Chapter One

"Diana?"

My aunt's voice pulled me from my thoughts, and she inclined her head slightly to the right. I followed her gaze to the young lady I'd only known a few short weeks. Her face held an expectant expression.

"Miss Jennings, I was seeking some clever way to say this but I fear I could not find it," I said, attempting to explain away my absentmindedness. "Your Mr. Carister appears to be a handsome man, and you are to be congratulated on your engagement. I wish you both much joy."

Miss Jennings beamed at my words. Similar expressions had no doubt been said since the happy announcement had been made earlier in the evening. She genuinely seemed to be head over heels in love with her new betrothed, something all too rare in our society.

"Thank you, Mrs. Forester, Miss Forester," she said, her tone sweet as she glanced between my aunt and myself. "I believe I see my mother trying to get my attention. Please excuse me."

I was more than happy to allow her to make her way to the other side of the drawing room. Her mother was surrounded by several of the matrons, no doubt expounding on the excellent match her daughter had achieved in such a short of time.

"Diana, my dear, do try to keep your head out of the clouds," my aunt said in a low voice. Her gaze slid past me and she walked away. "Ah, Mrs Richards. How lovely to see you again."

Left to myself, I found a seat apart from the other ladies, tired of the gossip that filled the drawing rooms every time the ladies waited for the gentlemen to finish their port. Part of me wished I had brought my hated needlework. At least it would have been something for me to do, and I knew Mother expected me to actually finish the shawl I had been embroidering for the last year.

"It's Miss Forester, isn't it?"

Surprised, I lifted my gaze to find a young lady standing in front of me. Her pale pink dress, though simple, was elegant. The dark brown eyes and fair hair were familiar, but I couldn't immediately think of her name. Admitting so would be horridly embarrassing.

"Yes, I am." As I acknowledged my identity, I rose to make my curtsy and tried to think quickly. After a moment, I had it: we had been introduced mere moments before we had gone in for dinner. She was the daughter of one of Uncle Forester's business associates. That narrowed it down enough I could remember her name. I gestured to the seat beside me. "Would you like to sit down, Miss Reynolds?"

"Certainly. Thank you," Miss Reynolds said, moving to sit next to me. "I do so dislike this part of the evening. It's dreadfully tedious listen to gossip that has already been shared. Nothing new can ever be learned by this point in the day. Do you not agree, Miss Forester?"

"I can't say I have ever been fond of gossip at any hour of the day."

My honesty made Miss Reynolds frown and tilt her head as she focused on me. "Why have we never met before this, Miss Forester?" she asked, her tone curious. "I have been here with my family since the beginning of the Season. Surely, we would have crossed paths at a ball or a dinner party before this."

"I only came up to London with my aunt and uncle a few weeks ago. My uncle had business to tend to and I was privileged to be allowed to come as well."

"You poor thing! How many delightful events you have missed! Could you not have convinced them to come sooner? Or to have your parents bring you? Everyone knows the most eligible gentlemen have been caught by this time."

"Oh, so you are engaged then, Miss Reynolds?" I asked, avoiding her questions. Forcing her to talk about herself was the only tact I knew would deflect the questioning from myself. It was a skill I had perfected on my younger sister, Sarah, who Miss Reynolds somehow reminded me of.