Chapter Thirteen

I'm reasonably sure Mr. Richfield kept up a steady stream of conversation. I was just far too tired to listen with any degree of attentiveness. The movement of the horse made my head pound more, and my stomach wasn't feeling well either. I couldn't even distract myself by thinking about what had happened.

I may have drifted off because the next thing I knew he shouted at someone. "Get Mr. Forester!"

Father. Oh, I was about to be in so much trouble. Not only had I been alone on the bridge, but I was also now on a horse with a man's arms around me. My reputation was so—wait. Had I been alone on a bridge? Why had I done that? I wasn't supposed to have been, so that didn't make any sense.

"Diana!" Mother. Just hearing her voice made feel more at ease. She would take care of me, and everything would be just fine.

At the same time, though, I didn't want to worry her. I opened my eyes and forced a sort-of-smile. "Mother," I said, holding out my hand. She hurried toward us from the carriage; we must have just caught her before she left.

"Mr. Richfield, what happened?" Mother asked, reaching us. "Diana, are you well? Where are Sarah and James?"

"They are on their way on foot," Mr. Richfield said. He then hesitated, possibly trying to decide how much to tell Mother. "Diana was hit on the head."

Squeezing my hand, Mother frowned. "Hit her head? How?"

"We're not exactly sure what happened. Miss Forester, do you think you can hold yourself steady while I get down?" Mr. Richfield said, turning his attention back to me. I think I liked it better when he used my Christian name. Managing a brief nod, I entwined my fingers in the horse's mane to be on the safe side. Doing a rather excellent job of keeping myself upright, I waited until I felt Mr. Richfield's hands at my waist.

I slid to the ground and immediately stumbled when my ankle tried to twist the wrong way. Quickly, Mr. Richfield swept me off my feet, one arm under my knees and the other supporting my back. "I will carry her in, if that's agreeable with you, Mrs. Forester," he said. "She is not steady on her feet at the moment."

His statement drew a smile to Mother's face. "That's nothing new. Follow me."

Somehow, I had the feeling I should have been offended at my mother's comment, but I couldn't find the energy. "I can ride for a physician, or you may wish to send someone," Mr. Richfield said, striding towards the house. "I know blows to the head can be tricky things."

"When I see how bad it is, and know what happened, I will know better what to do."

As she led the way through the house to the bedroom I shared with Sarah, I wondered if Sarah had cleaned her side of the room this morning. I wouldn't be the only one embarrassed if Mr. Richfield saw Sarah's undergarments strewn across the floor.

Mother seemed to have the same idea because she walked much faster than Mr. Richfield. I saw her vanish into the bedroom and then come out a moment later. "Bring her in here," she said. The room was free of any of Sarah's usual mess when we entered.

Turning sideways to get through the door, Mr. Richfield carried me into the bedroom and set me down on the bed. He immediately stepped back as Mother reached for my bonnet. Remembering the pain when Sarah had tried to straighten it, I winced in anticipation, but Mother was much gentler as she untied the ribbons.

"Tilt your head forward, Diana." I obeyed Mother's command, closing my eyes. She unpinned my hair, and I felt some relief. "Where does it hurt?"

"Here," I said, lifting my hand to the general area. I flinched as she checked the back of my head with her fingers.