~ Chapter 4 ~ Cutting Edge ~

"So do you think anyone will ask you to the snowflake ball?" Ruby asks me as I sit down in homeroom, surprisingly perfectly on time, for probably the first time.

"Umm the what?" I ask

"Girrll!! The snowflake ball! The end of term dance... in 3 weeks.." Ruby and Keira's eyes are wide, like they seriously don't understand why I have no idea what is going on.

"Do you actually live under a rock?" Keira asks

"No I live on an ice rink.." I reply somewhat jokingly, though it is what really does rule my life.

"Okay well let me catch you up" Ruby states before filling me in. Apparently since in three weeks it will be our mid-year break so we finish off the schooling term by having a dance, and generally freshman don't get to go unless they are asked by someone in one of the three years above.

"So surely you'll go with Flynn right?" Ruby questions straight after her explanation

"Oh umm... no he's probably got a million girls that want to go with him and our relationship isn't really like that..." I mumble towards the end.

"Oh right, well your super pretty anyways, so I a m sure you will get asked" Keira backs up

"So will you girls, you actually spend time at school events and talk with people, I doubt that I even get noticed" I tell them and before they can concur with me the bell goes and we head off to English class.

"Man this pizza is so good, I wish I got more!" Ruby said as she polished off her third slice of pizza from the cafeteria.

"I love pizza Tuesdays!" Keira replies, she is on her third slice as well. I just laugh as I finish off the one slice I have, I am not a strict dieter or anything but I do have to follow certain food guidelines.

"You have so much restrain" Ruby sighed as I started in on my salad I had brought from home.

"Trust me I want more, but I know that if I eat more ill literally throw it up on the ice this afternoon" I say somewhat jokingly though It is true and it has happened before when I was younger and didn't fully understand. I remember having some fast food takeout before practice, and it really didn't end well for me, Flynn, the ice or the cleaner.

"OMG, look who is walking toward us... it is Matty Fuller" Ruby poked me hard in the arm

"Rumour has it he wants to ask you to the snowflake ball" Keira followed up

"What me? No.." I had only talked to Matty a few times, he hangs out in Flynn's wider circle of friends, no directly close with Flynn but I had chatted with him a few times since starting high school.

"Hey Jasmine, How are you?" He walks up and drops down onto the floor beside me.

"Hi Matty, I'm pretty good, how are you?" I reply and my voice was a little shaky, which it never has been in my life.

"Yeah I'm great, hanging out for Christmas holidays! Haven't seen you hanging with us lately" Matty states at the end

"Me too! This year has flown by, yeah I like to change it up every so often, this is Ruby and Keira" I introduce to him

"Hey yeah your brothers are on the footy team, right? I've seen you around practice" He smiles politely at the girls

"yeah, well sometimes we have to if we want lifts home" Keira sighs

"Not that we don't mind watching" Ruby giggles, Matty laughs along with her.

"Uh, so Jasmine, Umm I was wondering if you had a date to the Snowflake ball? And if you don't thought maybe you would like to go with me?" Matty stumbles a little but on his words, holy hell he was actually asking me. Wow okay..

"Oh umm" I glance at the girls who are nodding wildly, not even trying to hise their enthusiasm over my invitation.

"Yeah, I'd love to go with you" I smile at Matty, I could see him visibly sigh in the relief of not being rejected.

"Cool!" He stands up, ill talk to you soon okay?" He smiles before starting to walk away.

"Oh! And uh Ruby and Keira, if you want to go I'm sure two of my boys would love to share the company of two very gorgeous girls" said mentioned girls were just nodding their heads and giggling. Matty laughed and walked away.

"OMG, we are all going to the dance! This means we must go shopping!!!" Both girls squeal with excitement. I just smile, I am happy but before I can even think any more about this dance, I have to keep my head focused on nationals tryouts... they are in two weeks so a week before the ball. Once they are over I can think about other things.

"Far out Monty is actually trying to kill us" Flynn sighed as we dropped down into his car after a particularly long and draining practice.

"Well tryouts are only two weeks away!" I remind him and he just rolls his eyes.

"So anyway, umm looking past that, the snowflake ball is coming up.." Flynn changes the topic suddenly

"yeah, so I found out today" Flynn just laughs at my being out of the loop, he is used to this, if it is not ice skating orientated I tend to not realise things that are happening.

"You think it will be something you would want to go to, you know if some uh were to like ask you?" Flynn was stumbling over his words, worse than Matty had earlier that day... surly he didn't want to ask me to the ball too? No. surely not, its Flynn...

"Yeah.. I am actually going.." I reply

"OH?"

"Matty Fuller... asked me today" I tell him

"Ah cool, good" Flynn seems a little taken aback...

"You weren't going to ask me?" I ask him

"Oh.. uh.. no.. like I was only going to say ill go with you.. cause like I didn't want you to miss out... I mean I have heaps of girls I could ask, just wanted to make sure... you know that you were yeah.." Wow he really does seem quite nervous over this whole situation...

"Yeah, its really good, and I mean like we are just friends, I wouldn't want to make it weird for you, I am sure you have someone special you want to ask" I tell him, trying to make this conversation more light hearted.

"Oh yeah, friends always.. ill uh, ill take Ashley, I know she wanted to go with me" Flynn smiles at me, but its not his usual smile, he seems somewhat sad. I smile back before getting out of the car and waving before going inside. When I look out through the curtains I see that Flynn has his head against his wheel, he then takes a big breath in and starts to drive away...