Chapter 18

7 April 1966

PAUL'S POV

Today was a long day in the studio. We were recording tracks for our new album Revolver.

"Let's take ten, boys. Oh, and Paul, will you come up here?" George Martin said over the intercom.

"Ooo Macca's in trouble." John said as he snickered lightly.

Rolling my eyes at John, I then made my way upstairs and into to the booth. "Ye wanted to talk to me?"

George Martin looked at me and pointed to the chair in the corner. "Sit down."

I sat down as he shut the door and turned to me.

"I've been trying to find the right time to talk to you."

I looked at him confused. "Talk to me..?"

"About my niece."

My face went pale a bit as I shook my head. "GM, please.."

"Just listen, Paul. Adaline's my favourite niece and I care about her as if she was my own. I heard about what happened between you two. As much as I want to go on to you about how angry I am, I have to put my work before that. All I will say to you is that you better not hurt her or that little girl again. Do you understand?"

"I understand.."

"Good. Now get back down there."

I stood up and was almost out the door before he spoke up again.

"Oh, and Paul?"

I turned back to him. "Yes?"

"If you do hurt them again just know that there will be a problem."

I shook my head and went back down with the lads. Can people not bring that up? It's in the past.

ADALINE'S POV

After a long morning, I decided to walk around town and push Madelynn in her carriage. Everywhere I turned I saw people staring at me and whispering.

"Let's go visit some old friends, baby girl."
I pushed her carriage until we ended up at the diner.

"Addie!" Nora yelled as she can running out from behind the counter to hug me. "How have you been? You brought the baby! Can I hold her?"

"Of course, Nor." I smiled as she picked up Madelynn. I then turned and looked at my old boss. "Well hello Jack, how's life been?"

"Not too bad, living best I can." He said with a shrug. "I'm glad you and the little one are doing well."

I smiled lightly and nodded. "Thank you."

"You remember my son, don't you? Isaac!"

I looked up to see him standing there across the diner, making his way towards us. It had been years since I saw him. We had a history. When I was about 16 I started working at the diner. That's when I met Isaac. He and I had a fling for a while, but that ended when he told me he had gotten a girlfriend and that they were moving to Paris.

"Isaac..hi."

"Hi Adaline, it's been a while."

I nodded lightly "It has. How's Paris? And how are you and Amelia?"

He shook his head and laughed a bit. "She and I ended things a while ago, but Paris was wonderful. I just got back a few weeks ago actually, for good this time." He smiled and shifted in place awkwardly for a moment. "I see you're a mum now."

I smiled and turned to hear Madelynn getting fussy.

"I think someone's missing her mum.." Nora said as she handed her over to me.

I picked her up and rocked her back and forth. "It's okay, darling, mummy's here." I continued to rock her as I turned to Isaac. "Well, this is my little Madelynn."

"She's a beautiful little girl. How old is she?" Isaac said as he looked between us.

"She's almost 6 months. You're getting big, aren't you baby girl?" I smiled at her and kisses her cheek as she cooed lightly.

Isaac smiled a bit as we sat down in a booth. "So how long have you and your husband been together?"

I down at Madelynn. She looked so much like her father.. Snap out of this, Adaline.

"Adaline..are you okay? Did I say something?"

"No no, you're fine. I'm sorry. I'm actually not married. The whole situation is a bit complicated."

He nodded lightly as we both sat in an awkward silence for a few moment.

"Well I should be on my way, it's almost time to put her down for her nap." I stood up and placed Madelynn back in the baby carriage. "It was nice to see you again Isaac."

He scrambled to stand up as he hugged me lightly. "It was great seeing you as well. Could I maybe walk you home?"

I blushed and nodded. "That'd be nice, thank you."

With that Isaac said goodbye to his father as I did to Nora.

"I'm sorry if I was rude earlier when talking about Madelynn's father. I didn't mean to come across as such, the situation is crazy.."

"It's alright, I understand. I feel bad for asking." He said, scratching the back of his neck.

"You didn't know." I looked around to see more people staring at us and I looked down. "But everyone else does.."

Isaac looked around and then at me. "What do you mean? Did something happen?"

"It's a bit of a long story."

"I have the time."

I then proceeded to tell him all about how Paul and I had met, how I discovered I was pregnant and how Paul wanted to help, how Madelynn was born early, how we were happy for a while and then how it became too much and he left me for Jane. We made it to my new flat just as I finished.

"And that's the whole story."

He stood there for a moment, just looking at me and then down at Madelynn. "So let me get this straight here, that's Paul McCartney's child?"

I nodded lightly. "Everywhere I go I hear people whispering and others stare. I should have expected it, considering he's who he is, but it's a bit hard to deal with."

"I can understand why.. So now you're raising her on her own? Does he come to see her at all?"

"He hasn't seen her since the beginning of February.." I looked down at the carriage to see her fast asleep. I turned to Isaac as I pulled out my keys. "Why don't you come in for a cuppa? I should lay her down. I apologise in advance, my flat is kind of small and I still have boxes around from unpacking."

"No need to apologise Addie, I don't mind." He gave me a small smile and then we made our way inside.