Her shoulders are shaken, but she still can't get out of it. She feels like she's underwater, like she's drowning, and there's no one there to save her. She wants so badly to be strong, but this took the strength right out of her. No one should have to see this at seventeen years old, or ever in their life, for that matter.

Cold water is being flicked onto her face. It feels good and it helps her to calm down, but as the person's voice raises, she still cannot understand it. Finally, a short while later, two more voices sound and dimly she realizes that it must be her team. More hands shake her, but she still can't make her eyes focus. It seems like all of her senses have dulled and she's fairly certain that she couldn't save her own life right now if she had to. She wouldn't even be able to move.

Finally, someone picks her up and carries her inside, where they lay her down on a soft bed. Covers are pulled up to her chin as she's tucked in like a sick child and before she knows it, she's out like a light.

* * *

When she wakes up, the place is completely silent. She opens her eyes a crack and the sunlight immediately gives her a pounding headache. Her head spins as she sits up and holds a hand to her throbbing head. When she sees no one in the room, she calls out, "Hello?" Her voice cracks weakly and the sound is so quiet that she's sure you couldn't hear it from across the room.

She stands up and notices that she's now in a plain t-shirt and loose shorts. They're soft and comfortable, but not the warmest, so she grabs the thin blanket from the bed and makes her way out of the room.

She walks down the stairs on shaky legs, holding tightly to the railing so she doesn't fall. She sees Eira and Kaj in one room and hears someone else in another room. She figures it must be Phoenix and decides to go in there first.

Phoenix turns around when he hears someone walk into the kitchen and is surprised to see her there. He's across the room in an instant and has his arms wrapped around her. "How are you feeling?" He leans down so his gaze is level with hers, worry filling his dark eyes.

"O-okay," she says softly. Her voice is still weak and she clears her throat painfully. He turns around and quickly gets her a cup of water.

She takes it from him with shaky hands and takes a drink. "Slowly," he murmurs. "You don't want to make yourself sick again. You haven't had anything in your stomach for three days, so don't rush."

She almost drops the cup. "Th-three days?"

He nods pitifully. "You've been very sick. You slept for three days straight." She sets the cup on the counter in shock and he can already see where her mind is going. "Stop it. This is not your fault. You've had a lot to deal with and you pushed yourself too hard. This was your body's way of making you take a couple days to relax and recover. Now, c'mere." He pulls her into his arms again. She leans against his chest, too surprised to hug him back. He pulls away a moment later. "I'm so sorry about your father. I can't imagine how that must have felt."

Tears fill her eyes again and he hugs her again. "Shh," he cooes softly to her, smoothing her hair from her face as she fights not to cry. "We gave him a proper burial," he whispers. "We wanted to wait for you, but you weren't waking up and we weren't sure how long it would take. We thought it would be best to do it a little quicker." A sob escapes her lips as Eira and Kaj come into the room. "Are you mad at us?"

She shakes her head quickly and offers them all a small smile. "No. Thank you all very much." She leans back into Phoenix's arms and he kisses the top of her head affectionately.

"Do you want to see where we buried him?" Eira asks hesitantly.

She nods slowly and follows Eira out of the house. They walk to the outskirts of town where there's a small meadow before the grassland gives way to the forest. She sees a headstone a short distance away and instinctively knows it's his. They reach it and the only thing keeping her up on her feet anymore are Phoenix's strong arms. She doesn't even realize that she's crying again until she sees Eira in front of her and feels her gentle hands wiping away her tears. It looks like Eira is trying to stop her own tears from falling as well, but Valkyrie is too focused on the headstone. It has his name, his lifespan, and a quote about being a loving father, husband and role model, but she doesn't see that. She sees that it's a beautiful headstone made of a smooth, silvery rock and carved with curving letters. On one side there's a design for fire and the other, there's ice, and in the middle, a father laughing with a little girl.

She nearly whimpers at the scene and her grip on Phoenix tightens. "We made it," Kaj says. "If you don't like it though-"

"It's beautiful," she says, her voice thick with tears. "I love it. Thank you so much."

Eira hugs her, Kaj squeezes her hands, and Phoenix's arms tighten as he kisses the side of her head. "Anything for you."