14 {Saddest Hymnal}

Start bij het begin

Klaus emerged form his study to find Elijah sitting in the same spot he had left him. He made a barb about how Elijah might turn into a statue with all his righteous potential just sitting there.

Elijah knew Klaus wanted him to bring Kol back, but it wasn't that simple. He explained that the best thing was for them to wait until he returned on his own accord. If he goes and finds him now, then they may lose him forever. 

"Are we going to be in this continuous cycle of chasing each other to the ends of the earth just to piss each other off in the end and never speak until we decide to chase each other all over again?"

"Niklaus, what we need to do now is apologize to our brother."

Klaus scoffed and Elijah's suggestion. But after he saw how serious his brother was. He sat on the sofa opposite him and laughed.

"You're mad, Elijah. I think for once in your life, your morality has finally plagued your judgment. We're family. Apologies and forgiveness are implied."

"Maybe for normal families. However, we are a unique case where we are stuck watching the rise and fall of empires together for all eternity. If we never learn to apologize for our wrongdoing then we might as well never learn to forgive each other. Some things need more than implication."

Klaus stared at Elijah and couldn't help but feel angry. Where was his apology in regards to Aurora? Why did he have to forgive Elijah for his error in judgment that destroyed his life? 

Ding. He looked over to his phone and saw he had a message from Cami. 

I won't wait up. See you tomorrow for coffee?

Then he knew. He had forgiven Elijah a long time ago. But he realized it took him far too long to do so. Whatever resentment he feels towards his eldest brother now is but a fraction to what he felt initially and he knew it took him centuries to come this far.

"What o' what do we have here? A friendly chat between my eldest brothers? Or perhaps nonchalant plotting instead?"

Kol looked between them with his mischievous grin and both immediately rose to their feet.

"Kol-"

"Save the speeches. I'm sure you are ready to tell me your reasons. I have heard them all before and I honestly could care less. Always and forever. Family first. I think I have had just about enough of that for today."

Kol was ready to run to his room when Klaus suddenly blocked his path.

"Kol, wait."

Kol loudly dropped his things to the floor and eyed his brother with curiosity.

Elijah slowly stood beside Klaus and Kol began to feel very small. Like he was a child again being scolded. He felt very exposed and foolish, but he remembered the image of Edie kneeling on the hotel floor and resolve returned along with a glare directed at the two monsters that tried to destroy her very existence.

Klaus began to speak but no words came. Elijah couldn't open his mouth. As if they both were unable to say anything.

Kol became a bit impatient and demanded to know what they were playing at before he claimed he had no time to stand and wait for them to think of what could possibly fix what they had done.

"Nothing will," Elijah expressed.

Kol froze at the base of the stairs. He slowly turned back to his brothers, set his bag back on the floor and stood before them with his arms crossed in front of his slightly puffed out chest.

"Nothing will excuse what we tried to do. We weren't thinking of you when we made the decision and that is inexcusable. We-"

"We're sorry," Klaus concluded. Kol's breath hitched as he looked into the eyes of the two men in his life that he always felt estranged from. The two men in his life he always wanted to feel a part of their bond.