Ch12: New Years Eve pt2

◼9 hours until midnight◼

I had just slipped my party dress over my body and put on my shoes when Remi bursts into my room.

"What up girly?" She smiles at me, sipping something in a bottle. She's already drinking.

"Just getting ready for tonight. What're you drinking?" I ask, pointing at her bottle.

"Wine. Want a sip?" She hands me the bottle. I'm not allowed to drink tonight.

"No thanks. Maybe later," I lie, even though I want to low key chug the whole bottle.

"Your loss."

I shrug and put on some mascara. She continues standing and watching me.

"Do you need something?" I ask as I apply some nude lipstick.

"I need your help with something," she asks quietly. She seems nervous.

"Of course. What's up?" I move away from my mirror and sit on my bed. I pat the spot beside me. She rushes over and sits next to me.

"I think... I think I'm going to meet my mate tonight," she barely says, as tears flood her eyes.

"That's great!" I smile widely and throw my arms around her. She starts crying. "What's wrong?"

"I'm not ready for a mate. I have a bad feeling about him," she sniffles and wipes her eyes.

"Like what?"

"Like he's bad. I just have this feeling I'm going to meet him and... be rejected or reject him. I'm so scared, Em," she whispers the last part. My fearless best friend is afraid of meeting her mate. I think my heart just broke a little.

"I'm sure it'll be ok. Do you want to stay home?" I wrap my arm around her as she continues to sob. She shakes her no.

"The moon goddess says I have to go," she sobs harder. I can't deal with her crying like this.

"Its going to be ok," I rub her shoulder, trying to calm her down.

She leans her head on my shoulder as she tries to stop crying. We sit there for another five minutes before were just sitting in silence.

"I love you, Rem," I whisper, unsure if I actually said it aloud.

"I love you too," she whispers back. And its true, we love each other like sisters.

◼◼◼

◼8 hours until midnight◼

I had to change my dress because Remi cried all over it. I don't mind. She needed a shoulder to cry on, so I don't regret anything.

I settle on a black cold shoulder dress and silver sparkly heels, with a silver sparkly purse. I twirl in front of the mirror, happier with this choice over my last one.

"What're you, a ballerina?" Axek asks, leaning casually against my door frame. He gives me a lopsided smile.

"If you jusyt know, I am indeed," I roll my eyes, and turn back to the mirror.

"Stop checking yourself out. Its weird," he walks over to me. I slap his chest.

"Like you do all the time? I'm surprised you haven't glued a mirror to your hand yet," I smirk at him. He frowns at my joke about his self obsession.