Scene 2: Spafford cottage (Little Horatio's bedroom)

ANNA: (29 years old) (sits on a chair by Little Horatio's side as he lays down on his bed) Do you want me to sing another song my precious son?

HORATIO II: (4 years old, lays down in his bed feeling weak) No, Mother, you sung enough for me already. (covers his mouth with his elbow as he coughs) I just want you to sit by my side. I will tell you when I want to hear another song. (Anna smiles at her son, then looks back as Horatio walks in) Father! (he says with his eyes wide) 

HORATIO: (smiles at his wife and son) Don't get too excited, Little Horatio. You must save all the strength you have. 

HORATIO II: I am really happy to see you, Father. 

HORATIO: And I am happy to see you as well, son. 

ANNA: (looks at her husband) Are the girls okay downstairs? 

HORATIO: They are now in their rooms. I informed them how they needed to allow their siblings to rest. (looks at Little Horatio) Son, do you mind if I talk with your mother outside? I promise it will not take long.

HORATIO II: (smiles at his parents) I don't mind at all, Father. When you two come back, will you both sing a song for me? (Anna smiles at Little Horatio, then Horatio)

HORATIO: I would love to. (Anna and Horatio walk out of the bedroom) Did the doctor come by here earlier?

ANNA: (nods, then tears up) I am so sorry, Horatio. Forgive me, I am not sure if I can repeat the words which were spoken. Though I heard them, I cannot believe it. I refuse to believe it. (weeps and looks away from her husband)

HORATIO: (grabs Anna's hands) My precious, Anna. How terrible could the news be?

ANNA: (looks at the door of Little Horatio's bedroom while she's still in tears) Our precious boy. The doctor has told me that our precious Little Horatio will not be here for long. 

HORATIO: (looks at the ground, then shakes his head) No, no, there must be some mistake.

ANNA: No. There is no mistake.

HORATIO: (in tears, then touches his wife's face) God has blessed us beyond measure so far. He has never let us down. God has provided all that we have needed. He gave us all of our children, this house, my occupation as a lawyer, He has never failed to provide for this family nor will He stop.

ANNA: Horatio, sometimes God takes away. 

HORATIO: My precious, Anna. I suppose we shall wait and see what God shall do about our son's destiny. (Horatio hugs Anna tightly as they're both in tears)