Chapter 2: The Useless One

The room was silent for a few seconds.

"Well, it seems like you are going to be a healer, I guess." the perturbed King said.

I sighed, "If you wish, your majesty." I bowed. The maid started to comfort me. I felt the stares of jealousy from my fellow male classmates.

I felt like crying but I had to stay composed and hope for the best. There went my chances of being the best. "Dismissed, and stay weakest one." the King said. I gulped yet again.

Everyone except me, the King, and the maid gradually left the room. "So hero, were you telling the truth?" the King asked. "Yes, your majesty." I said. "Check again for me please." he ordered me.

I touched the cube yet again. There was no change in my stats. "No change, your sire." I said.

He processed the information slowly, taking his time. He nodded silently.

"Well, I will send you to the library for now, send you to a few fighting lessons tomorrow, and maybe check the church to see if you are compatible with [Light] magic for healing." the King said.

"Your majesty, may I get 2-handed weapon handling lessons?" I asked the King. "Why?" he asked back.

"I have [Scythe Mastery] Level Max." I told him. "<Scythe>? What kind of weapon is that?" he said, leaving me dumbfounded. "It's not really a weapon, but a tool. It's hard to use as one, maybe more than a broadsword. It's more skill than power. It's also the chosen weapon of the [Grim Reaper]." I said.

"The [Grim Reaper]? It sounds powerful, what exactly is it?" the King asked. 'What kind of world is this?' I thought to myself. "It's the harvester of souls, an undead so powerful no man can hope beat it, even {Undead Kings} bow down before it." I told the King.

The King's face lost its color, and he began stuttering. "Is it r-really th-that p-p-powerful?" he asked me. "Yes it is." I said. He put his hands on his head and left it resting there. "A monster so powerful even the top bow." he said.

An idea flew into my mind and I began laughing maniacally in my head. "You can only see it on your deathbed, and once you see it, it will harvest your soul with it's <Scythe> and you will die." I said with my greatest poker face.

"Please go to the library and leave me to think." the King croaked. Mission Accomplished!

I left the throne room and I met the maid yet again. "I'm sorry for the late introduction, my name is Elizabeth, you may call me Eliza." Eliza said. "Well Eliza, may you take me to the library?" I told her. "Yes, master." she said to me.

.........

Meanwhile in a different room-

"Wow, he's more useless than sleepyhead over here." Harold said, looking to Dello, Cason's neighbour in the class. Dello yawned, "I don't get enough sleep dude." he said as he stretched a bit. "Lets give Cason a bit of good hospitality, our style for refusing our offer earlier." Harold said with his stupid grin.

.........

"Why, why, why, why, why!" Kayla screamed into her pillow thing. Silvia comforted her as best as she could.

"Why is it always me that gets the best things and he always getting the worst." Kayla cried into her pillow. "It could be a blessing in disguise." Silvia told her.

When Silvia heard Cason's stats, a long hidden disgust for Cason was triggered. For now she is wearing a mask of concern for Kayla's sake.

"Why can't he get something nice for a change." Kayla said. Something from the dark in her own head spoke.

'Do you really want him to get better?' a mysterious voice said. 'Yes' Kayla responded. ' Form a contract with me and I will help you with what you want.' the voice said.

'What kind?' Kayla asked, weary that it may be a trick. 'Well, you tell me what the humans are planing and I help you, a win for both of us.' the voice said. Kayla instantly recognized it was one, and by the {Demons} no less. 'No' Kayla responded. 'Well, your loss. Maybe someone else can help me.' the voice said, becoming silent and looking for another weak willed human that was summoned that day.

.........

"Why are these halls so confusing?" I asked Eliza. "Just in case of if invaders invade the castle." Eliza responded. "Well are we close?" I asked. "Nearly." Eliza said calmly.

A good 5 minutes later we found a pair of giant doors that held the library (13 meters tall, my mind wants to say). Despite their appearance, it's opened by two smaller doors about 2 meters tall (~6.7 feet) at it's base.

We opened the door to find the place in a mess. Ladders everywhere, bookcases as tall as the doors that can't open (Well they probably can but how can one measly human do it?), and a few librarians running all over the place returning books to their place one by one. 'Trollies anybody?' I thought to myself.

There were many robed people sitting in wooden made desks and seats.

Eliza pointed at a guy sitting at a reception-like desk, head deep into a book, "Over there is the head librarian, he will help you. I must go do something, I will be back with your dinner." Eliza said before leaving, leaving antisocial me to talk to the head librarian.

I approached him and said hello, "Can I get anything about this world?" I asked. "Ahh, an otherworlder, welcome to our library, so about the monsters, magic, or history?" he asked me. "All, put more stress on the monsters and magic." I told him. He understood and left his desk.

10 minutes later and a woman behind me, he came back with 6 books. "This is 'History By Jous Lonvee', 'Magic and Monsters by Doman Gueo', 'Encyclopedia of Monsters by Helo Paruli', 'Herbs and Poisons for Dummies by Nadume', 'Magic for Beginners by Uilo Gasót', and 'The Bible'." he said. I looked at him with my 'What?' face. "I have no reason to read 'The Bible', but hell, if you insist, I will" I said while taking my books.

Searching for a desk was easy, it was about 4 minutes walking time from the front desk. I set down my books and began to read them. Thank god for my amazing reading speed.

Halfway through my 4th book about 7 hours later, 'Encyclopedia of Monsters', Eliza came back with some stew. "Here is your dinner master." she said before heading back. I ate my meat stew with hard bread in silence, while reading my books. After finishing 'The Bible' many hours later, I headed to the halls and got lost.

A good 20 minutes passed by before a guard found me. I had to ask him to take me where I was supposed to stay. He reluctantly took me to an empty room and left me there. It was a small room with a desk, a magical lamp, a one man bed, and no windows. It had white colour walls, white coloured ceiling and tile,and it blinded me yet again.

After adjusting to the whiteness, I laid on my bed and let its rough texture and hardness increase my tiredness. I fell asleep wondering how people fell asleep on those beds.