The Flowers Are Down

It's been more than a week and Rick has finally agreed to let me work the lookout towers. Last night he told me Carl was going to show me the 'ropes.'

Little did I know, he meant actual ropes. The ropes to pull the gate open. Here I was thinking it was a just a saying or a metaphor.

Hell, was I wrong.

"You pull this one to open it." Carl explains, pointing to the first rope, a shadow covering his face from the hat that always seems to be sitting on his head.

"And that rope to close it?" I guessed, pointing to the second rope.

"How'd you know?" Carl teases, a joking smirk on his face.

I gasp. "Maybe I'm a mind reader."

"Sure... Or maybe you have common sense." Carl suggests.

I shake my head. "I like mind reader better. Has a nice ring to it." I joke, nodding along to my own idiotic humor.

"Whatever you say, supergirl." Carl smirks, grabbing his rifle before walking past me. I follow him, my gun in my own hand.

"What now?" I ask anxiously, waiting behind him.

"Now," He turns his head to look at me. "I'm going to show you the guard tower."

"Cool." I nod, continuing to follow him. Being locked in a prison caring for a baby was not my cup of tea, but I had Beth and we've gotten closer. And it's really not as bad as I make it seem. I just miss being outside. I was meant for this kind of sh*t, as weird as that may sound. I just can't sit and do nothing, I guess.

Carl leads me up to the guard tower. "This is where you and I will be staying for the next four hours."

"Yay." I say sarcastically, plopping my butt down on one of the fold up chairs. Carl chuckles, plopping himself down next to me.

"It won't be that bad." He assures me. I look up at his bright eyes. They're so beautiful I can't help but stare into them, getting lost in them. "Uh... Ally?"

"Yeah?"

"You okay?"

I quickly snap out of my day dream, feeling my face turn a bright red. "Yeah, sorry." I quickly look away, gazing out into the field. "This place is huge." I quickly change the subject.

Carl nods, agreeing. "It's nice."

"Indeed it is." I nod back. 

There is a few moments of comfortable silence of us just enjoying the view(if you look past the fences and walkers). "So..." Carl begins. "How good of a shot are you really?"

I look at him, furrowing my eyebrows. "What?"

He shrugs. "How good of a shot are you?"

"Um... I'll show you." I glance over the field, looking for a good target. "You see those flowers over there? By the walker with the yellow dress?" I point out into the field.

Carl squints his eyes, following my finger. It takes him a few seconds, but eventually he nods. "Yeah."

"Watch the middle flower." I instruct him, picking up my gun. I aim for the middle flower that is beyond the fence. They're so far away, they're almost blurry. I have to get the bullet through one of the holes in the fence to hit it. I line up the gun in the right direction and pull the trigger.

And in seconds, the flower is down. Carl gasps. "HOLY SH*T!"

I laugh lightly, smirking at him. "Doubted me, didn't you, cowboy?"

"Holy sh*t." He repeats, still trying to comprehend the shot I just made. "You're... holy sh*t."

"Watch your profanity." I fake lecture him.

Carl smiles, rolling his eyes, nudging my shoulder. "You should talk." I smile, blushing at his touch and I swore I could see his cheeks turn a bright pink as well. "But seriously..." He looks where the flower once was. "You're amazing. You're a better shot than anyone here. HOLY SH*T, ALLY."

I laugh, slapping his arm. "Language!"

We sit there, making stupid jokes, talking about whatever, watching the field until Glenn comes up to tell us our shift was over.

"Maggie's got the shower schedules, go check them out." He tell us.

"SON OF A BITCH. CARL, COME ON." I grab his hand and pull him along.

Glenn smirks at me and I roll my eyes. He's definitely going to bring this up later.

"Language!" Carl mocks me and I roll my eyes. As we make our way to the cell block, we run, hand in hand, Carl slightly behind me.

We run into the room to find Maggie and Beth talking at the table. Beth looks up at us and I quickly drop Carl's hand, running towards her, but I know she saw us because she's smirking evilly at Carl. 

"SHOWERS?" I ask, sliding in next to Beth, gazing up at Maggie. Maggie smiles, biting her lip as she nods.

"YASSSSSS!!!" Beth and I high five as Carl approaches us.

"Alright, who's first?"