Awkward Situation (9)

Leni stayed on a bed space for shelter after she got kicked out off her apartment. Luckily, at the end of the year she aced a job and was hired as a room service attendant on a five star hotel.

She promised herself to not lose the job again.

The guests seemed to like her especially her enthusiastic aura and smiling face.

LENI'S POV

I knocked into the door of room 1801 and stood still waiting for the guest to open. I remembered that the room I shared with my boss before had the same number.

"Good morning po. Breakfast po." I served the food on the table of the couple who checked in.

It was actually the girl's birthday. I joined the couple in singing happy birthday, greeted the lady before I bid my goodbye.

The guy kissed the girl after we sang, they looked so happy together like they didn't need anyone else for happiness. I smiled as I watched them.

She was beautiful, he was handsome. They were like a perfect match. It was inevitable for me to feel down as I step out the room.

Maybe I'll never have my own happiness. Maybe it's not just for everyone.

I pushed my tray and grasped the silence of the hallway.

I wonder when will the year come when someone will actually greet me a happy birthday. The last time I had a greeting was when I was sixteen, I was still at the orphanage. The nuns would greet me during my birthday but after that, nobody knew anymore.

Nobody cared anymore.

Today is actually my birthday. I wish someone knew. I wiped the tear that fell on my left cheek before I knocked into the next door I was assigned to. 

My salary now is better than my salary at the fast food chain or cafes I worked on before. I finally had some bucks to treat myself on my birthday because who else will?

I went to a spa and had my nails done, waxed my legs and upon looking at the services, I knew I had to try something new.

"Mam, may promo po kami ng whole leg wax with Brazilian." The lady offered.

What does Brazilian wax even mean? I didn't know for a certain but I'm sure availing the promo for P1,200 is better than availing the regular whole leg wax for the same price.

After the procedure, I swear to God that there is nothing more weird and painful than a Brazilian wax.

I don't even know why I availed it but the good thing is, after that one painful, torturing day under my pants, I felt like a neat fresh baby down there.

I felt like a narcissist to even care about what beneath my clothes look. 

RODRIGO'S POV

I always knew April 23 was her birthday. I greet her every year — in my mind. Of course I have the copy of her biodata folded into four on my wallet.

When I hired her, I kept it here already. I don't know why I did but I just feel like keeping it.

My grandmother is now nagging me about grandchildren but up until today, I'm already past thirties, I still don't have a girlfriend.

I had a few before but ever since I took over dad as the vice president of my late grandfather's firm, I felt like having a woman in my life was my least priority.

However, it sank to me that maybe I didn't look for women or seek for women's attention so much because I already have Leni with me before. She gave me the attention I needed from a woman, she fed me with the views I wanted to see with women without pressuring me or choking me with the commitments of a relationship.

As I think about it, Leni was like my girlfriend for the past six years that she worked for me. We were inseparable, she has been there through my darkest and brightest times, cheered for me, worked for me. The only thing that went wrong is I never treated her the way a man should treat his woman.

I sighed in remorse. I still miss her.

I would buy her a cake if I knew where she was right now. It's her birthday. What is not to celebrate? A precious lady like her was born today.

I laughed at myself as I reminisced my times with her and the time I stole a kiss from her when she was asleep beside me.

I'd live to do it again. I would love to kiss that sweet lips again if I could.

Someone rang my room's doorbell. I rolled my eyes how room service attendants have to knock when I am having some epiphany alone.

"Room service po."

I opened the door and didn't bother to look but I saw her pause from the corner of my eye. I was triggered to check on her.

I was speechless, staggered and frozen to see Leni again.

She smiled brightly at me, "sir Rodrigo!" She exclaimed. "Nandito po pala kayo? Ang liit talaga ng mundo." She sounded so amused.

I ran out of words to say. Heavens heard me when I asked for her. She's really standing in front of me being that same old Leni that I knew.

"Sa dinami dami ng pwedeng macheck in-an na hotel dito pa talaga kayo dinala ng tadhana." She spoke smiling.

This cannot not be destiny's work.