignore her. She didn't let it go though, no, she had to tease me about it. I tuned her out and focused on the trail. Once she noticed I wasn't retaliating, she shoved me and pouted. "I'm only kidding Charlotte, besides, my brother is currently heart broken."

This got my attention. I looked to her to see a hurt expression. "What happened?" I quietly asked. I didn't know if I should ask or not, what if something really tragic happened?

"Caroline left him for the city" Avery explained. "She had dreams and left without a goodbye. Pretty much it was like he meant nothing to her."

The thought made my heart twist in pure agony. It explained why he thought so badly of me now. The girl he liked, possibly loved, she left him to be what I already was. A city girl. "Don't tell him that I told you Charlotte, try not to mention it at all, okay?"

I agreed with her, promising not to say a word. We fell silent for a couple more minutes into the ride. I've never had time to date, so I've never experienced heartbreak like that before. It had to be painful emotionally, just going through what I am with my dad is giving me a heavy heart, I couldn't imagine having a guy who I loved leave me behind without telling me what was going on or even trying to have a long distance relationship. Of course long distance relationships hardly work, but you'll never know until you try.

I sighed, pulling myself out of my deep thoughts as we neared a creek and a pretty wide clearing. In the distance of the clearing I saw two horses, one was Ranger, and the other was a red and white paint horse I didn't know. "CRAP!" Avery hissed. "That's Clay's horse!"

Avery kicked Trixie, causing her to bolt forward. Startled, I did the same but had no clue as to why we were panicking and I definitely didn't know a Clay. Still I kept up with her pace, pulling back on the reins when I saw that the plain suddenly dropped down into a lower valley.  "Whoa Spirit!" I shrieked. Luckily he stopped in time before we rolled over the grassy cliff.

Sounds of grunts and trash talk were down below. My eyes found Brant and some other guy rolling around in the dirt throwing fatal punches that hardly seemed to faze them. "Charlotte! Do something! Please!" Avery begged in distress.

Since she told me not to put my feet in the stirrups, I easily threw myself off the saddle, hurrying down the hill to where the boys were fighting. Thanks to my sudden curse of incoordination, I tripped on a fairly large rock, falling flat on my face. My right knee began to sting, but I ignored it and hopped back to my feet. 

Brant somehow pinned down the guy I'm guessing is Clay, but I grabbed his arm, tugging him off and into the grass. Clay was seconds from hitting him but I acted fast and threw myself at Brant, holding him tightly to my chest, guarding him from anymore blows.

"What are you doing?!" Clay exclaimed from behind me. "I could've hit you!"

I looked over my shoulder, a pair of confused and worried green eyes looking back at me. "What are you doing?" I asked back. "What's going on here period?"

I looked to Brant who was already looking up at me in surprise. He looked terrible. He had a busted lip and a couple of cuts on his face. A bruise was forming on his cheek, it was definitely going to hurt tomorrow if he didn't ice it when I forced him to get home. "I hate him" Brant grumbled under his breath. 

"Same" Clay growled. I shot Clay a look, he tilted his head, letting his eyes flicker over me for some reason. "Who is this beautiful girl Brant? Have you replaced Caroline?"

I pushed Brant back when he went to start another fight. "I'm an old friend. My name is Charlotte, though I'm sure Brant has never mentioned me" I told Clay. He smiled me, not even wincing about his cut lip. 

Clay stood to his feet and extended his hand to me, wanting to help me up. Brant smacked his hand away, making Clay give him a tired look. It was kind of obvious that Brant was the ignition to this flame, Clay was just defending himself. "I was just trying to help her Brant, her knee is bleeding."

Alarmed by Clay's words, I looked down to my knees to see a little blood seeping through the jean fabric on my right pant leg. "Are you okay Char?" Brant asked.

It stung a little, but I was quite sure I was okay. They didn't think so. Brant rolled up my pant leg to see the damage and Clay actually pulled off his t-shirt and ripped off a piece of fabric to use as a bandage. Two things caught my interest. They weren't fighting anymore, and Clay's upper body was sculpted to perfection. His all over tan told me that he worked shirtless. No farmer tan lines for him. I nearly fainted at the sight of how cute he was. He had three inch long blond hair, not to mention those stunning green eyes and chiseled features. He had the face of an angel.

