Awkward Situation (4)

LENI'S POV

I quickly took the documents he needed from my backpack and handed it to him.

He browsed the contents for a second and looked at me.

He saw my arm's abrasions, "Anong nangyari sayo?" He asked.

I didn't want to appear like I was blaming him for the unfortunate accident I had. "Ah, nahagip lang po ng motor kanina nung papunta ako pero okay lang naman po." I chuckled as I answered. "Gasgas lang naman po to." He didn't seem to be quite convinced.

RODRIGO'S POV

My blood pressure raced as I heard what happened to her, I was concerned but I didn't want her to see through me. I wanted to clean her scratches, her stained white shirt telling me how she fell down the ground during that accident.

She said she was fine but it wasn't fine for me.

A stupid motorist almost ran over her. What if something worse happened to her?

"Okay na to." I told her speaking about the documents she handed me.

I placed it together with my other files, I saw her standing still from the corner of my eye seeming to wait for something.

I exhaled soundly making sure she would hear it. I handed her a few bills as the reimbursement to the money she spent for transportation. "Salamat po." Her eyes told me it wasn't the one she needed but she was grateful.

"May kailangan pa po ba kayo sir?" She asked, I looked at her with an empty gaze. "Wala na."

It was mean for me to make her travel longer than her stay. "Okay po. Sige, sir." She bid and headed towards the door to exit.

"Saan ka pupunta?" She stopped and looked at me, puzzled. "Uuwi na po." She replied.

"Said who? You'll stay here hanggang bukas." I stipulated, she was disarrayed. I didn't tell her that she'll stay. "Sir, wala po akong damit." She looked so troubled but I didn't care, I just want her to stay.

I handed her one of my shirts and asked her to change. "Hugasan mo yang kamay mo tapos ito," I handed her some cotton and some betadine.

She looked staggered but knowing her, she' the type of person who doesn't know how to complain. "Thank you po." She headed to the comfort room and followed my instructions.

After a couple of minutes, she stepped out with my shirt on. It appeared like a dress to her. She saw me blankly looking at her legs.

"Nilabhan ko po yung pantalon ko, marumi na po kase." She explained, I didn't reply.

She quietly headed to the couch and folded her dirty clothes, conditioned herself to it before she laid down and used her backpack as her pillow.

It was the least thing I wanted to see, Leni struggling to find comfort. "Bat ka nanjan? Dito ka sa kama matulog." I told her but she immediately refused. "Ah ayos lang ako dito, sir—"

"Tignan mo nga ang liit ng sofa na yan." I hated to see her curled up to make herself fit in.

"Okay lang po. Sofa lang din po tinutulugan ko sa apartment, sanay na po ako." She chuckled while sharing but it vexed me, she deserves so much more.

"Dito ka." I uttered with a stern voice. I saw the intimidation in her face, she has been always scared whenever I do that.

She stood beside the bed, "Sigurado po kayo, sir? Baka po hindi kayo komportable sa sofa?" She asked, she actually thought I'll be giving the whole bed to her, she was such a cute and sweet dork.

"Leni," I uttered finding her assumption silly. "Hindi tinutulugan ang sofa." I continued, her face was filled with confusion.

It took her a while to realize what I was proposing. "Tabi po tayo?" She asked, "obvious ba?" I replied.

She was speechless for a moment, she humbly hopped to the cushion and enjoyed the comfort it gave.

Her happiness has always been shallow. I saw the fascination in her eyes. It was one of the few things I like about this girl.

"Ang lambot ng kama nila." She laid comfortably and hugged a pillow.

My lips wanted to smile but I turned my back to her and smiled behind so she won't see.

LENI'S POV

I gulped, moistening my throat as he turned back from me. He was so cold, I felt like he hated me being around. He probably asked me to stay so he can have some kind of a slave or maid with him until tomorrow — it's what I've always been.

People said he was harsh on me for giving me so much tasks to do but at least it gave me value, I had a value to someone.

A feeling I rarely feel since I was a child. Since my biological parents left me at the roadside to succumb in death. Since I grew up on an orphanage because nobody wanted to adopt me because I had a bad asthma as a kid.

"Good night po sir." I thought it was a common courtesy to bid someone good night but he didn't respond and kept his back facing me like he didn't hear me.

I moved slightly towards the edge of the bed so he would have ample space to move and to avoid disturbing him as he sleeps.

"Patayin mo yung ilaw." He opened the night lamp beside him to have some illumination amidst the dark room.

I didn't know what to feel but I rarely get such comfort. I realized it has been a while since I slept on an actual bed and I should be grateful instead of complaining about the other bad things that happened to me that day.

I closed my eyes not knowing I already fell asleep.