Chapter 8

Taron paced anxiously as the ice fortress remained silent. Kas had been gone nearly an hour now and still absolutely nothing; it was pissing off the Fire prince.

"Is the whole immortal world intent on keeping us separate from Kasdeya?" He growled and kicked a chunk of ice.

Kai frowned at his outburst, "The water is an exceptionally powerful artifact and if it didn't want us to enter, we weren't going to. It chose Kas, now we have to have faith."

Ren looked taken back by Kai's words, "That may as well be the smartest thing you've said this entire time."

Kai gave the smiling Fae prince a jokingly pissed look but allowed a small smile to grace his features. "She'll be fine. She's strong, even without her magic. She won't fail."

Then the ground began to rumble.

"For the love of gods now what?" Taron huffed as his body glowed with fire, ready to defend. Kai pressed a hand to the ice fortress and his eyes went wide.

"RUN!" He bellowed as the ice fortress began to crack and crumble. The Harlequins bolted as the princes watched with wide eyes, the ice break of and crash into the ground. Kai sprinted past them and grabbed both by their collars. He hurled them away a safe distance and raised his arms, a shield of ice erupting from the ground, blocking and falling ice.

"Kas is still in there!" Taron yelled and ran around the shield. Ren was the first to act, his hand flashed and thick vines speared through the ice and blocked off Taron's path, "Stop it Taron! You'll get yourself killed!"

Taron roared and slammed a flame encased fist into the vines, scorching them to ashes. He jumped through the hole he'd created and ran towards the falling fortress.

"TARON!" Ren hollered and whistled sharply. The steady beat of wings followed as Aspeth, in full battle size, descended upon the tundra and locked his talons around Taron' arms. The Fire prince struggled against the giant hawk as it flew back to the other princes and dropped him quite unceremoniously to the ground.

Taron scrambled to the ground and brushed off his armor plates, turning is glare onto the bird perched above, the beat of his giant wings helped to keep ice fragments from spearing through Kai's ice shield.

"You giant feathered fool!"

The only reply was a deafen screech that forced Taron's hands over is ears.

"You idiot! Do you realize you could have died?" Kai demanded, moving into Taron's personal space.

"You seem to be awfully content with letting Kas be in danger, I thought you had a heart, but I guess I was wrong Kai. You cold-hearted Icicle!"

"Check yourself Taron!" Kai growled as ice formed at his fingertips. Taron grinned wickedly.

"What, getting cold fingers Kai? Never want to do anything that doesn't benefit you. It's not the Fire clan or the Demon clan who is heartless, but the Ice clan. You're going to let Kas be crushed. She has no magic!"

"Um. . . Guys?" Ren called unsure as he peered around the ice shield. The earth had gone quiet and the only sound was Taron and kai arguing.

"Who are you to judge me Flame-head? If we had gone charging in there we all could have died! Then what? The clans perish? If we has acted irrationally and cost our people, Kas's own mother, the cure; Kas would never forgive us!"

"Guys!" Ren called a little louder stepping out from behind the ice and into the light.

"WHAT?!" Both red and blue princes yelled at the same time, magic dancing in the air around them. But the argument died in the air as they followed Ren outside the ice. The fortress was nothing more than a pile of fragments now, but even in the distance I could see something. A light coming from the pile.