Chapter Twenty

Marley

Music explodes through the speakers as the credits roll down the screen. Dim light from the television screen gives a soft glow to Trent's face.

"What's the next movie?"

His smile is lopsided and his brown eyes sparkle with joy.

"You can watch another movie, but I'm tired."

"Please don't go to sleep."

He shakes his head and stretches his arms above his head. Trent stifles a yawn and snuggles under the blankets.

"I have school tomorrow, you know?" he teases, "I can't spend the night watching movies with you, I'll be exhausted and I have hockey training straight afterwards." Trent runs his hands through his hard hair, poking it up in different directions.

"You're acting like it's midnight when it's only eight." I sigh.

"Just one more movie."

"Thank you."

Trent passes me the remote and I flick through the movies until I find something worth watching. He gathers pillows from the bed and piles them around himself.

"Are you comfortable?"

"Yes." He nods.

The opening credits play and Trent yawns.

"I know you're bored, but can't you pretend you're not?" I chuckle.

"But I'm bored." He pokes his tongue out.

"I'd be sorry, but I struggled through the movie you picked."

"What's your favourite colour, Mars?"

"It's pastel blue, what about you?"

"Mint."

"What is your favourite thing to do?"

"Before this happened, sleeping. You don't have to tell me yours because it's rather obvious it's hockey." I chuckle.

"Hm, why do I feel so judged?" He laughs.

"I don't know."

"What do you want to do after high school?"

"If I make it out alive, I was thinking about a majoring in history or something."

"Someday soon, we'll be sitting on this couch complaining about exams and homework."

"Why does that sound so good?" I sigh.

"You'll get there."

"You'll be a superstar hockey player, probably in a million dollar house on the beach."

"Perhaps." He shrugs.

"What would you do if you weren't playing hockey?"

"I'd run a hotel chain but in the hills."

"You don't like the beach?"

"I prefer the outdoors."

"Same here." I nod.

Our attention turns to the television, but I find it hard to focus on the storyline. Trent's eyelids flutter closed, so I cough.

"Don't fall asleep you oldie."

"I'm falling asleep," he mumbles.

"Please don't leave me."

"I won't." He smiles.

He softly snores and my heart sinks.

"Goodnight, Trent," I whisper.

I snuggle under my blanket and close my eyes. If only my heart had a beat, if only I was actually sitting here, then this moment would be perfect.

* * * * *