Chapter Ten: The Doughnuts

"I had a fun time

"I had a fun time." Will tells me as we pull into my driveway, the sky covered in a blanket of darkness as snow falls softly from the sky onto the windshield.

I smile, "Me too. Thank you again for dinner...and the ice cream." I laugh a little.

He nods, grinning, as his head falls back against the headrest with a low sigh. "Remember when we were kids and your mom told us we couldn't have any ice cream? And then we decided to go all Mission Impossible with the spy kits we got from my dad for Christmas?" He laughs, looks over at me, his teeth sparkling.

I nod, throwing my head back as I recall the memory. "We used those things more than should have been allowed."

He shakes his head, chuckling as he stares ahead. "They caught us before we could even get the spoons."

I smile, watching him as he closes his eyes, a ghost of a smile floating over his lips. "I remember."

"Do you miss those days sometimes? When things were simple?" He asks me.

I think about this, clenching my jaw. "I don't know...sometimes I guess. But I like who we are now...well, most of the time anyway." I laugh nervously.

His head lulls to the side to look at me, his full brows furrowed. "What? You're the best person I know. It's me who's messed up more times than I can count on both hands."

A gut wrenching feelings comes over me and my breath catches, looking into my best friends wide innocent eyes. "Will...I...I need to tell you something." My voice catches.

My heart begins pounding and a lump forms in my throat.

"Of course." He sits up, concern overcoming his handsome features. "What is it?"

I press my lips together, looking straight into his face. So full of love and respect. Concern for my wellbeing.

If I tell him now will I lose that look forever? Will my lies drown the respect, and my lack of love for him suffocate the love he has for me?

I'm afraid of the consequences. Something I've never experienced before. I've always been ready for what I deserve but as I open my mouth to confess, nothing comes out.

I'm frozen.

I'm afraid.

I'm a coward.

"Nothing. It's nothing I just...I wanted to tell you that you have something in your hair." I force a laugh, leaning forward and flicking at his hair. There's nothing there, of course. Yet another lie I've so blatantly told.

He rolls his eyes, fixing his hair. "You scared me, May. Don't do that to me." He laughs.

I force a smile, tears threatening to spill over. "Um...I should probably go inside. Liz is most likely watching at the window."