White Saturday - Monday, June, 25th 2012

June 25, 2012

Kyle Tricks

3:00 AM

 It was 3 AM when it was over.

 I think I was the first one awake. I was a light sleeper, and so when I heard the glass break upstairs my eyes were open. I grabbed the baseball bat on the floor and held it in my left hand, sprinting up the stairs three at a time. I saw the broken glass and infected crawling through it, so I just kicked it off. It fell the two stories and pinned another infected on the grass. I raised my bat and looked for the source of the moaning that was still ringing out through the upstairs.

 I saw it, quietly gargling its way to Lucy and the kids who were both still sleeping. It was missing its arm but was still very capable of eating the children. I pulled the bat back, and let loose with a crazy hit to the side of his head. It fell to its size extremely heavily with half of his head spattered over my arms. Thomas woke up groggily and sat up. He looked at the dead infected on the floor, and then to me.

 “Is it dead?”

 I nodded.

 “Thank you Kyle.” He lay back down and nuzzled his head into his mom’s arm.

 I bit my lip, and then got to work with the dead thing at my feet. I grabbed it by the ankles and dragged it out the window, finally pushing it out on top of the rapidly expanding dog-pile at the bottom. I mopped the blood off the floor and carefully pushed a few chairs and a couch in front of the open window.

 I was rather surprised that Ryder hadn’t come up to find out what was going on so I went back downstairs to see what coma he had gone and slipped into.

 I heard a familiar gunshot from outside as I saw his couch spot empty.

 Idiot.

 July 25, 2012

Ryder Blake

 2:30 Am

 I arose, letting my plan from last night come back to me. When I recalled every minute detail, I reached into my backpack and grabbed the gun in the bottom of the bag. I put it in my belt, grabbed the backpack and my jacket, and walked to the front door. I took a careful look through the peek hole but saw an infected sitting against the wall and another roaming around right in front of the door.

 Knowing I wouldn’t get out that way, I checked several windows before I saw the floor to ceiling one at the top of the stairs with moonlight shining through it onto the floor. I walked up to it, opened it, took a moment, and jumped. I tried to land paratrooper style, straining to spread out weight but when I hit I felt something snap in my leg and screamed out into the night. That got the attention of every infected in the area, which was bad. Even worse, there was an infected making his way up a levelled garden so he could get to the window I went through. It was partially closed, but not enough; the infected would still have no trouble smashing the glass. He would be a while though I guessed.

 It took nearly twenty minutes to get up and start walking after machete-ing the infected in my way to small pieces. When I finally got moving, the pain wasn’t so bad in my leg, so I started a light jog to the field. When I got there I saw the number of infected had nearly doubled. I gulped, realizing I had really bit off more than I could chew. Despite the fact that the odds were really against me, I dived right into the crown, pressing the barrel of my gun to the first infected I saw and firing. The kick was still bad but I had grown to expect it now after the first shot.

 I got through about four infected before I took an opening. I ran straight through, ironically shouldering an infected in football pads out of my way. When I was sort of in the clear, I turned around to take a shot at the closest infected, who was about ten feet away. It was night time and I was firing with one hand at a moving target. I completely missed the thing, but managed to hit one behind him in the arm. I turned around and ran into the woods that surrounded the field, my leg hurting less and less as my level of adrenaline rose.

 I turned around to take another shot at the infected that were spawning out of the woodwork, but tripped on a root. I yelled out loud as I heard and felt a definite snap in my leg. The thing was twisted and wasn’t moving too much. I dropped the machete by my side and held my leg for a moment, trying to get it to move again, but it didn’t. As I began to accept my fate I held my gun in both hands and eliminated the closest infected. When it went down there were more behind it. I got three infected with four bullets before I heard the click of an empty gun. I yelled and swore at the infected who kept stumbling towards me. I grabbed my machete off of the ground and prepared to do what would likely be the last use of my energy. I swung the blade and decapitated the one in front of me, heaving as the body fell onto and flattened me. I screamed for help at sky, but I was pretty sure that the no help was coming to me.

 Happily, I was wrong.

 The infected that was lying on top of me collapsed to the side to make way for a view of Kyle with his baseball bat. Behind him was Meline who was pulling a knife out of the eye of an infected. The entire group was here, including Lucy who looked so out of place with her shotgun in position, both barrels pushed underneath the chin of an infected. She pulled both triggers and the thing’s head exploded.

 Kyle grabbed my arm and pulled me up roughly. I snatched my gun and put it in my belt. “There’s still too many. We need to get out of here!” I said, wiping the blood from the infected that had been on top of me off my face. I still needed to balance myself so I held my hand on his shoulder.

 “Yeah, well we wouldn’t have been here in the first place if it wasn’t for you!” Meline yelled as she kicked an infected over for breathing room.

 Instinctively the entire group and Lucy went back to back in a circle as the infected surrounded us. I took as good a swing as I could with my new injury at a nearby infected with my machete and killed it, stumbling more with the follow through.

 We were doing okay when I could stay balanced with the help of Jonas but they were hundreds and we were one. It was longer and longer in between kills as we got more tired. I realized we were done as I swung the blade that felt heavier than ever at an infected. But for the last time, I was wrong.

 A single shot rang out and an infected a few zombies back fell. Everything went quiet for a second. Then there was a torrent of bullets flying through the air into this crowd of infected. We thought only to run towards the high school, where the shots were originating from.

 I spotted the door, seeing the three figures dressed in black. One was holding a pistol with one hand and holding the door open with the other. The second was using an aluminum baseball bat to beat down an infected, and the third was giving an infected a moment to get closer before he pushed a kitchen knife into its head.

 As the bullets whizzed by we slid into the school. The three people who we now realized were dressed in black or blue hoodies ushered us inside, taking out the closest infected before shutting the doors and pushing some tables against them.

 Kyle fell onto the floor, panting. “Can we all agree…”, He took a few heavy breaths. “That these goddamn things, are called zombies?!”

 The group groaned a collective yes.

 I limped up to one of the people in a black hoodie, using my surroundings to keep me up, this one was a girl, as I could tell by her long strands of hair extending out of her hood. “Hey. Thanks for saving us out there.” I said, feeling it was no compensation for what happened, but it was still needed.

 She turned around, and my heart skipped a beat. “No problem Ryder.”

 She pulled off her hood, revealing her head of stunning platinum blonde hair. “Oh.” I paused.

 “Hi Julia.”