Chapter Twenty One

Marley

Trent slides under the blanket while I poke his cheek. He tries to swat my hand away, but I think I'm finally getting a hold of these ghost abilities. His hand smacks the air and I chuckle.

"You're acting like I forced you to stay awake through the early hours of the night, when in reality, you've only gone to bed maybe fifteen minutes after."

"Shh." He groans.

"You're going to be late for school. Ya know that place where you go five days a week?"

"What's the time?"

"Seven past eight?"

"Crap." He hisses.

Trent jumps up, but gets tangled in the blanket and face plants the ground. I bite my lip to hold in the laugh wanting to escape.

With a frown, he throws the blanket onto the couch and rushes to his wardrobe. He staggers out while shoving his t-shirt into his pants. He buckles his belt and tosses his tie over his shoulder.

I collect his school books from the desk and shove them into his backpack. Trent grabs his shoes and races down the hallway.

"You're forgetting your bag," I shout.

With a groan, he races back and takes the bag from me.

"I'd carry it for you, but your parents might have a heart attack." I giggle.

"Let's go before I have a heart attack! I've never been late to school before."

We hurry outside and Trent scrambles to get behind the wheel. He shoots down the driveway and zooms down the road. Soon enough, we're pulling into the school parking lot.

He races up the stairs, just in time for the first bell. Trent takes a deep breath and shuffles through the crowd to his first class.

Trent sits beside Jeremy who's chatting to a perky redhead.

"Hey Trent, Melissa is throwing a party this weekend."

"Sounds nice."

"You should both come." Melissa twirls a strand of dyed red hair around her index finger.

"I'm busy, but I'm sure Jeremy would love to attend." He plasters on a smile.

"What are you going?" Jeremy frowns.

"Dad and I are training this weekend."

"Can't you take a break? It's just one weekend. We have plenty of time until the big game."

"No."

"How can you miss the party? It'll be epic."

"There will be more epic parties after the game."

Jeremy rolls his eyes, then turns his attention back to Melissa. She slumps against her desk, which makes Jeremy grumble something under his breath.

"Poor Jeremy." I sigh.

Trent rolls his eyes and I chuckle.

I wander to the front of the classroom and snag a seat beside some skinny blonde dude with thick black glasses.

I hope I remember this because it'll make catchup work so much easier!

Once the bell rings, I pile out of class and wander down the hallway. Trent appears beside me and raises an eyebrow.

"Where are you going?" he mutters.

"Um." I frown. "To English?"

"We have math next, remember?"

I tug on a smile and nod.

"Of course, I was just testing you!"

"Let's go."

I step down the hallway and he sighs.

"We're going to be late if you go in the wrong direction." He sighs. "Is there something wrong?"

"Just a mental blank." I force a chuckle.

We turn around and I kick myself for getting it wrong. I've been wandering these halls for years, I should know where I'm going.

* * * * *