Chapter Seven

Of course, there was no possible way I could catch him. Our game of chase ended when I finally lost sight of Will. Breathing heavily, I slowed to a walk. I plucked the petals off one of the wildflowers I'd gathered as I made my way back home.

I had nearly reached the edge of the gardens when I saw a black horse race across the horizon. I knew it immediately: Phillip Knighton's favorite horse. Pausing to watch the distant figure ride out of sight, I felt a moment of sadness. There was a time, once, when I would have waved to him to catch his attention.

Shaking my head, I hurried around to the front of the house. I bit back a laugh as I saw our father had managed to catch Will by the arm. "Will, what happened this time?" he asked, a note of resignation in his voice as I drew nearer. He inspected my muddy brother with a raised eyebrow. "Were you out looking for the highwayman?"

Will managed to look abashed. "Yes, sir. But—"

"Young man, I want you to go in and clean up before your mother catches you. You can tell me about your adventure when you are not covered in all the mud in the county."

My laugh earned me a glare from Will before he went in the house. "Did the two of you have a good walk?" Father asked, turning to me.

Smiling broadly, I looped my arm around my father's, leaning against him affectionately. "It was informative." Deciding that telling my parents myself what had happened would be the best way to defend myself against Will's plan of attack, I said, "Mr. Richfield was riding today and walked with us."

"Was this an accidental meeting, or a lover's clandestine arrangement?"

I jerked to a stop at my father's overly dramatic tone. "Papa!" I could feel my cheeks burning with embarrassment. "Of course it wasn't! I wouldn't— Why would you—"

Father burst out laughing. "'The lady protests too much, methinks!'" His Shakespeare quote would typically have amused me. I hadn't gotten my love of reading only from Mother.

Pulling my arm free, I shook my head. "Papa! I know better than to do anything that would bring shame to the family!"

"Yes, I know, Diana." Father put his arm around my shoulders for a moment. "And how was this accidental meeting with Mr. Richfield informative?"

His tone was the epitome serious, but I had the feeling he was still teasing me. For a moment, I hesitated to answer. "Well, for one thing, he confessed his concern that Will and I were out chasing a highwayman. In fact, he was more than concerned; he was worried for my safety."

When I focused on my father, I saw his expression become thoughtful. "You're convinced of his affection for you now?"

"I suppose I am."

"And what do you intend to do about it?"

As seemed to be a habit now, I bit my lip as I considered. "Well, he has not spoken about the future. I think perhaps we are taking some time to become better acquainted. To be sure we will get on well enough to make a life together."

"That is a wise decision." He started walking, and I fell into step beside him. "Your mother told me about Sarah and her expectations. Has she recovered yet?"

"She seemed to. But, who knows what her thoughts will be once she gets back from revealing all to Charlotte Sandwood."

That drew a sigh from Father. It was no secret Sarah tended to be influenced a great deal by her friend. "Sarah must learn when some things are best not well known. If she gives you any more trouble on the matter, send her to me."

Smiling, I raised myself up on the tips of my toes to kiss Father's cheek. "Thank you."

"Now run along," Father said as we approached the house. "I have papers to look over."