Scene 4: Spafford cottage (Little Horatio's bedroom)

sometime after the service

(while guests are at the house for the reception, Anna sits on a chair in Little Horatio's bedroom holding baby Tanetta, then Horatio walks into the room)

HORATIO: What a beautiful service at the church. (Anna stares into space) Why don't I allow you to rest and I shall take baby Tanetta into my arms.

ANNA: No, Horatio.

HORATIO: Anna...

ANNA: I was forced to do the unimaginable today. We both were forced to do something unspeakable today. God took one baby from me today. Never in my life have I ever imagined such a tragedy for either of us. 

HORATIO: Neither have I my precious, Anna. The words I shall say shall not ease our pain, but it is a glorious reminder. We still have our precious daughters. They are all strong and healthy. The children God still blessed us with are here. 

ANNA: How do we live without Little Horatio? (looks at baby Tanetta) I loved him so much.

HORATIO: We both loved him greatly. Please don't forget my precious, Anna. God loved Him too. He still loves us and our daughters. 

ANNA: I wish I was wrong.

HORATIO: I don't understand.

ANNA: (looks back at Horatio) The day we received the unfortunate news from the doctor. I wanted to be wrong. How God takes away. I wanted to be wrong. At that time, I believed I would be strong enough to face this tragedy. Yet, I soon realized how weak I am.

HORATIO: (gets down to his wife's level) Don't say anymore. Anna, you are far from weak. Yes, we did lose our son too soon. Because of this unfortunate circumstance, we need God more than we have before.

ANNA: I'm afraid, Horatio.

HORATIO: There's no need to fear. (touches Anna's face for a moment) 

ANNA: The same day, when we received the news. You mentioned how much God has blessed us. What if He takes what He has blessed us with one by one? What if we were not thankful enough for what He has provided? 

HORATIO: Don't allow your thoughts to go any deeper my precious, Anna. God is not against us.

ANNA: Please check up on the guests. 

HORATIO: Of course. (Horatio gets up, then walks out of the bedroom. Once he's outside the bedroom, he tears up, then quickly wipes away his tears) 

later on after the reception

HORATIO: (Walks in with Annie, Maggie Lee, and Bessie. They see Anna sleeping with Tanetta in her arms)

ANNIE: (looks at her father) Shall I wake her? (Horatio nods his head)

HORATIO: Yes, but gently. 

ANNIE: (gently taps Anna, then Anna wakes up) Mother.

ANNA: (smiles at Annie, then the rest of her daughters) Oh my. How long have I been asleep? Is the reception over?

HORATIO: Yes, all of the guests have left.

ANNA: (closes her eyes, then opens them again) I must be the worst guest in all of Chicago. 

HORATIO: Do not worry, Anna. Everyone understands.

ANNA: I do not.

MAGGIE: What do you not understand, Mother?

ANNA: I do not understand why God allowed Little Horatio to go. The boy was only four years old.

BESSIE: It is okay, Mother. (walks over to Anna and touches her hand) 

ANNA: (in tears, then looks at Horatio) Why would you bring them up here?

HORATIO: To remind you what God has allowed us to keep. (Annie and Maggie Lee walk towards their mother as well) We will get through this.

ANNA: How? It seems impossible to go through such pain.

HORATIO: With God, all things are possible.