Chapter 15

25 December 1965

ADALINE'S POV

Today we're having Charlie, Lily, Alex, Paul's Dad, his wife and her daughter, and Mike over for Christmas dinner. I wasn't particularly keen on having all these people over. I don't think Madelynn is ready to have all these people over. She's only been home about a month and being around everyone could be too much for her.

I was in the kitchen checking on how dinner was cooking when Paul came up behind me, wrapping his arms around my waist.

"Mmm it smells wonderful in here."

I gave a small nod as I tried to continue. "Dinner should be ready by 4."

"Addie.." He turned me to face him. "What's botherin' you?"

"Maybe havin' everyone over is a bad idea.."

"Why? Love, it's Christmas. Don't you want to be with our friends and family?"

"I do..It's just there's so many of them and the baby hasn't been home for that long! Having too many people around her could be too much."

He took my hand and sat me down on the couch. "Love, listen.. It'll be fine. Not everyone will hold her. If you want we'll just hold onto her for the day. I know you're nervous, but we want to celebrate her first Christmas with our family and friends."

"I guess you're right.."

Paul smiled as we heard a loud cry from Madelynn. "Baby's up. I'll go get her." He then kissed me before going upstairs. Not long after there was a knock at the door. I went over and opened it as Charlie, Lily and Alex walked in.

"Happy Christmas!"

"Happy Christmas. Here let me take your coats."

Alex gave me his and hugged me tightly. "How are ye doin'? Where's my beautiful little niece?"

"She just woke up from her nap, Paul went up to get her."

"So she's doing alright?" Lily asked as she and Charlie made their went into the living room.

"She is, yes. I'm just not too thrilled about having so many people around her.." I sat across from them. "So I'm guessing you just came from Mum and Dad's? How are they?"

They both looked at each other uncomfortably and nodded. "We did.. I'm sorry Addie, I thought they would have broke and invited you over."

"It's fine.. I don't really mind. It's probably best we didn't go out anyway."

Paul then came downstairs with Madelynn. "Well hello, happy Christmas!"

"Happy Christmas!" Charlie exclaimed as Paul handed the baby over to him. "Hello my beautiful little niece."

Paul and I both smiled at him as there was another knock on the door. Paul went over and let in the rest of our guests.

"Dad, Angie, Ruthie, Mike! I'm glad you all made it."

The three of them walked into the living room and turned to Charlie and Madelynn.

"There's my darling granddaughter." Jim said with a smile. "She's getting big. Has she been doing well since she came home?"

Paul nodded. "She has. Been keeping us busy too."

I smiled and heard the kitchen timer ding. "Oh, well looks like dinner is done. We can eat in about five."

A few minutes later we all sat down for dinner and then relaxed and had dessert.

Madelynn was currently in the arms of Angie. My little girl started to cry as I just sat and watched her. Earlier Paul told me to just let them calm her down, but I couldn't help but feel uneasy.

Paul noticed and leaned over, whispering in my ear. "Just let Angie take care of her. There's no harm."

I looked down a bit and laid back. I sat there watching them. Minutes passed and Madelynn continued to cry as Angie tried to calm her down. I knew having this many people around her was a bad idea. I got up and went to the kitchen as Paul followed behind me.

"What are you doing?"

"Anything, I don't know. I can't continue to watch the baby cry." I started washing dishes. "I told you that we were having too many people over."

He shook his head and leaned against the counter. "Love the baby is fine. She's just getting fussy."

"And so I should either be feeding her or I should hold her to calm her down. I'm not saying this is a bad way, but Angie's been trying to calm her down for over 5 minutes now, she needs her mum."

Mike walked in and looked at the two of us. "Oh, I'm sorry I didn't mean to walk in on your conversation. I just wanted more to drink."

I shook my head as I got him another cup of tea. "You're alright Mike, Paul and I were done."

"Actually maybe you can help us decide something." Paul said as he look between us. "Addie thinks that since the baby keeps crying she should take her upstairs away from everyone, but I think it's good for Madelynn to be around people."

I shook my head and rolled my eyes. "Well Mike, I don't think your brother understands is that she's still very little and has only been home for about a month. She should only be around a few people to start off with, not a houseful."

"I understand that she's still little, but she's been cooped up at the hospital for so long she deserves to be around her family."

"But I think you're forgetting that she needs more adjustment time because she was premature and all we need is for something to happen and she has to go back to the hospital."

Paul and I just kept glaring at each other that we didn't notice Mike had brought over Madelynn. "Uhh I don't think Mummy and Daddy want to fight in front of their little girl, do they?"

Paul took Madelynn from him as I went over and kissed her forehead. "Now Daddy can tell you goodnight as well as take you in to tell the others goodnight."

He shook his head. "She still has some time before bed."

"Paul please, it's just about her bedtime."

"I agree, it is kind of late and she's looking pretty tired." Mike said.

Paul shot a glare at him, I smiled and walked away.

"Gee thanks Mike.." Paul said as he followed me.

Everyone had said their goodbyes to the baby as the two of us took her upstairs for bed.

"I still think it's early." Paul said looking over at us.

"She's had a long day and it's bedtime anyway. She's fine." I laid Madelynn in her crib and kissed her goodnight. Paul got up and did the same as we made our way back downstairs.

"Listen." He said as he stopped me. "I know you're nervous because of what we've been through, but you don't want to be too overprotective."

I shot him this irritated look. "I'm doing what I have to to make sure that she's going to be okay."

"Which means being waayy too overprotective. Addie just breath love."

"We have guests downstairs, we can have this conversation later." I said as I brushed past him and went downstairs.

"Fine love, fine.."