Chapter 9 - War

The days have been dark, clouds scatter the sky, not leaving a spec of sunlight. Shadow still has very weird bruises, they don't seem to fade and yet they aren't getting worse. King Ash and Queen Crimson have been preparing for battle, as well as my parents. I wake up early every morning so I can get to train with Blaze, Silver and Shadow. Today is the last day, the day before war between the last two standing kingdoms. 

"Try hold it in your hand." Father says. Sweat goes down the side of the cheek, I make a small fire-ball in my hand, I wince at the small burn. Father sighs as I stop.

"I can't, it burns my hands..." I say. Shadow takes hold of both my hands.

"Try again." He says. I do as he says, Shadow's hands slowly pull mine apart, and to my surprise, the fire-ball sustained itself. "If it burns, your hands are too close together." Shadow says. Shadow pulls out his green emerald.

"I thought it was in the castle?" I ask.

"I went back, when you were asleep, of course. I didn't want to cause you trouble. I grabbed the seven chaos emeralds from the ashes of my castle..." Shadow says weakly. Every soldier, from the Kingdom of the Dark and my soldiers, they are uneasy, they are scared. Some soldiers are older than my Father. I offer a soldier some water, he doesn't respond at all. Father immediately takes my hand and pulls me away.

"He is an old soldier, he fought with me." Father whispers. I could barely hear the old soldier's mumbling.

"It's happening again, I thought we'd finally have peace..." The soldier mumbles. I stare at the floor, the feeling of fear rushed through me as if it were my blood. Silver places his hand on my shoulder. I look up at him, he has a serious expression on his face, it surprised me because I usually see Silver smiling. He walks to the scared soldier.

"I'm sure peace will come soon, this will be the last war for all of us, don't loose hope!" Silver says with an unexpected smile.

Silver took a liking to the Kingdom of the Dark people, they listen to Silver and he finds them very entertaining. Silver has also taken a liking to Shadow, ever since Shadow versed Silver in a duo.

"Chaos Spear!" Shadow shouts. A bright flash of light appeared in front of Shadow, hitting Silver in the chest, leaving a slight burn mark. Silver stares at Shadow, his eyes sparkling and his mouth wide open, ready to scream.

"That. Was. Amazing!" Silver exclaims. Blaze sighs, covering her face with the palm of her hand. "What? It was!"

"You aren't like any soldier here. What are you so cheery about?" Shadow asks. Silver's smile suddenly faded, leaving a depressing frown. "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to-"

"No, it's fine. I've been asked many times. I want to be a soldier because my parents were, they fought along side the King..." Silver says with a deep sigh. He shakes his head and forces a big smile. "It meant a lot to fight along side the King, I want to be just like them."

"Which is very noble." Blaze cuts in, placing her hand on his shoulder with a loving smile. "He needs not to explain to you."

"You dare talk to the Prince like that!" A soldier yells, stomping over to Blaze. Shadow places his hand between the angry soldier and Blaze. "Sorry, Sire." The soldier says. Blaze scrunches her fist, ready to punch his soldier in the face. The soldier sees Blaze doing this. "You better not touch anyone important to me." The soldier threatens.

"I'm glad you didn't mention yourself then." Blaze says, glaring at the overprotective racoon.

"Hold off, Marine." Shadow orders. Marine steps away, still glaring at Blaze. "I apologies, Marine is very protective over the royal family." Shadow explains.