(XIII) Back Home

About 12 hours after I kissed my sleeping beauty, I was behind my desk in Paisley Park

    About 12 hours after I kissed my sleeping beauty, I was behind my desk in Paisley Park. It wasn't as welcoming as it'd usually be. Coming home from touring in Europe was usually something I looked forward to. This time around, it was like I was stepping out of a dream and back into reality.

Sitting there, calculating the distance that was between Lula and I was sickening. I couldn't just hop on a train or take a quick flight anymore if something were to go wrong. She was an ocean and 4,000 miles away from me.

     I was there just to check up on things.  I really needed rest, and a moment to breathe and get my mind back in order after everything that happened in London, but no luck.

Rita was on standby it seemed. Before I could even tell her I wasn't staying long, she trapped me in the office. "I told you to watch her and instead you leave her alone at the wedding. Do you know what this girl was doing while you hid in your car?" she asked, perching on the end of my desk, facing me.

"I'm sure you're gonna tell me all about it."

"First, that girl's wine glass was bottomless. She was a classy drunk I guess but still drunk. I went up to her and asked where you were and she told me, 'I don't know. Go find him for me.' I mean..." Rita scoffed. "She's like this..." Her fingers slowly closed into a fist. "I can't stand women like her. This rich, uppity—you know. And she was all over Kat's cousin, this very, suave Cuban dude from Jersey. They were like in their own little world." Rita finally noticed the disconnect in my eyes. "You don't believe me."

"I'm tired." My head rolled back on my chair as my body slid further down. "I didn't sleep on the plane and not very well last night." Beast and I chilled out in the bowling alley, and just because I could, I was sprawled out in the middle of the lane, pouring my heart out to him. He was a good listener, and a good buddy to let me talk myself to sleep on his fur coat. I missed him, too.

"Let me summarize it for you, then," Rita said, sweetly. "Don't get caught up. If you two are just having fun, like you and this Jissel girl, then that's fine."

Oh Jissel...who had already left me a hundred messages about her upcoming arrival.

"But Lula isn't the type of girl to get serious with. She's a serial dater. And she's still married, which I'm sure you already know, right?"

"She's not married."

"Oh, come, Prince," Rita cried, disappointed. "Why am I always doing your homework? I don't know his last name because her legal name is still Burberry because she never changed it—not surprised, but his first name is Daniel."

This conversation grew more uncomfortable by the second. And I had no energy to scold Rita about it.

"She never mentioned being married?"