Chapter Three

I choked. Of all the things I expected Mother to say right then, that simple statement had never crossed my mind. It took several moments for me to stop coughing and to recover my composure. "What did you say?" I asked, hoping I had heard her wrong.

"Your Mr. Richfield arrived two days ago," Mother said, her amusement seeming to grow. "He had dinner with us and then had quite a long conversation with your father afterward. I believe he is staying with the Sandwoods as they are friends of his family."

"Mr. Richfield was here?"

This time my mother laughed out loud. "Diana, did you not hear me? Not only was he here, he is still here now. Must you question me so?"

Amazed, I found I had nothing to say in response. "I was fully prepared to chastise you for not warning us ahead of time, but now I understand that it happened all of a sudden and you didn't think anything would come of it."

Still smiling, Mother poured herself some tea and sipped it. "I cannot believe he came." Happiness swept over me. Perhaps he did in fact like me. But then, I frowned. "Why didn't you say anything before this? You must have known I was anxious about the matter!"

"Certainly." Anything else she might have said was interrupted by the sitting room door opening.

"Diana!" Sarah's bonnet fell to the ground as she danced across the room. "Finally!"

Laughing, I stood up to hug her. At times, I envied my younger sister's bubbly personality, but now I was happy to see her. "What do you mean 'finally'? Aren't you the one who said you never wanted to see me again the day I left?"

"Why would I say something like that?" She pulled away from my embrace to snag a pastry from the tea tray, making Mother tut in disapproval. "Did you bring me anything?"

"Maybe. Did you miss me?"

Sarah waved her hand dismissively, cramming the pastry into her mouth. "That goes without saying, of course," she said, once she swallowed. She pulled a chair over as I returned to my seat. "Charlotte and I have had a wonderful chat. We have decided that since you have returned and can teach us a few new dance steps, we should have a ball."

"What would be the point of having your sister teach you new steps if no one else will be able to dance them with you?" Mother asked, ever practical. "Sarah, please pick up your bonnet."

"Well, Charlotte said her family could invite some of their friends from London," Sarah said as she obediently getting up to collect her bonnet. "Besides, there is Mr. Richfield. He would know the steps. We couldn't have him thinking we are not sophisticated because we don't know the latest dance steps."

I shook my head at that. "I doubt he would care about the dance steps you do or do not know. It's not the most important thing in the world, you know."

"You may not want to impress a prospective husband, but I know better."

My hands clenched around my teacup. "What did you say?"

"Sarah, your sister has only just arrived," Mother said, a weary note in her voice. "Please try to keep from arguing at least for the rest of the day."

"I'm not trying to pick a fight," Sarah said in protest. "She is the one being contrary. It's not my fault if she doesn't like hearing the truth."

Holding up her hands, Mother rose from her chair. "I don't want to hear it, Sarah. Is your father in his study?"

"Yes, Mama, he said he had some papers to take care of." Sarah reached for more pastries, but I snatched the plate out of her reach. "Diana! I want that!"