A hit to my arm made me look away from Clay's glory. Brant glared at me, he had caught me staring and drooling over the guy he hated. "Would you knock it off Char" he told me in a quiet unpleasant tone. 

"Don't talk to her like that" Clay defended. My eyes widened at the way they murdered each other with their eyes. Clay's eyes were sharp, but Brant's were practically in slits, ready for the kill. I gulped in fear that they would start fighting again. It looked like they were seconds from throwing punches. Clay ignored him and focused on wrapping up my knee.

"Come on Char, let's get you home." Brant stood to his feet, reaching down to help me, only Clay had it covered as he took me into his arms. Saying that I didn't like being in a cute shirtless guy's arms would be a lie, it was a little awkward though. 

"You don't have to carry me, I'm perfectly fine" I explained to Clay. He didn't really respond, only winked at me as he carried me up the hill to the horses. I looked behind us to Brant who was glaring at Clay's back. His blue eyes then found me and I sheepishly smiled at him. 

I don't know what the feud is between the two, but it was definitely a doozy if they acted this hostile towards one another. Brant just stared at me until we reached the top of the hill and Clay sat me onto Spirit. "Be careful heading back beautiful" Clay smoothly said while handing me my set of reins. "Maybe I'll see you around Charlie." 

His charming smile made my cheeks warm. "My name is Charlotte" I corrected. 

He took my hand in his, bringing his lips to my knuckles as he continued to smile his heartthrob smile. Motown men really know how to treat a lady. He was so suave and alluring, it was overwhelming in a sweet way. "I know what your name is Charlotte, trust me I know what your name is, Charlie is only a nickname." 

He let go of my hand, turning his eyes onto his own horse who was standing by waiting for him. "I'll see you around Charlie. Maybe next time you won't catch me in a terrible situation that makes me look like a big jerk."

I wanted to tell him that he didn't seem like a big jerk, that he just didn't get along with Brant and it was understandable, but he walked away to his horse before I had a chance. He mounted his paint horse and had the horse trot over to Avery where she was still sitting on Trixie. He leaned over and kissed her cheek, telling her something that made my brows raise. 

"I'll tell my little brother Jax you said hi."

Avery blushed, nodding in response as her shoulders slumped in defeat. Avery was crushing on her brother's enemy's brother! Talk about a mess! Brant climbed onto Ranger, settling down in his seat and wiping his bloody lip with the back of his hand. He muttered some things about Clay under his breath as he guided his horse over to Avery and wiped the kiss Clay had planted on her cheek away. 

I watched as Clay rode away on his gelding, glancing over his shoulder as if he had felt my eyes on him. He smiled to himself, causing me to look away and focus on whose side I was on here. "Come on Char" Brant ordered, riding off ahead of Avery and I. 

I looked to Avery. She knew I heard what Clay said, we were hardly a yard away from each other. I could tell she liked this Jax boy, and Brant probably knew it, he just wasn't going to allow it. I would ask her later about this feud, but for now we lightly kicked our horses and steered them to follow Brant.

None of us spoke on the way home. Brant was angry, Avery was depressed, and I was confused and lost in my own mind. Was this a whole family feud or was it just a Brant and Clay thing? We made our way back to the barn, and I told Avery that I would take care of Trixie for her so she could go rest, my stinging knee would just have to wait a little while longer to be cleaned out. 

I tied up Spirit, casually glancing over the horse at Brant who was unbuckling his straps on the saddle Ranger was wearing. I started disrobing my horse as well, but my eyes were mostly fixated on Brant. He was deep in thought, and they had to be angry thoughts, his expressive actions clearly gave that away. Anyone who could practically rip a saddle off a horse and throw it three or four yards away was a little upset.

I flinched when the saddle crashed onto the flooring of the barn. Carefully I set the saddle on Spirit down onto the ground, when I went to face the horse again, Brant was on the other side of Spirit, his angry eyes looking at me. "Could you not stare at me Charlotte" he growled. 

"Sorry" I whispered. "I was just worried."

