2 • surroundings

"Exploring one's surroundings can be a dangerous thing..."

           Wandering down the halls of the manor, I'd decided to go back to the kitchen. Perhaps I could grab a quick snack? I could already hear my stomach growling. Okay, maybe I needed more than a snack. Strolling back down the small corridor leading to the kitchen, I could hear the clutter of kitchen knives slicing and pans clanging. The faint scent of food growing stronger with each step I took. Rounding the corner I slowly crept in observing the surroundings.

The once clean and tidy kitchen I'd seen only about an hour or so ago was already a mess. Cooks were scurrying around preparing, chopping, and stirring. Then in the midst of the busy kitchen staff was the chef. I believe his name was Gustav? The scene reminded me of the diner back in New York. I could just see the old chef yelling profanities at his cooks while servers ran in and out. As a waitress, the kitchen environment was of much familiarity to me, so watching the hustle and bustle of the kitchen staff before me almost made me feel obligated to join in and help. 

I moved to lean on the counter farthest from all the action but close enough to overlook the entirety of the kitchen. The strong scent of food cooking making my taste buds tingle and my mouth salivate slightly. Still oblivious to my presence, Gustav was waving around a wooden spoon tasting every different part of the meal courses. The kitchen staff, scrambling about to satisfy his requests.

          "Can I help you, miss?"

          I felt a light hand tap my shoulder. Turning around I was met with the warm gaze of an old woman. She looked to be about 60 years old.

          "Oh, I think I'm fine, thank you," I smiled.

          "Well, in that case, my name is Ruth.  How are you liking everything dear?" The old woman grabbed a stool and sat beside me.

          "Everything is absolutely wonderful, I never could've ever imagined this to happen," I exclaimed.

          "Ah yes," replied Ruth, "what have you done in the manor so far?"

          "Just explored the hallways a bit.  Oh, and I met one of the staff members as well, except it was more of a run-in at first," I laughed lightly.

          "Oh who?" she smiled, her brown eyes gleaming.

          "He said his name was Cole?"

          "Cole?  There isn't anyone named Cole in the staff here," Ruth's face contorted into a look of confusion.

          "Oh. Are you sure?" That's weird.

          "With all due respect miss, I've been a part of the staff here at Deacon's Manor for quite a long time. So long that my hair's turned grey!" The old woman laughed to herself.

          "Oh well-"

          "Oh don't you worry about that anymore dear! Let me grab you something quick to eat! You mustn't go to bed with an empty stomach."

I smiled at Ruth and lightly nodded my head. Returning the smile, she got up off her stool and went to a room with two opaque, glass doors. Ruth navigated her way through the sea of kitchen staff and prepared a light snack. Quickly returning, she placed in front of me a white plate with some toast and strawberry jam.