3 • figments

NOTE:   Hey everyone! Sorry this took so long to update. I've either been busy or experienced major writer's block, but I'm finally happy to update and hopefully get this story rolling. Thank you for your patience and I hope you enjoy this chapter!

◆◆◆

"Your perceived reality is only a figment of your imagination."

           I froze in place. I could hear the creaks of floorboards, as if someone was in the library with me. The sound of the footsteps seemed, to move closer to the aisle I was in then suddenly came to a halt. A slight fear welled up inside me, and I willed myself to cautiously peer around the corner of the book shelf. Scanning the library, I saw no one. Not a living soul. Breathing out a sigh of relief, I relaxed and leaned against the shelf. But my relief was short-lived when the books began to fly off the shelves. I shrieked in terror as books almost hit me. I quickly tried to use my hands to protect myself. Books floated in the air as others hurled past the aisle or almost hit me.

          What the heck was going on here?

Quickly crouching to the ground, I placed my hands on either side of my head, curling my torso up towards my knees. Books continued to hurl past me in a whirlwind. Looking up to search for some sort of escape route, I could feel my anxiety begin to build slightly. Suddenly, a sure of adrenaline coursed through me. I could feel it running through me until I finally stood up. I dodged books left and right as I narrowed my sights on the double doors of the library. However, I had last focus when one of the books came and hit me straight in the back, then my head, until I fell to the ground. Letting out a wince of pain, I quickly gathered myself and got up from the wooden floorboards; all the while shielding my face. I'd finally managed to reach the doors when I grasped the door handle.

Everthing stopped. Just like that. The books had frozen in mid-air. Turning to try to fully grasp my situation, I couldn't stop staring at the sight before me. This was impossible. How could any of this be happening. I felt a cold surge run down my spine; that only further enhanced the eerie feeling in the pit of my stomach. My breathing was harsh and labored. I began to take a step forward to inspect the scene. I took slow steps to try and avoid the frozen chaos of obstacles around me. Pages were stuck in mid-air, books hung suspended above and below my head. The library was deathly silent and still. Glancing to an open book that hovered above my head, I slowly lifted my hand and grazed my index finger along the spine of the book. I lightly tapped it, causing the book to close and spin around to where I could read the title of it.

A creak sounded to my left, I quickly whipped my head over. Scanning the doorway of the library, just as Cole strolled in slowly.

          "Are you alright, Gabriella?" he asked.

I paused, lost in thought, I could feel my eyes zone out of focus as I zeroed in on Cole's face. I felt my lips and mouth moving but couldn't make a sound. Distantly, I could feel Cole move closer to me and just as he placed his hand on my shoulder it was as if reality came rushing back to me. I gasped as oxygen rushed into my lungs; I hadn't even realized that I'd been holding my breath. My eyes began to regain focus as dark green eyes came into view.

          "Gabriella, are you okay?"

I was just about to explain what happened when I realized everything was gone. The books were no longer suspended and papers were not scattered all over the place. The library appeared to be completely untouched. No sign of any chaos whatsoever. As if I'd imagined everything that had just taken place. My eyes widened in disbelief. I couldn't tell Cole anything. I would sound like a raving lunatic. I looked down at my feet then back up, trying to gather myself. Taking a step back I slowly nodded my head as I looked back at Cole's face.