The Girl With The Blond Hair And The Baby

I back up, almost tripping over myself. I look up to see a young girl about my age, maybe older, holding a small, chubby baby in her arms. The girl has long blonde hair that's pulled back into a high ponytail. She has the most innocent face, it literally kills me to see she has survived this world somehow.

"Sorry," Again, the accent. "I didn't see you."

"No, I'm sorry too. I probably should have looked both ways." I joke, staring up at her.

A small smile forms on her lips and she pushes the baby higher onto her hip. "You're Ally, right? Daryl's daughter?"

"Yep." I nod. "That's me."

"I'm Beth." She introduces. "And this is Judith." She smiles down at the blond headed baby who is chewing her own hand.

"Hi." I smile at her, and the baby. "She's Carl's sister, and Rick's daughter, right?"

Beth nods, walking closer to me. "You want to hold her?"

I stood there, dumbfounded. I didn't think anyone would ask if I would want to hold a baby ever again. I don't even remember the last time I've held one. "Uh... sure. I guess so."

Beth smiles, slowly and carefully placing the baby girl in my arms. I look down at the infant and can't help but smile. Who doesn't love a
cute, non-crying baby?

Judith smiled up at me, giggling the way all babies do. She still had that new baby smell that I didn't think I'd ever smell again. It made me happy.

"She likes you." Beth smiles, rubbing her hand on the top of Judith's head.

I smile too. "I didn't think I'd ever see a baby anything again."

Beth giggles softly. "Neither did I."

"Hello, ladies." Just then Hershel comes limping into the room, his crutches as his assistants. Both Beth and I look up at him as he continues closer to us.

"Hi, Daddy." Beth smiles, him smiling back.

"Ally, I would like to check on your stitches, if you don't mind." Hershel states, eyes on me. I nod, even though I feel fine(except maybe a little sore) but I don't want to fight with him. I slowly hand Judith back to Beth.

Just as I'm about to walk back into the corridor with Hershel, we hear screams and gunshots that puts us all at a halt. "What was that?" Beth quivers, taking a few steps back.

"They're killing the walkers around the fences." Hershel informs us.

"I have to go help them." I pull my knife from my belt, beginning for the exit.

"No, Ally, it's too dangerous. Plus, you need to let your leg heal." Hershel urges, limping closer to me. I shake my head again, I can handle myself.

"No it's okay, I'll be fine." And I run(with a slight limp) out of the door before either Beth nor Hershel could tell me to stop.

The bright light hits me like a wave and it takes a few moments for my eyes to adjust. I rub my eyes before sprinting out of the prison, going through a gate door that I shut behind me(I may be stubborn, but I'm not stupid).

I look out into the field to see Rick, Glenn, Maggie, Michonne, Carl, Daryl, and two other men in dark blue jumpsuits, killing the walkers through the holes in the fence with a bunch of different weapons. The zombies are pushing against the fence, and it looks as if it may fall on top of them, letting the dead in.

I run up to them and begin killing walkers with my knife. Glenn is the first to notice. "Ally?! What are you doing here?!" He asks, as he's taking down a few dead men.

"I heard the screams and gunfire!" I shout over the moaning zombies. "It looked like you could use a little help!"

Before Glenn can say anything Daryl runs over to us. "Ally?! You shouldn't be out here!" He talks loudly.

"I thought you could use the help!" I say, taking out yet another walker.

"You should go back inside!"

But before I could tell him to f*ck off, I hear my name from behind me. "Ally?!"

I turn around to see Carl, running towards me. "Aloha, Grimes!" I greet.

He laughs but tries to cover it up. He's not very good at that. "What are you doing out here?!" He tries to look stern and serious but it just isn't working.

Just as I'm about to respond, a walker sticks their hand through one of the holes in the fence. "Carl!" Of course, he was talking to me and wasn't paying any attention, so the walker wrapped its arm around Carl's neck, snapping its teeth at him. 

I quickly jump, sticking the knife into the walker's head. Carl practically rips out of the walker's grip and falls, forward, landing on me. We both fall back, hitting the dirt ground, him on top of me. I look up at him, both our breathing is heavy and our faces are inches apart. 

"What am I doing here, you asked? Saving your ass." I tell him. Carl laughs as he stares into my eyes then becomes calm, seeming to get lost in them, and I laugh at him. "Carl, you're crushing me."

"Oh sorry!" He pushes himself up, moving to the ground next to me. Soon, we are surrounded by the adults.

"Carl!" Rick yells, helping his son up. "Are you alright?"

"Yeah, I'm fine." Carl responses, peering up at his father who engulfs him in a hug.

Meanwhile, Daryl helps me up and I jump to my feet. First he stares at me, a soft smirk lingering on his face. "Nice work, kid."

I nod, and can't help but to smile. "Yeah," Carl agrees, looking my way. "Thanks."

"But you shouldn't be out here." Daryl insists. "You're still healing."

And this time I do roll my eyes. "I've been through worse." And he shuts up after that, just staring at me, probably trying to figure me out like I'm some sort of complicated puzzle.

"Come on, we should get inside." Rick insists, his hand on Carl's shoulder. Once we are all back inside, Glenn and Maggie take look-out in the tower for the rest of the day. We are all sitting in that huge room. I look around and it seems I've met everyone.

What do I do now? Get to know everyone better? Stay in this camp with these people? With my father... Where else would I go? I can't think of anywhere safer than where I am right now.

And It's true, I haven't felt this safe in a long while.

~~~

I deeply apologize for my lack of updates!! I'm still here and I still love you!!
Thanks for readin loves,

~Hazel