VIII: Bound To Sneak

Evangeline

After the castle has gone to sleep, including my roommates, I ready myself and walk towards the kitchen back door. Another Assassin-in-disguise in France who promised me that he'll deliver my chest right away on the stroke of midnight.

I open the door expecting to see a man or a woman or at least a hooded person carrying my chest. Instead it's only my chest.

Great. Now I have to carry it all the way back to my inside all by myself. I wish Alexander was here.

But the problem: I can't hide the chest in my room. The girls would find it or would want me to open it.

I can't risk having to kill innocents again.

So I hid the chest in the barn, underneath a pile of haystack for a limited time until I'll find a new place for it. It'll be confiscated by the workers going in and out of the barn if I don't hurry and the hay'll be all gone.

I rush tugging my feet in my boots and tying their soles up while I wrap my cloak around me and put my hair in a neat bun. Patting some parts of my hair for bulging tendrils, I pull my hoodie up to its place.

I forgotten to wear my mask earlier so I'm wearing it now, making me totally anonymous.

I only brought my wrist blades, assuming I'll be staying out of combat for the whole night. Or for my whole stay here in the castle.

"Anybody there?" A Scottish-accented boy carrying a lantern calls as he roams the light around the dark barn.

The horses neighed beside me while I locked my chest up before jumping off a window and sneaking my way back to the castle.

I had to use parkour to get to Francis' room. Yes, the King's son happens to be my first target. Why? Because the niceties happen to be the bad guys at the end.

Though I hope he won't be my target. He's too gorgeous and a waste if he is.

I grunt as I land on the balcony with an inaudible thud. Now that I'm wearing my uniform, climbing isn't really a hassle anymore.

I didn't want to listen to make out sessions again so I waited for a solid minute before coming inside.

The room was dark, and I see no Francis or Mary, or both, sleeping naked at the queen-sized bed.

I locked the main door first before beginning rummaging on the young Prince's study table. In the first drawer, all I could find were love letters and dramatical poems.

On the second drawer is nothing.
On the third drawer: contracts and titles. I hoisted everything from the drawer and an envelope sealed with a familiar logo falls from the others. I return the others to the drawer and picked up the envelope. I can't believe it. It's the logo of the Templars, the Knight's Cross.

Is Francis a Templar?

The door rattles rapidly. "Hello? Is anybody there?" It's Francis himself.

I hide the envelope inside my cloak's inner pocket and dashed for the balcony. I closed the doors behind me. Then with anxiety rushing through my blood for the first time, I climbed over the railings when I hear the door slammed against the wall.

"Wait!" Francis' voice roars behind me.

I turn around, watching him watch back at me. His face is full of horror as though he has finally seen the Devil without disguise.

He takes a step forward and I didn't waited for him to stop me.

I let my body fall and three seconds of falling later, I fall to a moving wagon of haystack like rag doll.

I stayed in my lying position while I open the envelope and began reading.

Gregory,
  I need your help for I have caught the attention of a Master Assassin here in England. He has been following my footsteps, from Europe and back. I have no more men or fellow Templars to rescue me, so if you must, please help me when you get to England, before he could have his chance to kill me.

As always, may the Father of Understanding guide your journey to my salvation.

Your best friend,
  Thomas Williamson from the UK

I was wrong. Francis isn't a Templar and he isn't supposed to be the one accepting this letter.

Wait, Thomas Williamson? He was the one we were missioned to kill, and probably the last mission we ever took together as partners. I can't help but think about the kiss we almost made that day, and the last thing he said to me.

"This separation may be a good omen for the both of us, Evie." He had told me that very night.

The wagon comes into a halt, just enough for me to escape before the owner of the transportation can spot me.

I return to my chest in the barn and placed the envelope inside, its seal has now been broken apart.

I sigh and shiver to the night's temperature dropping all of a sudden. I then hear a high-pitched gasp coming from outside the barn.

There was nobody on the entrance. It must be coming from afar. I was about to change back to my disguise when I decide to check on where the gasp came from.

It came from the back of the barn, where a familiar lass, Marguerite! is being fornicated by the wagon's old driver.

How in the heck do they do these things?

I ignore them and walk back to my chest and furthermore take my uniform off.

-