𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟖: 𝐅𝐥𝐲𝐢𝐧𝐠

Song: Chandelier by Sia

"Acratophoron. A term used by the Greeks and Romans to denote the vessel in which unmixed wine was put on the table."

"Interesting

"Interesting."

Principal Benoit rose from the chair to her full height and began to sort out a few things on her desk, not looking at me.

"And what made you..."

The door opened cutting her off and we turned to face the secretary pushing her glasses up her nose with more force than necessary.

"I'm so sorry ma'am, but she barged her way through without notice and I tried to stop her..."

"It's quite alright," Principal Benoit said, cutting her off with a raise of her hand and sweeping her gaze to me, a small smile on her face. "I'll take it from here."

The lady still offended it seemed- huffed and cleared her throat, "Well then, Coach Patterson wishes you to be at the gymnasium for the final write-offs," she said. leaving once more.

"Right," she said, just as the door closed, fixing her eyes on me once more. "What made you change your mind?"

There was a note of concern in her words that made me pause.

"I don't know," I blurted out and her brow went up to her hairline puzzled. "I mean, it's not for the scholarship anymore. It's reasons unknown to even myself," I confessed truthfully.

Her eyes remained levelled on mine and with a hum, the tips of her mouth squirmed up.

"Maybe it's redemption?" She asked cautiously. "It happens."

Is that what you're doing?

I resisted the urge to ask her that and instead shrugged. "Not likely."

Someone like me could never be redeemed.

I've lost too much to believe in anything anymore.

Questions burned in her eyes, causing me to force down all my emotions, face blank.

"I'm doing it to help," I said. "Don't want Coach Patterson to be forced into another job. Teenagers are hell to deal with," I deflected easily.

She was silent, taking all the information in and chalking up my lies.

"Well, we better get over there," she spoke finally and went over to her coat rack plucking off a pea coat sliding her arms into the sleeves with ease.

"Shall we?"

I nodded and once again forced down the ball of nervousness that began to form in my throat.

And I don't get nervous.

"Yes."

🦋🦋🦋