Lost in the Dark

The night was filled with painful groans from fallen soldiers. Grey worked hard along with the medics, tending to anyone who was in need. A few members from Alpha Squad and the 819 also helped, cleaning and binding any injury. Broken bones were taken care of, and any emergency cases were worked with in the main medical bay. Med droids assisted the Trooper medics with the most serious cases. Apollo entered the room, passing by Nix, who was still taking care of the patients' food and beverages.

"Couldn't sleep?" Grey asked.

"Too much going on," he responded.

"Everyone's emotions are keeping you awake, I'm guessing."

"You call it a gift, but it can definitely be a curse," Apollo sighed, "but you're the one giving off the most negative energy out of them all."

"Can you blame me?" 

Grey was finishing bandaging a Trooper's head that had a deep gash from an explosion's debris. She patted his back and continued down the line of beds, making sure each of her men was being taken care of.

Apollo followed, "Any news?"

"Link said the com center is still having issues but they haven't picked up any signs of that Destroyer. They established communications with our flagships, which sent some Fighters to investigate. He thinks everything should be up and running again by morning if they keep working nonstop."

He watched as she kept herself occupied, "I'm sorry, Grey."

"I am too. I'm starting to weigh other options for us, but for right now, we need to take care of everyone that's hurt. Jumper is over helping in the barracks with those who have more minor wounds. I told everyone else just to get some rest. Tomorrow we'll be remembering those who we lost, so be prepared for a sad day."

"With all this heavy rain, its almost as if our planet itself is mourning."

Grey rolled her eyes, "You might turn out to be a big time Jedi after all, with that type of thinking."

"I guess we'll see what the future holds," he smiled, "I'll go see if I can help out, too. I won't be sleeping either, tonight. And Grey, don't stress to hide your emotions so much. A strong leader has strong feelings, that's what makes them so powerful."

By the next morning, Grey was exhausted. She exited the medbay finally, looking out into the misty, raining morning. She called all of her men that were able to move to the barracks, where she had made a covered area to hold a bonfire, using holograms to bring her presentation to the severely wounded and civilians. One by one each of the Troopers present placed wood, which had been set aside in dry areas, into the pit. More and more, it hit Grey how many men she had lost. They were her brothers and sisters, willing to help her in a battle that she didn't see as theirs. Once they were finished, Grey lit a torch. She moved it over to a stick of wood that Jumper was holding, catching his on fire, and the two carefully spread the flames to the pile. Soon, the fire burned bright under the tall cover that was made to keep the rain away from the red flickers. After a while of silence, Grey turned her attention from the flames to all of the gathered Troops. She held her helmet to her side tightly, holding back tears.

Finally she managed to pronounce strongly, "None of you are just numbers. You never have been, and never will be. You're all so much more."

With that, she placed her helmet back on her head and sat in front of the fire, while some wounded men dispersed to continue getting treatment, others still lingering for a while. Grey and Jumper sat with no words by the flickers for hours, until the orange and black striped Trooper got a transmission from the communication center.