Hurry

(Ricks POV)

Everyone is all down in the dumps. The whole prison just seems gloomy(well, more than usual). Ally has been in a coma for a week now, and everyone has seemed to grow a soft spot for her, including me.

But, of course, I'm most worried about Carl. He's always moping around now without Ally being around. He finally had someone to talk to and hang around that was his age. He's grown a huge soft spot for her.

To be honest, I think he has a crush on her. Well, he is a teenager now, and they're the last two in the world. And it doesn't bother me because it means he's growing up.

But now... all of that is being ripped away from him. Hershel says if Ally doesn't wake up in the next day or so... she'll never wake up.
Daryl's taking it pretty hard too. I don't know what to do anymore. I feel for bad him. He just got his daughter back and he was going to lose her again. I can't imagine being in his position. Carl would be dying...

And I feel even more bad for him. But... then there's Merle. I'm not too happy about him staying with us, but considering Daryl's situation, I'll have to deal. Glenn's angry about it, but I'm sure he'll get over it somehow, or just hide is anger like the rest of us.

It's what you do for family.

I was in the field, working on the crops. Carl was supposed to meet me out here twenty minutes ago but never showed. I stop what I'm doing and I head towards Maggie who is washing clothes with a bucket of water and old hand scrub soap.

"Hey, Maggie." I greet as I stand in front of the large blue bucket. Maggie looks up at me, dark circles under her eyes. She looks so broken that it sends a stab of sadness through my heart. Ally and her do have a strong relationship.

I can only imagine how Glenn is doing.
"Hey, Rick." Her voice is so quiet, it's almost a whisper.

"Have you seen Carl?" I ask, hand resting on the butt of my gun in my belt.

Maggie nods, sighing. "He's with Ally."

I nod, looking towards the prison. "Thanks." I look back at her. She nods, giving me a weak smile before looking down to continue her chore.

I slowly walk away, heading for our cell block. I find Hershel sitting with Beth and Judith at the table. "Have you seen Carl?" I ask them, just to make sure.

Hershel looks towards the corridor. "With Ally." He responded, voice quiet and hesitant. I sigh, looking in the direction he was looking in.

I nod, heading for the dark corridors. I slowly walk into the cell, not wanting to spook Carl. When I'm in the cell, I find Carl sitting on a chair, right next to Ally's bed, holding her hand. He's asleep, his head on the bed, behind their hands.

I smile at how cute they look. It'd be a whole lot cuter if Ally wasn't dying...

I wipe the smile from my face, softly shaking Carl's shoulder. "Hey," I whisper, leaning down to push Carl's hair out of his face. "Carl."

He quickly shoots up, looking startled. "Oh." He takes a deep breath, looking up at me. "Hey, Dad."

"Hey." I nod at him.

"Sorry I wasn't helping you this morning." My son apologies. "I told Hershel I'd watch Ally for him."

I chuckle at him. "Watch?"

Carl gives me a small smile, at the fact that he fell asleep while on watch duty. He looks down at their hands. It's like he's too scared to look at her face.

Ally is laying on her back in the bottom bunk. There's no expression on her face as she sleeps, her face as pale as a ghost. Her hair falls around her shoulders and the blanket covers up most of her body.

"Why don't you get some rest. I'll watch her." I suggest.

Carl hesitates, looking between him and Ally's intertwined hands and my face. "Dad, I-"

"Carl." I cut him off. "You didn't get any sleep last night. She'll be here when you wake up."

He hesitates. "Alive or dead?" Carl asks, gazing up at me, his voice shaky. I stare at him, shocked he'd say something like that. He's lost hope.

"She's not going to die." I say sternly. I take a deep breath, looking anywhere but him. "I've got this. Go to bed, Carl."

Carl sighs, standing up. "Fine." He gives Ally's hand one last squeeze before letting her go.

I take his spot in the chair. I look down at Ally and bit my lip. Before Carl leaves the cell, I turn to watch him go. "And that doesn't mean reading comic books."

Carl chuckles, shaking his head. "Fine." And soon he's gone, leaving me alone with the dying girl.

I look down at her. She's not moving, except for the faint rise and fall of her stomach when she breathes. It's almost like she's frozen in time, except time keeps moving, and every day she dies a little more, and everyday we lose a little more hope.

I sigh, running my hands through my sweaty hair. Ally was going to be such a big part in this group. She was going to become family, and we would have made a future for her and Carl. Maybe not like before the outbreak, but better than it is now.

She's running out of time. "Ally, I'm so sorry." I tell her. Maybe she can hear me. Maybe she's looking for a way out of her slumber right now. "You can't go now. We need you. The group needs you. Carl needs you."

Her face is still, frozen, unmoving. "You were fine on your own. You were alive on your own... I'm sorry I let this happen to you." Tears fill my eyes, and I stare down at the young girl that feels like the daughter I've never had(well obviously besides Judy but she's still young)

"I just... I need you to wake up. You're running out of time, Ally." I urge. I look around the room, looking for what else to say. "Hershel says if you don't wake up soon... It's over."

I cover my face with my hands, suddenly frustrated. "Hurry. You have to wake up now."

I hide my face behind my hands, feeling like this one-way conversation has gone too far. I'm deep in my own thoughts when I suddenly hear rustling and groaning.

Confused, I slowly remove my hands, gazing down at Ally. Her bright green eyes are shining up at me and I'm speechless.

She's awake.

Ally tries to move her body, but by the look on her face I can tell it hurts her. She tries to speak but all that comes out is a few groans and hisses. I lightly nudge her shoulder, an acknowledgment to stay down.

"No, shh. Ally, don't talk." I tell her in a soft voice. I turn my head toward the corridor and scream, "Hershel!"

Soon, Hershel and Beth run into the room, followed by Carl. "She's awake!" Beth cries.

"She's alive." Carl says, breathless.

I quickly move out of Hershel's way and go behind Carl, putting my hand on his shoulder. "I need space, I think she's going into shock." Hershel announces, sitting down in the chair I sat in seconds ago.

He begins giving orders to Beth, and Carl and I are forced to stand in the doorway of the cell. "Rick, I need Maggie." Hershel instructs.

I nod, squeezing Carl's shoulder before running in the opposite direction. "She's awake!" I scream once I'm outside, mostly because I can't help myself. Maggie jumps from her sitting position, almost knocking over the bucket of water.

And it's like she's a whole new person. Life fills her, and there's a huge ass smile on her face. "Ally?! She's awake?"

I nod, out of breath. "Hurry, Hershel needs you."

And she sprints off in the other direction as fast as she could.