Girl Meets Rules

We sat at our desks, waiting. It had been one minute since then period had begun, but Mr Matthews hadn't showed up.

Lucas tapped his pen on the tabletop impatiently. "Where's your father?" He asked Riley.

"Are we getting a sub?" Farkle asked, a little panicked. "I don't want a sub. You never know where they've been." He grimaced.

"Farkle, what kind of subs have you had?" I said incredulously.

Riley looked at us knowingly. "Will you calm down? He's one minute late. Stop overreacting!"

I shook my head. "What if he never comes back? What if I never learn anything ever again? What if I actually get an A-minus for the first time in my life?!"

Farkle scraped back his chair and stood up. "Oh mama, I'm going down, sir! Oh wait, he's not even here." He fell to the ground with a thud. Riley pulled him up to his feet.

"A little help, Maya?" She asked, shoving Farkle back into his seat.

The blonde shook her head no. "Matthews is out, Farkle's down, it's Maya time." I felt slightly hurt.

"Farkle's fixed," Riley countered. "No Maya time." Just as the words left her mouth, Farkle collapsed in a sad heap on the linoleum floor. "You may proceed," she corrected herself quietly.

Maya cleared her throat. "During Maya time, we open the confiscation drawer and take back all the stuff from the land of unfairly taken toys."

Riley scoffed. "Maya, I don't anybody really wants-"

She was cut off by the sound of everyone clapping, save for Lucas, Farkle, Riley and myself. Maya opened the drawer and produced a frisbee.

"Alright, whose is this?" She asked. Jason from The Back Row raised his hand eagerly.

At that exact moment, Farkle picked himself off the floor and stood up. "What'd I miss?" Just as he said that he got hit in the face with the aforementioned frisbee. "Farkle down!" He yelled, falling down once more.

"Maya!" Riley interrupted, a disapproving look on her face. "He is going to walk in and catch you and you're going to be in trouble and I am here to keep you out of trouble, and I will have failed. Do you want me to fail?"

"Do you want me to show you how to have fun?" Maya countered.

Riley sat back in her seat. "Behaving is fun." I rolled my eyes. Sometimes I couldn't believe that they were really best friends- they were so different! Opposites attract, I guess.

"Come here!" Maya commanded.

"I really don't want to."

"You have to!" She held up her hand. A silver ring glinted under the fluorescent lights. "Ring power."

I rubbed the empty spot on my finger where I used to wear mine.

Maya grabbed a launcher of some sort and cocked it. She started shooting ping pong balls. "Tell me this isn't fun."

Riley looked like our horses back in Texas when they needed to pee. She looked warily at Maya. " Yeah, that seems like fun, but now you did it, so I don't get to do it, so are we sitting down now?" Maya grinned from ear to ear and pulled out another one from within the magical depths of the confiscated drawer. "Of course there's another one!" She looked at Maya with a serious face. "There is nothing in this world that will make me do that."

"Ring power," Maya said simply.

Riley picked up the toy and screamed.

-