Bonding

Harry was sat in the kitchen thinking and re-thinking what Sirius has told him, one question on his mind was if everybody knew there was a supposedly mass murderer on the loose hunting him down, why had nobody sent a letter to warn him.

Sirius had spent hours searching all the rooms in the house for clothes and spent another hour cleaning himself up from years of sitting in a tiny cell. He even managed to trim his overgrown beard.

Joining Harry in the kitchen, he realised there was no food here.

"I'm going to have to go out otherwise we'll starve." Sirius said.

"Why don't I?" Harry offered.

"By now Dumbledore and ministry will know of your disappearance and I'm positive there's dozens of eyes out looking for you." Sirius smiled as he looked at Harry. "As of now there is only four people left alive who know of my animagus form, I'm going to find some food, I'll pay them back when I get money."

"Sirius, take this." Harry reached into his pocket and handed him 10 galleons. Sirius almost protested but the look in Harry's eyes told him he wasn't taking no for an answer. "Just don't get caught... oh and here's your wand back."

"You remind me so much of James..." Sirius scanned Harry's face then left the house. Harry stood in the kitchen, silence surrounded him.

I should make myself useful and clean up a bit.  That's less work for Sirius then.

With that he found a brush and duster and started on the kitchen. By the time Harry had finished the kitchen and was about to start in the front living room, Sirius rushed through the front door, quickly shutting it behind him. He carried 3 full bags of food you would find in a muggle corner shop, mostly packs of pasta, tinned food and frozen boxed quick meals.

"Harry did you clean all this?" Sirius dropped the bags which looked heavy.

"Yeah... made myself useful."

"You could've used magic if you wanted, the ministry won't be able to trace it here." Sirius smirked at he brush in Harry's hand.

"Oh, right." Harry let the brush fall to the ground then enchanted it to sweep on its own. Sirius chuckled.

They ate in the now mostly clean kitchen and Harry listened to stories Sirius told him of how he met James and he various times he had been given a place to stay at the Potter's home. Harry was beginning to feel a bond growing with this man he'd only known for under 24 hours.

A few weeks had past and Sirius had been on about 3 trips since meeting Harry to various locations away from 12 Grimmauld place in hopes of throwing the ministry and Dumbledore's track of him in the opposite direction.

It was now only a few days until harry was to leave for the start of the year and he had only been able to send two letters out, one to Ron the other to Hermione reassuring them of his safety and that was all. Harry had instructed Hedwig to remain at the Weasleys and not return.

"I'm sorry Harry... I know you wish to speak with your friends. But it would be easy for Dumbledore to follow Hedwig back and although we have the fidelius charm I can't risk losing you." Sirius' apology was sincere.

"I understand, they know I'm safe and Hedwig knows you're innocent." Harry joined Sirius on the couch and he received a side shoulder hug from the man.

"There will be too much commotion on the train if you take it, you have been missing for almost a month Harry."

"I'll floo to Hogsmead and walk it. I'll make sure to arrive on time and safely." Harry reassured the man that he hadn't caused him a problem.

"Are you sure?" Sirius replied.

"Positive." Harry smiled and then realised something. "You're right, Dumbledores going to want to know where I've been..." Harry's face turned to worry.

"You'll tell him you was with me! Why not, I haven't harmed you!" Sirius was now reassuring Harry.

"That's true."