Chapter Twenty-One

I felt as though I couldn't breathe. It couldn't be true, but I knew I was right. Everything fell into place perfectly. He had returned for his ring knowing how much it meant to his father, and I had been in his way. How could he have done it, though? To our friends and neighbors?

"You look pale, Miss Forester," Philip was saying. He put his arm around my waist and pushed me forcefully away from the dance. Several people were looking at us with frowns. We must have disrupted the dance. "Let's get you some fresh air."

Before I could object or even think what to do, he pushed me out of the crowd. In the empty servants' hallway he guided me into, I jerked free. I refused to go a step further without some kind of explanation. "Philip, what did you do? What have you done?"

"I don't know what you're thinking—," Philip said, holding his hands up.

"I'm thinking —no, I remember— how I found your signet ring at the creek," I said, pointing at his hand. He flushed and hid his hand behind his back. "It was you, all this time. You stopped all those carriages and robbed all those people How could you? Philip, those are our neighbors. Our friends! And you stole from them?"

With a frustrated groan, Philip grabbed my arms. "Hold still for a minute before you start screaming, Diana. I have a perfectly good explanation—."

"There is no reason good enough for what you have done!" I said as I struggled. "Let go of me, Philip!"

"Would you just keep your voice down and listen to me?" Philip asked, tightening his grip. No one grabbed me without coming to regret it. Angrily, I kicked his shin. Yelping, he let go of my arms and jumped backward, grabbing at his injured limb. "What was that for? That hurt, Diana!"

What did he think it was for? He had robbed my friends and neighbors and hit me over the head. Now he was because I kicked him when he wouldn't let me go? Did he not see what he had done was wrong? And he wanted to explain it to me as if it would make everything better?

There was only one thing to do.

"I'm telling your father," I said, straightening to my shoulders. Mr. Knighton would deal with this, and I would go back to the ball. I'd apologize to Richfield for having ever wondered he was the highwayman. I spun to do as I said.

"Just listen to me for one minute, Diana!" Philip said, jumping forward and grabbing my arm.

"You're hurting me!"

"Diana!" Sarah came rushing to my side. "Philip Knighton, let her go this instant! Diana, are you well? What has happened?"

Immediately, Philip jerked away as a strong arm came around my shoulders. Richfield. "Is there a problem?" my betrothed asked a strange note in his voice. "Sarah and I were both concerned when you left the dance looking so pale, Diana."

I took a deep breath. There was only one course of action. "Sarah, please go find Mr. Knighton," I said, keeping my eyes on my once friend. "I think he will want to know his son is the highwayman."

The arm around my shoulders tightened protectively as Sarah gasped. "Philip?" my sister said in shock. "No!"

Philip said nothing and dropped his gaze to the floor. "I think you should do as your sister asked, Miss Sarah," Richfield said gravely. "Diana would not make such an accusation without cause. Mr. Knighton should be here, and your father as well."

For a moment, Sarah didn't move. I realized too late what she intended to do when she stepped forward. "Sarah!" I said, stretching my hand out in vain to stop her. Sarah brought her hand up and slapped Philip. He said nothing as she glared at him, only put his hand against his now reddened cheek. I flinched in sympathy.