Chapter 3: Dodge

I awoke to light knocking on my door.

Reluctantly, I got up and opened it because I recognized the tapping pattern. Slowly, I walked up to the door and opened it. As I expected, it was my sister, Kayla. "What do you want?" I asked my sister before I noticed her red retinas. 'Oh shit my contacts.' I thought to myself while panicking. "Hey, I see you didn't take off your contacts, you should take them off." Kayla said. I smiled slyly, "Give me a second." I said and closed the door again.

I took them off and put then in an emergency case I always had in my pockets. After returning the case to it's rightful place, I opened the door again. "Is there something else you came for?" I asked Kayla as she entered my room and sat down on my bed.

"Well, I came here to ask you to stay low for me." she smiled innocently. I frowned "Then I'll really be useless ..." I responded.

"It's just that I have a bad feeling about this in my gut. I feel like something's going to happen to you, I'm worried for you." she said.

I sighed. Life couldn't be crueler, right? I thought to myself. "I'll be taking the lessons that the king advises me, there's no need to worry about me." I said and I laid my hand on her back.

"If you say so. Cason, please be careful for now." Kayla said before getting up and leaving my room.

I got dressed and went out, running into Eliza.

"Good morning." I told her. "Good morning master." she said back to me.

"The king has told me to tell you to report to Lorad, the captain of the 1st regiment after you have had your breakfast." she told me.

"Can you lead me to the dining hall?" I asked her. "Certainly, master." she said and we headed down the confusing labyrinth of halls.

7 minutes later we reached the dining hall and found about 14 of us still eating breakfast. I quickly took the weird soupy thing and spooned it in my mouth. It's bitter taste responding to my mouth instantly, it's texture was rather ... interesting (Mr. Sarcasm over here having a great time.).

In my opinion it was terrible, but no one listens to me anyway.

Looking around I could see the others making sour faces while eating.

Meanwhile Eliza was sitting by me trying to hold back laughter while looking at me having a similar reaction to it like everyone else.

After reluctantly finishing my food, I got up and gave back the dishware back to the one who served us breakfast. Then I went towards the exit to find Eliza was already there. "I will lead you to the training grounds." she said before leading me through the maze yet again.

..........

"You sure he's going to be here?" one of Harold's lackeys asks him. "Of course he will, the King said so, he trying to learn about <Scythes>, what is going to be? A farmer?." Harold laughed. The rest laughed with him. "Lets train with him, our way." he grinned yet again.

.........

After some time passing we finally reached the training grounds. We were met there by Lorad, and his fellow knights training on some hay sacks.

"My my, are you Cason the useless?" Lorad asked me.

"Yeah, but please just call me Cason." I told him. "Well Cason, lets see your style." he hands me a sickle. "What do I do with this?" I asked him. "Isn't that the weapon you're great at?" he asked me. A simple mistake.

I take the sickle and asked him "Do you have a spear and some thin yet strong rope things?". "Go get him what he needs." Lorad said to a squire.

After some time in silence, the squire returns with some strong twine made from horse tail. He hands me a spear next. "Like this." I tell him while tying the sickle to the spear's end, making a makeshift scythe. After reinforcing the twine I swung it around. It felt rather clunky and light but that was okay.

Locating the closest dummy, I swing the scythe with no specific technique. Testing it out a bit, I suddenly felt like doing a complex maneuver. Doing a little jump and doing a overhead spin with the scythe, I embedded the toe of the scythe into the dummy's head, making a hole deep enough to fit my index finger in.

Lorad looked surprised after I pulled it off. He inspected the dummy and stepped back. "There is no way that is useless in combat." he smiled.

"We will test you out on a fellow hero. Is that alright?" he asked. I nodded.

Suddenly Harold and co. step out of the shadows and confront me. "I'm your sparring partner." Harold grinned  while holding a claymore.

He quickly swung his sword at me and I successfully dodged. Landing on the ground feet first, I stood my ground. He hit the spear shaft and pulled it out the splintering wood.

I spun around him but he somehow anticipated it.

He then parried my horizontal attack of the chine of the scythe with a flick of his broadsword.

'Man he is good with his sword.' I thought to myself, nearly going into a coughing fit when I realized what I said inside my head. "Give up?" Harold asks me before nearly stabbing my right arm, I dodged of course. I swung again but he parried. Leaving me a bit defenseless, he went for a strike, I dove to the ground to avoid that one.

A notification appeared in front of me, if it were anyone else but me they would have died there and then, but I read it as fast as I could.

————————————————
Notification: Class Passive Ability
————————————————
You have just unlocked one of
your class abilities. Read as follows
————————————————
Unlocked Passive Ability: [Auto
Skill Master]
Cause: Unlocking [Dodge]
Des: Any skill unlocked via training
will result in auto Lv Max when
obtained
Effects: Makes Skills Lv Max when
obtained via training; makes skill
unlock extremely easy. Example:50 Dodges to 3
————————————————
Paid by Insodence, God of Knowledge
————————————————

I nearly fainted when I saw the notification. 'Thanks fate for this overpowered skill' I thought to myself, thanking fate again. I engaged battle again, Lets, Do, This.

I did a feint and he tried to parry. I hit him in the neck with the ring of the scythe. He covered he neck and winced.

"Nice moves kid." Lorad praised me. Harold's lackeys were left dumbfounded, and tried to get Harold and leave. They scurried away. I stood there laughing the entire time. Revenge is sweet.

"Master, we should be heading to the Church to see if you are compatible with the [Light] attribute." Eliza said before dragging me away from the training grounds.