Chapter 20

"I'm hungry..." Mitch uttered after a while of him and Avi watching their boyfriend in sleep in silence.

"Mmhm... understandable, it's past noon already" Avi replied. "Shall we check out the cafeteria?"

Mitch sighed. "Would be the best idea. I kind of don't want to leave him alone though..."

"I know. I don't really want to go either, but still, we cannot be here all the time and now that we know that he's more or less fine, I don't feel too bad going" Avi explained. "Plus we shouldn't forget about ourselves, you know?"

"You're right, Babe." Mitch took Scott's hand and squeezed it. "We'll be back after a snack, Dear, I promise."

When the two men got ready to leave, though, there was a knock on the door which was opened afterwards. Dr John stepped in, together with a nurse and another doctor.

"Oh hello, Mr Grassi, Mr Kaplan." Dr John greeted them. "This is my colleague, Dr Rodriguez. She'll take over, as my shift is about to end."

They shook hands and exchanged a few warm words, before the doctors concentrated on exchanging the vital information about Scott.

Avi and Mitch waited patiently, not interrupting the talk that consisted mainly of medical terms.

"Okay" Dr John turned to them again, once they were finished. "We just talked about what we're going to do with Mr Hoying in the next few days. Tomorrow, he is scheduled for another scan of his head and his knee. The scan of his head is just to make sure that there really is nothing more than the concussion. And we need to see about his knee as well. But for today we'll let him rest. Has he been awake again?"

"Yeah, twice, actually. But only for ten-fifteen minutes" Mitch explained.

"That's good, because that's exactly what I expected" Dr John replied. "What I am interested in, though, is how he acted and reacted? Are you under the impression that he was different?"

"He was pretty much himself, I guess" Avi explained. "Sure, he was drowsy, but he talked, he was his cocky self, it was the Scott I know. What do you think, Mitch?"

"I agree. Scott really was himself, only a little bit weaker, given the circumstances" Mitch added.

"I'm not weak!"

Everyone looked at Scott, who was glaring at Mitch out of tired, blue eyes.

"I didn't say that you were weak, Scotty, I said weaker than you usually are" Mitch explained softly. He had noticed the small smirk on Scott's face, so he knew that he wasn't that serious.

"Hmmm..." Scott smiled slightly.

"Hello, Mr Hoying" Dr John spoke up. "May I quickly introduce you to Dr Rodriguez? She's going to take over my shift and she'll be responsible for you for the next shift."

"Hello" Scott greeted. "Nice to meet you."

"Hello, Mr Hoying, how are you?" Dr Rodriguez asked.

"Mmhm... tired and... I don't know how to describe it... a little dull? Like there is fog inside of my head?"

"I understand, Mr Hoying. This is completely normal for now, though and it will pass. We put you into a deep slumber and you body is just dealing with the aftereffects of it. Also, you're still suffering from the concussion. You'll get better over time, you'll notice" the doctor explained.

"Okay" Scott replied.

"Good. How does breathing feel?" The doctor asked.

Scott furrowed his brows and focused on breathing for a moment. "Getting better. There still is pressure on my chest, but it's bearable."