6 • darkness

"It's life that builds the darkness and demons that dwell within." 

          Sighing, I looked out the window at the garden below. I curled up on the window seat, clutching onto the warm mug filled with tea. Classical music played faintly from the room next door where Finderson and a few maids on staff busied themselves. Humming along quietly to Chopin's Nocturne 2, I continued to watch as small birds flitted through the fog and between trees. The scene and atmosphere gave me such peace I wished I could've been painting in that moment. That reminded me, with all the time I had to spend in the manor I could finally start up my painting again. I no longer worked so, I had no reason not to. My only issue would be finding all the watercolors and brushes among the box of things I'd brought back from New York. I took a deep breath in and leaned further into the wall behind me. After all the confusing and hectic events that'd taken place in the past few weeks, it was nice to finally relax and perhaps enjoy the old hobbies I liked to occupy myself with.

However, I knew for a fact that it would soon come to an end. But for the moment, I decided I would bask in the time that I had. Unfortunately with all that had happened in the time of being there, I was constantly burdened with the thoughts and nightmares which tormented me. It was as if, the longer my inquiries of the manor persisted, the more my physical and mental condition declined. I kept thinking, what of that blonde haired man that seemed to enjoy striking such possessive fear in me? Or Cole? Who was he really? I hadn't seen him in weeks. It also seemed that every time I was curious or asked anything about the manor, or even Cole, people either avoid any opening to such a conversation or just seem confused. It seemed to me the only lead I had on anything going on here may be that black journal from the library. However, I hadn't touched it since the day I took it from the library. Something about the entries written in it made my stomach churn. 

          I was brought out of my thoughts by a knock at the door. Hearing the heavy footsteps enter the room, I turned to stare at the person. Eyes widening in surprise, I quickly composed myself, convincing myself to stay seated and unaffected by his presence. He seemed to be amused at my momentary shock, smirking slightly. 

          "What are you doing here?" I questioned him. My lips pursed and arms crossed over my chest. I tried to keep a blank stare. 

         Cole grinned like the cheshire cat and chuckled, moving to lean onto the ottoman at the foot of my bed. "Relaxing?" I glared at him in response. 

          "Hmmm, good answer Miss." his green eyes gave me a knowing look just as he jutted his head back. "Read any good books lately?" My eyes flicked in the direction he was referring to, realizing he meant the black journal that sat on my nightstand. Concentrating back on his face, I raised an eyebrow and got up from the window seat, smoothing out my clothing. 

          "Why should I tell you? I don't even know you. Where you come from. I don't even know if you really work here. Nobody seems to know anyone by the name of Cole on my staff." I replied staring the brunette blank in the face. As if he wasn't already grinning widely, his smile got eerily larger as he got up from his leaning position, taking another few steps towards me. I crossed my arms across my chest once more, but held my stance. 

          "I thought you'd ask that. Have a good day, Miss Gabriella." Cole turned to leave my room, but I knew if he left now, I may never get the chance to have some of my questions answered. He knew. He must've known just what was going on. I called to him quickly, "Wait." His steps stopped in their tracks. Not turning or giving me any sign to go on, I continued. 

         "Tell me the truth. You wouldn't have come here for no reason. Also I'd be an idiot to think that you know nothing of the incidents that have occurred around here lately. Tell me what you know, now."