Chapter 26: Soaring to New Heights

Start from the beginning

"What were you two talking about?" Ayah asked yawning.

"We were just talking about how you'd be flying with me throughout my expedition." I replied.

"Wait, so I get to fly with you?" Ayah asked surprised.

"Yep, you'll get a first-class ticket with me." I replied smiling. "How does that sound to you?"

"Oh that sounds amazing!" Ayah said energetically. "I want to feel the wind on my face!"

"Then come on! We might be able to get into the air before that Slowpoke Calin can even find out what's going on!" I replied. I picked up Ayah and we started running down the hall, heading outside, but as I turned the corner, I saw Calin there staring directly at me. His sudden appearance caught me off guard and made me screech to a halt. His stare caused me to shiver a little bit.

"First of all Kathrin," Calin said. "It's not wise to talk about Pokémon behind their backs, especially when they can hear as well as me."

"S-sorry." I apologized. "I didn't mean to offend you."

"Second, nobody calls me a Slowpoke and gets away with it. I could easily out race you any day." I stared at Calin for a second.

"Is that I challenge I hear?" I questioned.

"Are you two going to race?" Ayah asked.

"No, we both have our duties, and we need to see that they are taken care of." Calin replied.

"Aww, but I wanted to see you two race." Ayah said disappointed.

"Yeah, I'm more than willing to show you just how fast I can go." I challenged.

"Maybe another time." Calin said turning around.

"Come on! You know you want to." Ayah said. "Race, race, race!" She kept on chanting the word, eventually I joined in as well, hoping to egg him on.

"Race! Race! Race!" He started to tremble a little bit as we continued to chant.

"The both of you are so immature!" Calin said facing us.

"What's wrong? Afraid you'll lose?" I taunted. Calin stared at me for a few seconds, then straightened his posture and smiled.

"You know what? Fine, I'll concede to your little game. Just to show you that I can fly circles around you." Calin replied.

"Yay! Race!" Ayah cheered.

"Name the place." I ordered.

"You're assigned to the north-east section, right? Why not there?" Calin suggested.

"Fine by me." I said smiling. We made our way out towards the north-east post of the wall. When the guards saw Calin coming, they stopped whatever they were doing and put themselves in position. When we landed, one of the guards greeted us.

"Calin, so nice to see you here." A Gligar said. "What brings you out here?" Calin observed the outpost and noticed that there was a pile of playing cards on the floor, poorly hidden from sight under a table.

"Playing games, are we?" Calin asked. The Gligar slouched down in defeat of being caught. The others, a Murkrow and a Blitzle, did the same. "At ease soldiers, I don't expect you all to be serious twenty-four/seven." The Gligar let out a sigh and straightened his posture. Twenty-four/seven? Was he talking about some kind of exchange that they do? Questions could be for later. "Kathrin and I have some business to attend to, I'm going to need two flags from your storage room." Calin said calmly.

"Right away." The Gligar said. "You heard him, we need two flags like it was yesterday!" Two red flags were retrieved from the storage room we had in the back. "If I may ask, why do you need two flags?"