p r o l o g u e

She sprinted as fast as she could, feet scraping against the rough, forest floor. Her breathing was harsh and shallow as she veered around low-slung trees. The sounds of wind resonated in her ears. Continuing down the faded paths of gravel and wood, she ran faster than she's ever run in her life. The harder she ran, the more of a blur the forest before her became. Glimpses of green spun around her, as the world seemed to move in circles. With every sharp corner she took, the farther she felt from everything she left behind. Tears gathered from the corners of her eyes as she choked down sobs. She slowed down to a jog. Breathing heavily, she turned around for any sign of danger. Backing up into a clearing between the trees, a black darkness loomed overhead.

          "Katherine!"

An overwhelming panic set in. Instinctively, she ran out from the clearing and towards the boy's shrieking voice. Leaping over logs and ducking under branches, she quickly made her way towards the screams.

        "Al--" she shrieked as she tripped forward.  A black mist lingered behind her as she felt a force pull her backward by her leg. 

     The tree roots and sharp twigs creating claw-like marks down her back as she screamed.  The black mist slowly crawled up the length of her body. She kicked and cried out, trying to grip onto the forest floor.  The dirt caking underneath her nails.

With one hand she reached back, grabbing whatever she could and throwing it towards the black mist.  Putting one arm forward she held her palm up, allowing a shot of white light strike the fog-consumed earth.  She was no longer being pulled as the black mist diminished.  She panted fast, sobs escaped her. Dirt and small bleeding wounds covered her body.  Blood seeping through her clothing. Hearing the young boy shout for her again, she cried out for him and slumped against the nearest tree.  The harsh bark digging into her damaged flesh.  Her eyes faltered and her head lulled to the side. 

     Suddenly, she was pinned down to the hard ground.  Her head making contact with the ground causing her vision to darken.  She struggled to move. She was in a frozen state, paralyzing numbness moved its way up her body. Her throat closed up as if a hand was physically crushing her windpipe from the inside. She choked and gasped for oxygen. Black spotted her vision. Her eyelids fluttered. As pinpricks moved up her spine, her panic began to diminish and she welcomed the darkness.