Immediately, Miss Reynolds stiffened. "No," she said with reluctance. "It is only recently I decided upon a gentleman worth pursuing. The others were quite beneath me, you understand."

"And does this gentleman know of the honor you have granted him?" I asked sweetly. Miss Reynolds frowned again as if sensing my sarcasm but not quite understanding it. "Is he here tonight? You must point him out to me."

"I have no doubt he will approach me the moment he comes in," Miss Reynolds told me.

Her certainty made me curious. Which of the men at the dinner party could she possibly have decided upon?

The silence that followed seemed to stretch on and on. Among strangers, silence has always made me nervous. This was no exception. Just as I was about to offer an excuse to move to Aunt Forester's side, the door of the drawing room opened.

Miss Reynolds swiftly directed a pleased smile at me. I responded with a polite smile of my own as the gentlemen entered. The last of the men walked towards us. My breath caught in my throat and I glanced from him to the young lady at my side. Was this the man she had set her heart on?

Mr. Richfield?

I didn't know what to think as the tall man drew closer. Having first met him at the first soiree Aunt Forester had taken me to, he and I had conversed at nearly every event I had attended since then. He was not titled, which made me wonder why Miss Reynolds, who came from a well to do family, considered him so superior to other men.

He was handsome, of course, with hair the color of sand and blue eyes. And there was the rumor I had heard hinting he was not penniless. Still, was that enough to attract Miss Reynolds' interest? I would have thought she would aim higher.

My interest, on the other hand—well, I never claimed to be holding out for a titled gentleman. Everything about Mr. John Richfield proclaimed him to be a most respectable young man. His kindness and attentiveness whenever we met had set me at ease and then charmed me, especially as I saw him display such care with any lady he came across.

Miss Reynolds was already on her feet and I quickly rose as well. "Mr. Richfield," I said, dropping a slight curtsy.

"Mr. Richfield," Miss Reynolds said at the same time, her tone bright and coy. The expression on her face was one of absolute delight as she held out her hand. "I was hoping we would have the chance to continue our conversation."

"Miss Forester, Miss Reynolds." Mr. Richfield bowed slightly over her hand and then pulled his own hand away. "I hope I'm not interrupting."

Miss Reynolds took a step forward. "Certainly not. Miss Forester and I were merely becoming better acquainted. Could I persuade you to take a turn about the room with me, sir? After sitting so long, it will be refreshing to have a change of scenery and I hear the paintings are exceptional."

Just as I resigned myself to watching Miss Reynolds flirt with him for the rest of the evening, Mr. Richfield said, "I was actually coming to request Miss Forester play the pianoforte for us. I have heard many times she is quite accomplished, but have yet to hear it for myself."

That brought my head up swiftly. Mr. Richfield held his arm out to me, a smile on his face. "Will you allow me to turn the pages for you, Miss Forester?"

"Yes, of course," I said quickly. I put my hand on his arm and let him lead me to the pianoforte. "I should warn you, I am not the master of pianoforte my aunt makes me out to be."

"I never thought Mrs. Forester to be the kind of woman who would exaggerate," my escort said, looking amused. "No, I think you are being overly modest, Miss Forester It doesn't become you."