Becoming A Shadow

Chapter 1

I awoke to the sound of my alarm going off. My hand darted out from under the blankets and quickly turned it off. I opened my eyes only to close them again because the sun that was beaming through my window. Blocking the sun with my blankets, I opened my eyes again but this time I kept them open. Sluggishly I crawled out of bed shivering when my feet hit the cold hardwood floor. I quickly made my way to the bathroom, turned on the shower, and waited for the water to warm up. Once the water was warm I got in, showered as usual, and got out. I grabbed the robe that was hanging on the shower door and wrapped it around my body. Heading over to the sink I washed my face and brush my teeth, then went to my closet to get dressed. As I was picking out my clothes my phone started to ring. I raced into my room to answer it.

I took in a couple deep breaths and said "hello."

"Girl you sound like you just ran a marathon." My best friend Amanda said laughing.

"Haha shut up Amanda I was in my closet getting dressed." I placed the phone on the sofa, put it on speaker and walked back to my closet

"Oohh no do not pick your clothes I want to pick them for you! I'm coming over." She yelled then hung up the phone.

"But it's cold" I said to myself sighing. Tightening my robe up a bit I walked back into my room, sat on my bed, and looked on Twitter till I got bored. Just as I was about to get on Instagram my bedroom door busted open. I let out a scream, dropped my phone and crawled to the top of my bed. I sighed with relief when I saw it was only Amanda and rolled my eyes as she bent over laughing. Crossing my arms over my chest I patiently waited for her to stop laughing.

Once she was done laughing, she straightened up and smoothed out her shirt. I took this time to examine her outfit. It was a dark maroon like sweater with black leggings and a pair of dark brown boots. Honestly, my best friend does have a great fashion sense.

"Okay girl lets pick out some clothes for you to wear!" Amanda excitedly clapped her hands and ran towards my closet.

I got up off my bed and followed her into my walk in closet. I sat down on the little bench and waited for her to get done looking. She was inspecting all of my clothes throwing the ones she didn't like to the side. About five minutes later she finally found something for me to wear.

"Okay so you are going to wear this dark blue sweater with these black leggings and.. definitely these boots" Amanda held the outfit in front of her gently shaking it.

I got up and grabbed the clothing leaving the boots on the floor. As I was walking back to my bathroom I noticed the outfit she picked for me was similar to her outfit. "Hey Amanda why are we matching today?" I shouted back towards the closet where I left her.

She walked out with a big grin on her face and said "because I felt like we should match today! Right then and there I knew something was up, but I brushed it off continuing my journey to the bathroom.

After I got dressed I walked out of the bathroom to find Amanda sitting on my bed with my makeup scattered everywhere. "Sit your happy ass down in that chair! It's time for makeup and hair." Amanda shouted. I walked towards my vanity, but stopped when I heard her giggling then I heard her mumble 'I'm a poet and didn't know it.' I busted out laughing at this and continued walking towards the vanity. I looked in the mirror to see Amanda was still silently giggling.

Once she gained control of herself she stood up and gathered the things she needed. "Okay time for me to start my masterpiece!" She pretended to hold a paint brush and a palette as she started. She laughed at her own little joke and walked over towards me and started my hair. Amanda began brushing the knots out of my hair making me sigh. I closed my eyes enjoying the feeling of her brushing my hair. A few minutes later she was finished with my hair leaving it to air dry. "Okay now I need you to close your eyes so I can start the makeup" Amanda said turning me away from my mirror. After what seemed like forever I heard Amanda say "okay you can open your eyes now."

I opened my eyes and blinked them a few times while they adjusted to the lighting. I turned my chair back towards the mirror and it shocked me with what I saw. She had done my eyes in a dark brown with gold specks along the crease with a simple black eyeliner. She paired the look with a nude lip and left my face natural. "Thank you so much Amanda! You're the best!" I said as I got up to give her a hug.

She pulled away from the hug and said, "I know I am. Now get your shoes on and grab your things we got to get moving or we're going to be late!" as she rushed out of my room. I grabbed my stuff and ran out the door after her ignoring the grumble of my stomach. Once I got to her car I saw she had two McMuffins and two iced coffees.

"You thought I forgot breakfast didn't you?" She slanted me a grin

I looked at her with a grin of my own and said "honestly for a minute I did, but then I remembered you were a fat ass so you couldn't skip breakfast." She giggled then her face hardened.

She let out a gasp and covered her mouth acting as if what I had said hurt her feelings " I am not a fat ass I just love my food." She Opened her McMuffin, took a large bite and smiled at me. Instantly we both busted out laughing. Muffin went everywhere making us laugh harder.

Once the moment was over I buckled my seatbelt and turned to see Amanda with little pieces of bread on her face. "Oh Amanda you know I love you right?" I said laughing. She shook her head and continued to eat.

I looked down at my phone to see it was seven thirty. I gasped and Amanda quickly looked at me with concern and asked "whats wrong?"

"We need to get going or we are going to be late for school!" I said throwing my hands in the air making her bust out laughing. "You are such a nerd" Amanda shook her head as she pulled out of my drive way.

After we got to the school we gathered our things and made our way into the building. We made small talk as we made our way to the main office to get our schedules.

"Man I hope we have all he same classes this year" I said to Amanda.

"Me too! I need someone to copy off of" Amanda said as she patted my shoulder.

"I feel the love Amanda" I rolled my eyes at Amanda.

As I was walking with Amanda to the front office I saw my mom talking to the principal.

"Hey Kyra why is your mom talking to the principal?" Amanda asked pointing over towards the principal's office.

" I don't know" I whispered as I walked over to my mom.

"Hey mom what's going on?" I asked catching her off guard.

She whipped around smacking the principal with her hair "Just the girl I was looking for. My mom shouted as ahe pulled me to the side "Listen tonight I need you to come straight home after school." She pulled her phone out of her purse.

I looked at my mom and knew my eyes were wide "you have to be kidding! I already have plans with Amanda tonight" I yelled making her look up from her phone.

She let out a sigh dropping her head slightly "listen Kyra, I know I said you could hang out with Amanda tonight, but something came up so I need you home tonight." She placed her hand on my shoulder.

I backed up away from her hand and said "Whatever, I'm late for class you should probably go." I turned around and walked back towards Amanda who patiently waited for me.

"What was that about?" Amanda linked her arm with mine.

"Talk about it later" I said continuing my way to class.

The rest of the day I sat in all of my classes wondering what was going on with my mom.