Chapter Twenty Nine

Marley

I wasn't sure how I felt about Trent, but he was falling hard and fast for me, or at least, that's what Sarah keeps saying. She wants to double date, but I haven't been able to find a second for myself since coming home.

I don't blame my parents for hovering because I'd do the same in their position, but I don't want them to see how much I'm struggling with adjusting to home and school.

All the friends, except for Sarah, had been made through high school and that's the one part my brain seems to be glitching on. So for the second time in my life, I'm starting all over again, except they already know me.

Home has been the hardest, though. I knew it was home, I remembered that much. However, heaps of things had been changed and so it didn't feel like home. Adam helped me rearrange my bedroom, which kind of helped.

I wished things would just go back to normal, whatever that is.

Sarah rummages through my wardrobe and returns with another t-shirt. She holds it up to herself and smiles.

"What about this? Super cute, but also worthy enough for a date."

"Sure."

She turns from side to side and screws up her nose.

"I'm not vibing with it anymore. We need something else."

"Just give me the damn shirt," I grumble.

Sarah tosses the shirt and I tug it on. It's tight around my bust, then flows around my waist, giving me a nice figure.

The doorbell rings and her eyes light up. She grabs her handbag from my bed and races downstairs. I collect my things and wander after her.

Josh and Trent are standing in the entry with Adam, who looks a little sad. I poke his side and offer a small smile.

"You could come with us."

Sarah shoots me a look and I roll my eyes.

"Enjoy your night." Adam sighs.

Trent takes my hand and we walk to his car. He opens the door and I slip into the front seat. I lean against the window while Sarah rattles off song suggestions which Trent nicely complies to.

Once we arrive at the beach, we pile out of the car. Josh grabs a picnic basket from the boot and Sarah gushes over how cute they are for organising this.

Sarah and Josh bound a head in search for the perfect spot, while Trent and I hang back. Waves crash against the soft sand and the sun slowly sets, turning the sky pink and orange.

"What's wrong?" Trent bumps his shoulder into mine.

"Just worried about Adam," I admit. "He's been upset all week and he won't say why."

Trent awkwardly scratches the back of his head.

"You know, don't you!"

"Adam's gay."

"What?" I gasp.

"He was very drunk one night and he kissed me."

"Oh no."

"Nothing has changed between us, he's a good friend. Except I don't have feelings for him."

"This explains a few things." I sigh. "I wish he hold me he had feelings for you."

"Once he's ready, I'm sure he'll share it with you."

"I hope so."

Once we reach Sarah and Josh, the blanket is spread out and she's taking food out. There's a cheese and bread platter, sandwiches and some fruit.

"Fish and chips would have been perfect." I chuckle.

"We could do that when they aren't here." Trent whispers under his breath.

I sit beside Trent and he subtly moves closer.

Trent hands out paper plates and we dig into the yummy food. While we eat, Trent steals sideway glances which makes me smile.

Everyone had ideas of who I was, but nobody's answers felt right. I'm half lost in a world where everyone sees me. Somehow, Trent sees me for who I really am, even if I don't know who that is just yet.

Perhaps there's more to us than he originally let on.

* * * * *