He turned his back to me and walked back to Ranger. "Don't be" he huffed. I kept my mouth shut and my eyes  to Spirit. I removed the saddle pad and left Spirit there to rest while I removed the saddled and pad from Trixie. 

I may have chanced a glance or two back at Brant, just to be sure, but I focused on replacing Trixie and Spirit's bridles for their halters they were wearing earlier. I used  the lead rope to guide Spirit outside first, then came back and retrieved Trixie. Brant was just standing there, stroking Ranger's coat, something I wanted to do since I arrived here hours ago. 

I didn't ask if I could, I just carried the lead ropes to the tack room and hauled the saddles one by one into the room, and by saddles, I mean I put away Brant's too. He was too lost in Ranger to remember to put his equipment away, so I did it for him. I shoved my hands in my front pockets and headed out the barn with my head hung low. It was just upsetting to see someone this angry, it effected everyone around you. Hopefully Avery was okay. 

I decided to go into the house using the back porch where Avery's boots were. I kicked off my own boots, slightly hissing when my knee started stinging even more. It was getting dark out already and I was definitely hungry. When I opened the door my hunger worsened at the smell of the delicious scent of food. Avery was at the dinning table picking at her food, she looked up when I entered. I smiled some, hoping she would cheer up. She didn't. I looked to my right where Jack and Stella were talking in the kitchen about Clay and Brant. Their voices stopped when I finished walking into the home. "Charlotte, honey are you okay? Avery said you had a bloody knee" Stella said worriedly. 

I waved it off and insured her I was perfectly fine. "I should clean the scrape though. Do you have anything for it?" Just like a mother, Stella urged me to the half bathroom where there was a first aid kit under the sink she used to doctor on me. I sat on the toilet seat lid and she unraveled the homemade bandage Clay had tied around my knee. 

She cleaned my wound with a wash cloth, used antiseptic spray that made my eyes fill with tears because it burned so much, and lastly she used a big bandage to cover the wound. "How's that Charlotte?"

"Better!" I wailed. I couldn't help it, my leg was on fire. Of course I wanted to be tough, but I couldn't after the first five seconds. She sadly smiled and wiped my face, but the tears kept flowing. 

"Char.." I looked up at the doorway, seeing Brant standing there with concerned, but hard eyes. "It's not killing you, quit being a baby." 

His mother hit him for being insensitive, but I saw a different meaning to it all. My tears ceased and I took the pain unlike I was able to moments ago. I remember him specifically telling me to not be a baby when we were younger. I tripped and fell when we were playing tag and of course I cried. That jerk told me to quit being a baby then too! 

"I'm not being a baby" I muttered. I held my head high, not looking at him as I ignored the stinging of my knee and his amused look. 

"Brant you look awful. Why do you insist on fighting with Clay?" Stella demanded to know. I peaked an eye open to see Brant heave a sigh.

He clearly didn't want to talk about it, but Stella wanted to know what was wrong this time around. I'm sure these things occurred more than they should. Brant seems to have turned extremely stubborn since we were three. "I'm going to my room" he announced, avoiding his mother's demands.

"But supper..."

"Not hungry mom" he said as he walked away. She stuck her tongue out at he's retreating back, causing me to snicker to myself. Stella gathered her medical supplies and put them away before urging me to dinner. I didn't fight her on it even though I kind of wanted to check on Brant and make sure he was okay. That fight earlier was a pretty brutal one. 

We walked to the dining room together and she made me a plate of food that consisted of grilled chicken, mac and cheese, and mash potatoes. Before I came here, I was on a strick diet, but right now I was so hungry I could care less. Somehow I got Avery to cheer up by my sudden eager hunger towards food. She had to wipe my face because I was too busy dumping food in my mouth to care. I knew then that I was going to fit in around here just fine. My first day wasn't what I had expected, but it wasn't completely terrible.

_________________________________________

AN:)

First chapter!!! It took longer than I thought to get it up, but here she is!! Picture on the side is of Brant.

New Characters have been casted as:

Jack- Tim McGraw

Stella- Jennifer Aniston

Brant- Beau Mirchoff

Avery- Ariel Winter

Clay- Austin Butler

It may take me longer to upload :/ I'm trying to make my chapters longer because I know how irritating it is when it's a short upload.