Scene 1: Spafford cottage (living room)

(1871 Chicago)

ANNIE: (8 years old, plays What a Friend We Have In Jesus on the piano for her younger sisters Margaret "Maggie" Lee and Bessie in the living room) 

MAGGIE LEE: (6 years old) Again! 

BESSIE: (3 years old, holds her doll) Again! 

ANNIE: Maggie Lee, Bessie. I am not sure if I have any strength to play anymore. 

BESSIE: Verna (holds her doll tighter) wants to hear more! 

MAGGIE LEE: Please Annie. Mother is with Little Horatio and Father did not arrive home yet. 

ANNIE: (sighs) I suppose I can play another tune. (plays again, then stops when their father, Horatio, walks into the living room)

ALL THE GIRLS: FATHER! (they all run towards Horatio, then he hugs all of his daughters) 

HORATIO: (43 years old) I trust that you girls have been behaving for your mother while I was away. 

ANNIE: Yes, Father. I played on the piano to keep Maggie Lee and Bessie busy.

BESSIE: And Verna! (gets angry at Annie for not mentioning her doll's name)

ANNIE: (rolls her eyes, then smiles at Bessie) And Verna as well.

HORATIO: (smiles at all his daughters) Splendid. Where is baby Tanetta? 

MAGGIE LEE: Mother put her to sleep.

BESSIE: And Mother said she is with Little Horatio. Can Little Horatio play with me now? 

HORATIO: (gets down to Bessie's level, then looks at her with sorrow) Unfortunately my precious, Bessie, your brother is still tremendously ill. 

BESSIE: Oh. (looks on the ground with sorrow)

HORATIO: (notices his daughter's sorrow, then lifts her chin up) Don't you be afraid my precious, Bessie. God will take care of your brother. (stands back up, then looks at all of his daughters) I will check on your mother and brother. Now I advise you not to play on the piano for the rest of the night. Your brother and sister must rest. 

ANNIE: Yes, Father. (smiles at her sisters) I am sure there must be something else we can do. Let us go to our rooms to find something to occupy ourselves with.

HORATIO: No running either.

ALL THE GIRLS: Yes, Father! (walks out of the living room)

HORATIO: (looks upstairs with a look of sorrow) Lord, please be with my precious son. I do not know why You allowed this disease to be placed on him, but I trust You, Lord. Please, provide a miracle for Little Horatio.