Chapter Ten

"Oh, please tell me you're not about to start jumping up and down," I heard Sarah say as I took a few steps forward. "You are positively ridiculous, Diana."

"Miss Forester. Miss Sarah," Mr. Richfield called out before I could tell Sarah to keep her comments to herself. There was a broad smile on his face. "I wondered if I would find you enjoying this beautiful day."

I laughed. "Well, you nearly did not." I gestured to where I hoped Sarah was still waiting for me. I wouldn't have put it past her to have walked on in protest. Glancing behind and seeing for certain, though, would have required too much courage on my part. "I was happy reading a book until my sister insisted upon dragging me outside."

"Then I am in your debt, Miss Sarah," Mr. Richfield said, making a half bow to my right. I felt a surge of relief Sarah hadn't been rude enough to continue on her way. "Are you walking anywhere in particular? Chasing the highwayman again?"

"We left Will behind, so we have not been searching for a hidden trail today. I don't think we're walking to any specific destination unless Sarah hasn't told me something. Would you like to join us?"

"I can think of nothing I would enjoy more," he said, holding his arm out. Smiling, I looped my arm around his and sent a glance at Sarah. She was already walking away. "Mr. and Mrs. Forester left today, didn't they?" He paused. "I mean your aunt and uncle, of course. Not your parents."

"Yes, they did," I said with a laugh.

"I suppose you are accustomed to others having to clarify which Forester they are speaking to."

I raised an eyebrow at him. "You haven't seen anything yet. My father had two brothers, both of whom married and had children. Any large family event results in an abundance of Mr. Foresters and Mrs. Foresters and Miss Foresters. It must take the county at least a month to recover from such a wedding."

"Are weddings the only family event your entire family attends?"

Why had the word wedding been the first word to leave my lips? Horrified I had used that particular example, I said, "No! Of course not! Well, most of the time, I suppose but—."

There was no telling how long I would have tried to recover from my verbal misstep. I was so caught up in trying to explain myself I failed to watch my step. My foot found a rut in the lane, and I found myself off balance. With a cry, I fell forward, mentally preparing myself to meet the ground face first.

Instead, I found myself with my face against the front of Mr. Richfield's long coat. "I've got you," he said as he helped me regain my balance.

"Oh, thank you. I thought I was about to become intimately acquainted with the ground."

"I would not have let that happen."

My breath caught in my throat as my eyes met his. Mr. Richfield's right hand still grasped my arm, and his other hand was at my waist. I knew I should step back, but I couldn't force my legs to obey that particular command.

"Are you well?" he asked, his voice low.

"What happened?" Sarah's suspicious voice asked, interrupting the moment.

Looking over, I saw my younger sister standing with her hands on her hips, glaring at us. My face flushed red as I moved back. Mr. Richfield let go of me and cleared his throat. "Your sister stepped wrong and nearly fell. I was able to keep that from happening."

"Right," Sarah said, her tone disbelieving. "Diana, I am ready to return home now. I think I know exactly where my arrows were stored."

Why was I not surprised? "That's good," I said, shocking myself with how steady my voice sounded.