31 | red

_____________________________

BUT IF YOU'LL
REALLY HOLD ME TIGHT
______________________________

She stepped onto the bus, and Parker's eyes widened.

Her hair was red.

(as red as the bus, as red as the christmas streamers. as red as fire)

"Delilah!" Parker exclaimed, his eyes wide open.

She smiled softly, and pulled the strap of her bag.

"Do you like it?" she asked, as she walked down the aisle of the bus.

Parker swallowed. "It's brilliant. Remember that time you asked me - "

"Yeah." She tucked a strand of her hair behind her ear. "I dyed it red cause you thought it suited me best."

Parker's heart swelled. He walked forward, and cupped her cheek. "And cause it makes you look like the brave girl you are. Like the brave girl you must be."

She looked down at the floor of the bus, and placed her own hand on his. "I know."

He smiled again, and gave her way to take her seat. "What's with the bag?" he asked, eyeing it curiously. "Got me another gift?"

She caught his wink, and smiled slightly. "Actually yes. But the thing is, I'm going to be staying with my aunt for some days."

Parker's heart dropped lightly. "So, you're not going to come in the bus?"

"No," she replied, her eyebrows raising up in despair. "I'm so sorry, Parker. But I need a change of environment, right?"

But Parker couldn't bear with a change of environment, when she was his entire universe.

However, he swallowed and pasted a grin onto his face. "Of course, Delilah. Plus you'll be safe." He ran a hand through his hair.

Delilah looked at him like her face was going to crumple up any second. "Yeah."

"Where is your aunt's house?" he asked, trying to change the topic.

"Vauxhall street," she said, the words tumbling out quickly.

"Oh," he said, his fingers drumming a tune on the seat. "Where in Vauxhall street? I used to live near there when I was young."

"Um, I forgot," she said, with a shaky laugh. Parker raised a brow at her, already concerned about the situation. "Don't worry, I'll call her up once I reach, so she can pick me up."

"Oh good," he said, as her words immediately killed his worries. "How many days will you be gone?"

"Um, I'm not sure yet... Maybe ten?" she trailed off unsurely.

Parker wasn't feeling good about this decision she was making. He opened his mouth, but she beat him to it by interlacing her fingers within hers.

"Parker, you will always love me right?"

Parker stopped in his tracks, and stared at her with wide eyes.

"Of course, Delilah." He tightened the grip on her hand. "Why do you even ask? You know, that I'll always love you."

"And," she leaned forward, her eyes looking glazed. "You'll never forget me right?"

Parker laughed at this. "Delilah, love. It's only a couple of days that you're going to be gone." He squeezed her hands, warmly. "You're talking as though you're never going to come back."

At this, Delilah remained silent, save for a small hiccup.

Something inside Parker shifted. His mind suddenly went blank, and his grip on her hand loosened.

"Delilah?" His eyes moved to her bag.

Wasn't Vauxhall street the closest one to the railway station?

a/n

what would you do, if you were in delilah's position? I've always wanted to ask you this!

love,

aspir.