Chapter Thirty Eight

Start from the beginning

I didn't care if I had to pretend I was literally dying. I didn't care if I had to slap him senseless. I had to stop Genji from fighting Hanzo.

Getting up from my cradled position on the floor with a new determination, I avoided the broken shards of glass decorating the floor like they were traps as I padded over to the bedroom. That was the only window that didn't have bars behind the pane of glass.

Deftly, I unlocked the window, and threw it upwards, poking my head out. The fresh cold breeze whipped my hair across my face, but I was still able to see the huge height in which I would have to defy to get down the street below.

I obviously couldn't jump. But I could do the next best thing: tie knots.

Scrambling like a dying fish, I yanked all the sheets off the bed, and took out as many clothes as I could from the closet. Sweaters, long-sleeved shirts, literally anything I could find. 

I was able to shoot a quick glance at the alarm clock in the room. To my horror, I had already wasted something like thirty minutes whilst I was in that dumb trance sitting on the floor. Assuming that Genji had taken our car, that would mean that I had to run to Shimada Castle, which would take fifteen minutes if I DIDN'T PAUSE AT ALL. 

I would be cutting it close. So I had to make this rope as fast as I could. Pushing my hair out of my face, I took one end of the main blanket, and tied it to one of the sheets as tightly as I could. Falling to my death would make things harder on everyone, now wouldn't it?

I heard a soft, unsure pat on the door. I tied the knot tighter. "Yes?" I called out.

"Are you okay in there, miss? Not doing anything crazy, I hope."

"Not doing anything crazy!" I hollered as I threw the finished end onto the window sill so I could tie a sweater to the end of the sheet. "Just waiting like you said!"

"I'm glad. And again, I'm sorry about holing you up in there like this. Would you like me to come inside? Make you a cup of tea to calm your nerves? You'd have to promise not to try to escape, of course..."

Marco started to open the door, sending me into panic mode. "NO! DON'T COME IN HERE!"

He froze. The door stopped opening. "Why not?"

"I'm... I'm... changing clothes. I'm naked. Very naked."

"Oh! My apologies, miss."

The door clicked shut again, causing me to let out a long breath of relief. I had tied something like four knots already, and was lowering it out the window as I went. 

I got up from my spot and stuck my head out the window again to see how far I'd gotten. I was about 3/4 of the way to the ground. As much as I wanted to make the makeshift rope even longer, I was running out of time. The last 1/4 of the way wasn't much to jump anyway. 

Heart hammering in my chest, I finally wrapped my end of the rope to the leg of the bed in the hopes that that would be enough to hold it in place. 

Then, I squeezed my way through the window on leg at a time, my hands never leaving the cloth in between them. I held on a tightly as I could, unable to stop glancing down at the distance I had to cover. 

I gulped.

I began making my way down the rope, lightly pushing off the wall as I descended, being careful not to let go. It was easier than I thought it would be. Ballerina practice was way more strenuous on my body.

My hands slid against the fabric a few times, consequently giving me a minor case of "rope" burn, but I didn't care. 

It was such a pretty day. It was a shame that I had to spend it doing something that scared the shit out of me.