Cripple: Chapter Five(pic of Stefanie)

Start from the beginning

Stef agreed and Jesse handed her his Chevy emblem key ring then bent down to Elizabeth, "See ya in fifteen minutes", he kissed her cheek which was cold under his lips. He pulled back and rubbed her arms, Jeeze Bethie girl, you're a block of ice. Go to the truck and crank up the heater. My varsity jacket  is in the back seat, put it on and get warm before you get sick."

***

"I'm telling ya Elizabeth, Jesse has a crush on you. I've never seen him like this.", Stef said as she and Elizabeth sit in Jesse's truck with the heater blasting. They each were bundled in the boys' jackets as they waited for them.

Elizabeth laughed. "Stef, you're crazy. He's quarterback of the flipping football team and I'm just the disabled new girl. He's just being nice because I'm his neighbor."

Stefanie wasn't buying it. So what if you're disabled or his neighbor for that matter? You're cute and funny and nice. Hell, I almost forgot you were in a wheelchair. You and Jesse are just perfect together. Besides, you both like that god awful 80's junk.", she wrinkled her nose showing her dislike and Elizabeth laughed.

The truck door opened on the drivers side where Stefanie was sitting. "You ready to go babe?", Ryan asked Stef. Elizabeth saw Jesse walk up just then. He's hair was wet from the shower and he was wearing blue sweats and a blue Warrior's football T-shirt.

"Yeah, just a sec, baby.", Stef said. She and Elizabeth exchanged numbers.

"Thanks for letting me ride to the game with you guys." Elizabeth said as she put her cell back in her pocket.

"No need to thank us. See ya at school". After they'd said goodbye, Elizabeth watched Ryan lift Stef into his truck and smiled.

"I told you you'd like Stef." ,Ryan said as he climbed in the drivers seat of his red Chevy. It was old but not too old Elizabeth guessed maybe a 2003 model.

"Stef and Ryan are great. Thanks for inviting me Jesse".

"You're welcome Bethie. I'm sorry about Ashlee though.", he's voice full of sincerity.

Elizabeth put her hand on his and said, "Jesse don't apologize. It wasn't your fault."

Jesse entangled his fingers with Elizabeth's as he drove. There's that tingling again, he thought to himself smiling. He looked over at her. She was staring out the window. He noticed then that she was wearing his jacket. His smile grew wider. He liked her wearing his things.

" Do you wanna ride to school with me tomorrow?", he asked.

"I can't. I block out after 3rd block and I have PT from 1:00 to 3:00 and then I have work at the library from 3:30 to 7:00.

"I block out after 3rd too. One of the perks of being on the football team.", he laughed. " I have practice at four and was going to invite you to watch since Stef will be there too but how about I take you to PT and then I'll drop you off at the library and take Skyler with me to practice and we'll come pick you up after work.? You and Sky can hangout and have dinner at my house and little man can meet Ava and Bella. "

"Jesse, that's too much on you.", Elizabeth said.

"No it's not Bethie girl. I don't mind at all. I like hanging out with you and Sky. Besides, I wanna see what you do in your PT sessions so I can help if you ever get a leg cramp or something.", he smiled slyly as he turned into her driveway.

"Okay then.", she agreed.

Jesse got out to unload her chair and before she could do it herself, Jesse picked her up and sit her in her chair and pushed her to the top of the ramp right outside her door. He came around and bent down and hugged her. "See you tomorrow Bethie girl".

Elizabeth started to take off his jacket but he stopped her. "It's okay keep it. It's supposed to be chilly tomorrow. You can keep the jersey too for the next game."

Elizabeth nodded. The door opened and her father came out.

"Hi Dad", Elizabeth said awkwardly, this is my friend and our neighbor, Jesse Bennett."

Her dad looked at Jesse with eyes of steel, then he looked at his watch, then looked over at Elizabeth who was sitting in her chair next to Jesse. Her father said in a scolding voice, "where have you been Elizabeth Grace Morgan, do u realize the time it is"?!! Before she had a chance to reply to his question and explain, he yelled at her,"get yourself in the house and get to bed, I want to talk to your new guy friend."

Mr. Morgan looks at Jesse and says, " I dont care for you taking my daughter places, but I prefer to meet the guy thats taking her out proior to you taking her. The only reason I am not as mad as I am. is because I know your dad. If it wasn't for that factor you would be hearing more than this from me."

Before Jesse could say anything Mr. Morgan turned and walked quickly in the house.

Jesse was stunned that she had such a strict dad, but knowing her condition, he understood what Mr. Morgan was fearful of. Jesse slowly turned and off the Morgan's property back to his own house.

Once her dad got inside Elizabeth rolled into the kitchen where he was having a glass of milk before turning in for the night. Elizabeth asked him in a soft voice, " dad are you mad at me?" Her dad replied, "no Elizabeth I am not mad your mother told me when I got home you were out with a guy and it bothered me that you didn't get my permission first or give me a chance to meet him and set down the rules to him." 

She apologized to her dad and asked if she could still go out with him tomorrow as they had talked about earlier that night. Her dad replied, " I don't mind just as long as he don't get no ideals with you or any of that stuff and as long as you are home at a reasonable time and keep in touch every now and then so me and your mom know you are okay."

Elizabeth was happy her dad gave aproval for her to go with Jesse the following day. She rolled herself quickly down the hall to the huge walk in shower, and sit down and took a quick shower using her shower chair. She got dressed in her pajamas with the help of her dress slang, and took her muscle relaxer. She had just got herself in bed when she got a text from Jesse.

I hope I didnt get you in trouble with your father tonight.Good night Bethie girl. I had a great day wih you. tSee you in the morning. Sweet dreams.

She text back.  You didn.t get me in trouble and all is taken care of now. I had a great time too and goodnight. Then fell asleep.