On Watch

Carol, Beth and I sat at the table, talking about whatever. I was half listening and half not, thinking about my own problems. But then Beth had said something and Carol responded with, "You remind me of Sophia."

So, of course as dumb as I am, I ask, "Who's Sophia?"

A sad look washes over Carol's face and suddenly I feel horrible. She gives me a weak smile, rubbing the back of her neck. "I'm sorry, you don't-"

"No," She cuts me off. "It's okay. You didn't know... She was my daughter."

Was.

That burns a hole in my heart and I don't know what to say except give her a sympathetic look. Soon, thank god, Beth changes the subject. I find myself staring off into space again, staring at the light brown/tan guitar that always seems to be leaning against the concrete wall, untouched. 

Beth waves her hand in front of my face, trying to get my attention. I quickly snap out of my day dream, looking towards her.

"Sorry, what?"

"Not me," She points to something behind me. "Carl."

I turn around to see the bright blue-eyed-boy standing there awkwardly, staring at me. "Hey."

"Hi. Uh, sorry." I tell him, shaking my head.

He waves it off, sitting down next to me. "What were you staring at?" Carol asks, looking deep into my eyes.

I acknowledge the guitar with my head. "Who plays the guitar?"

They all turn their heads to look at it. "Nobody." Beth answers. "Glenn found it awhile back and refused to let it go."

"I forgot it was even there." Carol comments.

"Do you play?" Carl asks, seeming as if he can't take his off of me.

I shrug. "I used to. Before all Hell broke loose."

"Do you remember anything?" Carl asks, raising his eyebrows.

I shrug. "I dunno..."

"Can you show us?" Beth asks all cherry.

"Um... no." I answer right away.

"Aw, why not?" Carol asks, using her sweet mom voice.

"Sorry... but no." I smiled at them before standing up. "So, I better go. Almost time for my shift."

"No it's not." Beth said, sad to see me go so soon. "You have a half an hour left."

"So, I have a half an hour to prepare." I stated before walking away, to the corridors, and all the way to my cell.

~~~
(Carl POV)

"Well, that was weird..." Beth comments, staring in the direction Ally scurried off to, just as I am.

"Yeah..." I agree, staring into the dark corridor.

"Well, no one tells Glenn." Carol issues, slightly joking. "He'll just want her to play."

"But, why doesn't she want to? I think Glenn could get her to." Beth smirked evilly.

"No." Carol points her finger at Beth, though smiling.

Everyone was giving me a break for the rest of the day since Dad wasn't back from the supply trip yet, but I told Glenn I would take his shift in the guard tower tonight. Glenn came back early from the trip with a ton of food they had found, but the rest wanted to keep going, which I still don't understand why.

"Why?" Glenn questioned, raising his eyebrows. "Because I'm working with Ally tonight?"

"No." I argue, but I didn't come up with an excuse as to why I wanted to work tonight so I didn't say anything after that.

"Then why?" Glenn crosses his arms over his chest, smirking at me. I can feel my face heat up bright red.

"Because I... I..." And I couldn't think of anything. Not. One. Thing.

"Right..." Glenn nods, still smirking like a madman. "So, Ally?"

I roll my eyes and nod because I know Glenn already knows. "Just... Please?"

Glenn laughs, still with that stupid smile on his face. "Alright... Just, no babies."

"Glenn!" I smack his shoulder.

He only laughs harder. "Just saying!"

Later, I see Ally taking to Glenn, just before our shift. I see her laughing. I like it when she laughs. When she laughs, it's loud, opening her mouth wide. But, she always covers her mouth with her hand, trying to control herself, but it never seems to work.

But then she slowly goes serious and nods at whatever Glenn is saying.

Just then, Ally turns her head to look at me. I quickly look away, hoping she hasn't noticed I was staring. I can feel my face turn a bright red as I stare down at my boots.

"You, ready, cowboy?"

I jump at the sudden voice. My head shoots up to see Ally, staring down at me, smirking. I stumble to my feet, grabbing my gun from off the table. "Uh, yeah-yep. Ready... Let's go."

I turn around and practically run for the exit. Once Ally and I were situated in the guard tower, sitting side by side, she turned her head to look at me, her rifle loose in her hand. "Why did you take Glenn's shift? This was your day off."

"I just hope you'll do the same for me." I brush the question away, replacing it with a joke like Ally usually does.

"Yeah right," Ally scoffed, looking back into the field. "I don't give up my free time for anything." She jokes.

I laugh lightly. "Right... So, if I were dying and still had to work the guard tower, you would take your free time and not take my place?"

"Sorry, cowboy." Ally rubbed my shoulder, a joking smirk resting on her face. She then turns her head to look back at the field and I have to force myself to look away so I'm not staring.

I think I really, really, really like Ally.