Chapter Sixteen

Trent

I'm an idiot, I should have kept my mouth shut. I can't blame her because she'd be alive if I told the team we shouldn't verse them, if only I'd just taken the chance to make the goal.

I return to Jeremy's house and slump into a chair. My heart thuds and my t-shirt clings to my sweaty body. I trail my fingers through my hair and take a deep breath.

Wherever she is, I hope she's okay.

How can she be okay? She's a ghost with nobody to console her.

I really fucked up.

Adam stumbles outside and takes a seat beside me. He hooks his arm around my shoulder and half-grins. I tug on a smile with the hopes he doesn't realise I'm falling to pieces.

"Are you ready to go home?" I ask.

"The night is young."

"I know, but I have a thing with my parents tomorrow."

"Right." He nods.

"I'm sure Jeremy would be fine if you wanted to crash here."

"Don't worry, let's go. I think my parents would murder me if they knew I lied about tonight."

"I doubt they would." I chuckle.

I message my mother and wander inside to find Jeremy and the others. I wave goodbye to a couple, but Jeremy is nowhere to be found, or at least I don't want to find him considering he's probably in bed with someone.

"Let's wait outside," I shout.

Adam clutches his stomach and shakes his head.

"Come on, there's a bathroom just through here."

I grab his arm and pull him through the crowd and into the downstairs bathroom. Adam slouches over the toilet and empties his stomach. I crouch beside him and pat his back.

"Get it all out. If you spew in my mother's car, you'll owe me for the rest of your life." I chuckle, but I'm dead serious.

"Oh god," he groans.

"God can't save you." I laugh.

I pass some toilet paper and he cleans his face. He discards and flushes the toilet. I rummage through the cabinet and find a bottle of mouthwash.

With a smile, Adam takes the bottle and has a swig from it. He places the bottle down and braces himself against the bench. He falls to the side, so I pin his body against the bench and tap his cheek. His eyes flutter open and he groans.

"Mate, are you okay?"

Adam subtly nods before collapsing against my chest.

"You're so fucked." I laugh.

He snuggles into my chest and wraps his arms around my neck.

"You need to stand because I can't support your entire body."

"Mm."

Adam steps back and smiles.

"Are you feeling better?"

His hands slide down my chest, then he tugs me forward and presses his lips against mine. I freeze under his warm touch until he leans back.

"I kissed you," he mutters.

"Um, yeah." I nod.

"I shouldn't have drank that much." He shakes his head.

My phone buzzes, so I grab his waist and adjust him. We stumble out of the bathroom and outside. Mum jumps out the car and opens the back door so that I can shove him into the car.

"He's very drunk," Mum whispers.

"I know, but he's been through a lot."

"His sister is the one . . ."

"Yes."

"Let's get the poor guy home."

I climb into the front seat and peer over my shoulder. Adam is laid across the back seat with a smile on his face. I turn to the road and lean my forehead against the cold window. The feeling of his lips on mine tingles.

* * * * *